This easy Pumpkin Pie Spice recipe is just what you need to turn your homemade baked goods into works of art this holiday season! With the perfect blend of warm and aromatic spices, this pumpkin pie spice is sure to make your fall favorites a whole lot tastier!
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
There is just something magical about the fall season. It makes me think of rustling leaves, warm fires and cozy blankets. And of course, fall baking! We go through a lot of spices (and sugar!) around here and every fall I make a big batch of pumpkin pie spice to get me through the holiday season.
Pumpkin pie spice is a common ingredient found in recipes starting in September and all the way through Christmas. It’s one of my favorite spice mixes to make at home because we really love all things pumpkin! Pumpkin-spiced treats are the best kind of treats and are a surefire way to make your house smell amazing.
Whether you’re making your favorite Pumpkin Pie, this impressive Pumpkin Cake with salted caramel frosting or this easy Pumpkin Cheesecake Trifle, homemade pumpkin pie spice adds just the right amount of flavor and spice to make them extraordinary! This recipe is perfect as a pumpkin pie spice substitute when you see that ingredient in a recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Our homemade Pumpkin Spice recipe is not only quick and straightforward but also allows you to add a personal touch to all of your fall baking creations.
- Aromatic. This easy mix is made with five of the most aromatic spices around which creates a truly heavenly aroma when you bake with it. Made from pure, natural spices without any fillers or artificial flavors.
- Versatility. This spice mix is perfect for a variety of dishes, both sweet and savory, and works just as you would use a store bought mix.
- Quick and Easy: Just five ingredients and five minutes are all you need to pull this recipe together.
What Is In Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Store bought pumpkin spice has nothing on this simple homemade version. Five simple spices combine to create a fragrant, warm, flavorful spice mix that is going to add the quintessential element to all your baked goods – it’s the perfect pumpkin pie spice substitute! Let’s take a quick look at what is in this easy recipe and, as always, you can find the full, printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- ground cinnamon – The base of this spice mix, the cinnamon adds warmth and a hint of sweetness.
- ginger – Adds zest and depth along providing brightness to the mix.
- nutmeg – Subtly nutty and slightly sweet, nutmeg perfectly complements the other ingredients in this spice blend.
- allspice – Adds the necessary complexity to the blend that creates it’s unique flavor profile.
- cloves – One of my all time favorite spices, cloves add a robustness to the blend and balances out the sweetness of the other spices.
Store in an airtight container, such as a spice jar, in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
Trish’s Tips and Tricks
- Using fresh spices gives the spice mix it’s best, most potent flavor.
- Always store in a dark place, such as a kitchen cabinet or closed pantry, as light can degrade the spices over time.
- Avid baker? Consider making a double or triple batch so you’re ready to hit the ground running for baking season.
- To give your spice blend some unique flavor, consider adding a quarter to half teaspoon of cardamom.
- While not perfect, this spice mix can be used in recipes calling for apple pie spice as well.
- Homemade pumpkin pie spice is an excellent gift for the holiday season. Place in a decorative spice jar, include a ribbon and a recipe card with your favorite pumpkin recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to use all five spices? I recommend using the exact measurements provided in the recipe card below. If you want to or need to omit any of the five spices, you absolutely can, but just keep in mind that the flavor will be altered.
How should I use this spice mix? Use it just as you would store bought spices. It’s delicious in all sorts of recipes such as baked oatmeal, coffee, cookies, roasted veggies, breads, pies and cakes!
More Fall Favorites
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Bread
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Mini Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Trifle
Easy Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and whisk together until well blended.
- Transfer to a small spice jar or other airtight container. Store in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
- Use just as you would store bought pumpkin pie spice.