Rice Krispie Treats are an easy-to-make and delicious snack and dessert for kids and kids at heart! It’s the perfect ration of a few basic ingredients that makes the BEST Rice Krispie Treat recipe. Super simple and ready in no time, with just 4 ingredients and a few minutes, you can be nibbling on a tasty treat in no time!
Perfect in lunch boxes, great with a coffee for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, or served at potlucks and parties, Rice Krispie Treats are a classic that everyone knows and loves.
This Rice Krispie Treat recipe couldn’t be any easier! And, once you’ve melted the butter and marshmallows, you’re most of the way done! You can make these fun snacks with your kids, share them with co-workers, and take them to BBQs. I love that they don’t need to be refrigerated, which makes them an excellent pick for lunch boxes and backyard parties.
Best Rice Krispie Treats
This recipe is a classic and everyone has their own version but I really feel like I’ve dialed in on the best ratio of those four simple ingredients: marshmallows, cereal, butter and vanilla extract.
I like to pull out about a cup of marshmallows to stir in with the cereal. It keeps them mostly whole and it’s a completely different texture than the rest of the treat which makes these Rice Krispie Treats more interesting and delicious.
More No Bake Desserts
There is nothing better than an easy dessert that you don’t have to bake. Here are some of our favorites:
- No Bake Cookies
- No Bake Cherry Cheesecake Recipe
- Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding
- Cannoli Dip
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
Rice Krispie Treat Ingredients
You don’t need much to make easy Rice Krispie Treats! This quick and easy no bake recipe is unbelievably delicious and requires just a handful of ingredients. As always, you can find the full, printable recipe in the recipe card at the end of this post. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
- mini marshmallows – I like to use mini marshmallows because they melt faster and more evenly than larger marshmallows. That being said if you have a one pound bag of larger marshmallows, those can absolutely be used.
- salted butter – you can use unsalted butter, but this Rice Krispies Treats recipe benefit from a bit of salt.
- vanilla extract – adds such an important flavor note in this recipe. Make your own vanilla extract at home!
- Rice Krispies cereal – You need 6 cups, which is a bit more than half of a 12-ounce box.
How To Make Rice Krispie Treats
- Prepare a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add all but 1 cup of the mini marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Stir in the cereal and remaining marshmallows.
- Transfer to the baking dish and press into an even layer.
- Let cool for an hour, then cut and serve.
How To Get An Even Layer
With all the marshmallows melted into the mixture, pressing the Rice Krispies into the pan can be a sticky mess! Here are a few tried and true ways to keep the mess to a minimum and still get perfectly compressed treats:
- Butter your fingertips – this way, you can press down the Rice Krispies treats without sticking to your fingers.
- Wet your fingertips – run them under warm water and shake off the excess. The mixture won’t stick, but you may need to repeat the process a few times. Just don’t soak the Rice Krispies.
- Use a spatula – a silicone spatula won’t stick as much, and if it does, lightly butter it.
- Butter an offset spatula – I love using offset spatulas for jobs like this. Lightly butter it, and it won’t stick.
Trish’s Tips & Tricks
- Rice Krispie Treats will stick to your casserole dish or cake pan, so make sure you spray it with non-stick cooking spray. A thin layer of butter will also work well, or for easy removal from the pan, line the pan with parchment paper.
- When adding the marshmallow mixture to your dish, it needs to be pressed down firmly but not super-compressed. See my tips above for pressing it down without a sticky mess.
- Don’t refrigerate this Rice Krispie Treats recipe – they’ll be super hard to bite into if they’re cold. They’re best served at room temperature.
Are you wondering how long Rice Krispies Treats last? They’ll keep in an airtight container on the counter for up to a week. You can also freeze them if you’d like to keep them longer.
To Freeze: Wrap treats in wax paper or parchment paper and place in a freezer safe ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Don’t use plastic wrap – they’ll stick to the plastic wrap and you could end up with a mess.
Are Rice Krispies Treats Gluten-Free?
No. Kellogg’s says that Rice Krispies are made with malt (from barley), which may contain gluten. And, they’re no longer offering gluten-free Rice Krispies cereal.
This is a very basic recipe but it’s a great starting foundation for so many flavors of Rice Krispie Treats. Check out my links below for more great recipes and here are some more ways to customize this simple dessert:
- Top with sprinkles or jimmies.
- Drizzle with candy melts or Ghirardelli melting wafers for a show-stopping dessert.
- Stir in orange or lemon zest and add a bit of orange or lemon extract to amp up the citrus flavor.
- Fold in your favorite cookies along with the cereal for a fun flavor twist.
- Check out these favorite variations below…
More Rice Krispie Treats Recipes To Try
- Snack Lovers Krispie Treats
- Almond Joy Krispie Treats
- Whatchamacallit Krispie Treats
- Watermelon Krispie Treats
- Cookies and Cream Rice Krispies Treats
- S’mores Rice Krispies Treats
How To Make Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie Treats
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows divided
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray or lining it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium low heat, stirring frequently.
- Stir in all but one cup of the marshmallows and continue stirring until melted.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Stir in cereal along with the remaining cup of marshmallows. Once combined, transfer it to the prepared baking dish and press down gently until mostly even on top.
- Let rice krispie treats set up for at least 1 hour before removing from dish. Cut into squares and serve.