This Banana Bread Coffee Cake has all the flavors you love in our favorite Banana Bread but in coffee cake form! This easy coffee cake recipe is topped with a delicious crumb topping and can be enjoyed at breakfast, for dessert or with an afternoon cup of coffee. So good!
Banana Coffee Cake
If you like Banana Bread and you like Coffee Cake… then you’ll surely LOVE this Banana Bread Coffee Cake!
Of course when you combine bananas, walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon… you know it’s going to be delicious!
I shared a few slices of this with my girl’s teachers and let’s just say I saw lots of good grades coming home this week! =)
Ok, I’m kidding a little… I did share some with their teachers and they did say they loved it, but I’m pretty sure any good grades were earned.
I will say it wasn’t only out of generosity that I shared some of this cake… it was because I needed to get it out of the house before I ate it all! =)
This moist and flavorful cake is perfect for a special breakfast or brunch, but is equally delicious any time of day!
I created this recipe in partnership with Sprouts Farmers Market and California Walnuts. I generally start in the bulk bin section… my girls start there too and they know I generally let them pick out one bulk bin snack of their choice. So while I stock up on my favorites, like these California Walnuts, my girls select a trail mix or snack or their choice.
I love baking with walnuts because the added texture and flavor really adds another dimension to baked goods!
And when I know that walnuts are packed with heart healthy Omega 3’s and that researchers have learned that walnuts may play a role in not only heart health but also brain health, weight management and more, there are just so many reasons to add delicious walnuts to my recipes!
Some of my own aunts and uncles are California walnut farmers… so I guess you could say my whole family is nuts for walnuts! =)
A little note about the bananas shown above… these are what I used because I didn’t want to wait on them to ripen a bit more. Feel free to use bananas that have even more brown on them for even richer banana flavor.
Also, just so we’re clear (in case maybe you’re outside the U.S.), the term “coffee cake” simply refers to a vanilla cake that generally has a cinnamon sugar topping and is delicious to enjoy with coffee (or tea, or anything). The cake does not contain any coffee. =)
But this cake does contain all kinds of delicious things like banana, walnuts, cinnamon and sugar…. and I know this Banana Bread Coffee Cake will be made in my kitchen again very soon!
More Cake Recipes
Banana Bread Coffee Cake Recipe
Banana Bread Coffee Cake
Crumb filling and topping
- ¾ cup butter cold
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon I used Spouts brand
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts I used California Walnuts, available at Sprouts
- 2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla I used Sprouts brand
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
Prepare crumb filling/topping
- Cut cold butter into small cubes and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl add brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Then add chopped butter and use a pastry blender or a fork to combine all ingredients until coarse crumbs form. Add chopped walnuts and stir to combine. Set aside crumb mixture while you prepare the cake batter.
Prepare cake batter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly butter, then dust with flour a 9”x13” baking dish (or spray with cooking spray).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of an electric mixer), beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and continue to blend. Add very ripe bananas and blend until well combined.
- While mixing, add eggs, then vanilla, milk and sour cream.
- Add flour mixer and stir until just combined.
- Pour ½ of the cake batter into the prepared pan, and then add a layer of the crumb topping (using a bit less than half of the crumb topping).
- Pour the additional cake batter on top (using an offset spatula to spread as needed), then top with the remaining crumb topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes.
Disclosure – I created this recipe in partnership with Sprouts Farmers Market. Partnering with brands I love allows me to provide you with high quality content at no cost to you. I only work with brands I use and love. All images, text and opinions are my own.