Cranberry Orange Cookies
Chewy and delicious sugar cookies get a flavor boast in this recipe for Cranberry Orange Cookies!
A good cookie can be just the perfect treat! Simple, portable, great for sharing… cookies are little disks of happiness!
These Cranberry Orange Cookies were inspired by classic holiday flavors and would be perfect as holiday gifts, or for a cookie exchange.
My girls and I enjoyed these as an afternoon snack, and packaged up a few extras as “sweet” gifts. I shared a quick photo of one of the packages on my Instagram account. (P.S. Following me on Instagram is a great way to keep up with my latest recipes, peeks behind the scenes, and fun things I find while shopping and traveling.)
These cookies are chewy, buttery have a subtle orange flavor. Packed with sweet-tart cranberries they are simply delicious!
If you wanted to get fancy, you could certainly add a little drizzle of white chocolate, or a simple powdered sugar and orange juice glaze.
These are quite delicious as is, and I’m sure I’ll be making them again as the holiday season approaches. They’d be a nice compliment to a cookie tray along with a couple of my other favorites, Hot Cocoa Cookies and Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies.
Cranberry Orange Cookies
Yield: 24-30 cookies
Chewy and delicious sugar cookies get a boast from the addition of cranberry and orange. Perfect for holiday gifts, cookie exchanges, or a treat any time of year!
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
zest of 1 large orange (2-3 teaspoons zest)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
2 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
3/4 cup roughly chopped sweetened dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350*F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat type baking mats.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar and blend until fully incorporated.
4. Add orange zest, egg, vanilla, orange extract and orange juice and blend until fully combined.
5. While mixing on low, slowly pour in the bowl of dry ingredients. Add cranberries.
6. Mix just until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
7. Use a 2 Tablespoon sized cookie scoop to scoop dough. I usually like to press down the balls of dough just a bit with the bottom of a glass (dipped in sugar to prevent sticking) for slightly flatter, chewier cookies.
8. Bake cookies 8-9 minutes or until cookies are set around the edges and slightly puffy. Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.