Christmas Marshmallow Pops

As we quickly approach Christmas, you may still be looking for a few quick treat ideas.  These simple marshmallow pops are easy to make and are perfect little treats, especially for kids.

You can serve the pops as a cute addition to a dessert table (as I did this year for our Gingerbread House Decorating Party), or wrap them up as little favors or gifts.

All you need…

One bag of large marshmallows

Chocolate

Sprinkles

Lollipop sticks

Small cellophane bags (if you want to wrap them up)

~ Directions ~

1.  Push a lollipop stick into each marshmallow.

2.  Melt some chocolate (I usually use Ghirardelli chocolate, or Merckens chocolate candy melts).  You will probably need 8-12 oz. of chocolate, depending on how many marshmallows you dip.

3.  Dip one marshmallow at a time into the chocolate.

4.  Allow excess chocolate to drip off, then sprinkle your choice of sprinkles onto the chocolate (hold marshmallow over a plate or bowl, to catch the excess sprinkles).

5.  Set the marshmallow pop (stick down) in a mug to allow the chocolate to set (you can put the mug of pops in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes)

6.  Once the chocolate is set, wrap each pop in a small cellophane bag, if desired.

A few notes on melting chocolate…

Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler, or in the microwave at 50% power.  If heating in the microwave, be sure to heat it for short intervals (about 30 seconds) at a time, stirring between intervals.  When the chocolate appears about 1/2 melted, remove from the microwave, and stir until fully melted.  Do not over heat the chocolate, it will burn and will not be usable.

If you plan to ship the marshmallows, or they will not be eaten for a few days, you may want to use a chocolate candy melt product, such as Merckens brand (available from several shops on-line, including Shop Bakers Nook).  Pure chocolate will begin ”bloom” (develop white spots) after 3-4 days (if the chocolate has not been tempered), the chocolate candy melts usually do not have this problem.

I used red striped lollipop/cake pop sticks I found this year at Cost Plus World Market.  As an alternative, you could use striped paper straws, or simply use white lollipop sticks, commonly available at any craft store.

To wrap up the marshmallow pops I used small (3″x4″) treat bags (available from most craft stores, such as Michael’s and Hobby Lobby), and tied the bags with red bakers twine (from The Twinery).

I was happy to discover that 6 wrapped marshmallow pops fit perfectly in the small (7″x 4.5″) cookie boxes from BRP Box Shop.

I packed up a couple boxes for friends, and finished them with some pretty labels (from Littlebeane Boutique).

Happy treat making!

20 Responses to “Christmas Marshmallow Pops”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Aww so pretty! Love these little guys.

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more — December 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I love how you packaged them, they looks great.

tijuana (po' man meals) — December 18, 2012 at 4:11 pm

oh, wow! so beautiful and cute! what my kids would do to get their hands on these.

Nechy — December 18, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Me encantan te han quedado preciosas y la presentación un 10!!
    Un besete y Felices Fiestas, Guapa!!

MeLissa Rocco — December 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I love making these little goodies! I typically am lazy and don’t use the sticks. I also like to use crushed candy canes for the sprinkles and call them dark chocolate peppermint snowballs. I also like to do white chocolate with shredded coconut for a even more snowball-y appearance when you cover the whole marshmallow. :)

Paula — December 18, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Fun treat for sure! I love your presentation of them and your gift box and tags are lovely!

elisa — December 19, 2012 at 2:56 am

wow. so cute. i love how you wrapped them up.

Cynthia — December 19, 2012 at 10:27 am

Such a great and easy idea!

Anu — December 19, 2012 at 5:38 pm

LOVE this idea! thanks Glory – I’m going to make these for an xmas party this sat! =)

Joy Adams — December 19, 2012 at 7:43 pm

So pretty. I love how they look when they are wrapped.

Cecilia — December 19, 2012 at 11:28 pm

These are so fun and I know from first hand knowledge that they will put a smile on the face of the person who receives them. YUM! Love you!

Cakewhiz — December 19, 2012 at 11:29 pm

So simple yet so beautiful! I love your packagaing, especially that customized sticker on the box :)

My2lovies — December 20, 2012 at 12:14 am

May I ask where you got the striped sticks, or did you create these? Thank you for your great inspiration!

My2lovies — December 20, 2012 at 12:17 am

I am sorry…I just read where you got the sticks…missed that the first time I read this…thank you! So adorable!

Karyn Heath — December 20, 2012 at 4:42 am

Just stumbled on your blog. Wow, you are so talented! I love looking at all your beautiful creations. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and then somehow came upon your “Glorious Truth” post :P ha ha that helped :) I am attempting some gingerbread cookies for the first time for my daughter’s kindergarten Christmas party. I am going to try to enjoy the process! And remember that in the end, they will just get gobbled up by a bunch of 5 year olds regardless of what they look like ;) thank you!!

margot — October 1, 2013 at 4:13 pm

LOVE this idea. I’m going to do it for Christmas!

1. Pingback: Marshmallows Navideños Tutorial | Biñuelito