How to Make Fondant Flowers

I’ve been working all week on some pretty desserts for a big luau party our friends host every year.  I’ll have several beautiful and delicious projects to share from the luau, over the next week or so.

I’m incorporating colorful fondant flowers on the cookies and cupcakes for the party, so today I’ll share the basics of creating the flowers.

These flowers make great accents on cookies, cupcakes and cakes.  The flowers can be made long in advance (up to a month or so), and stored tupperware type container.  They are a nice item to have on hand to dress up any baking project.

Before getting started, you’ll want to read through my previous post, Fondant 101, which includes coloring and rolling out your fondant, as well as basic fondant tools.

Supplies for making fondant flowers-

There are numerous kinds and sizes of fondant cutters, tools and molds available at craft stores and on-line.  As far as I know, the three cutters pictured above (the cutters I used the most often) are not sold (in-store) at most major craft stores.

1.  This is a three piece set that includes a flower shaped cutter as well as a top and bottom mold/veiner.  The set is a bit of an investment, but I think it’s a great set to have.  Available from Global Sugar Art, similar from Country Kitchen Sweetart.

2.  This is a plunger/cutter (by PME).  This is the 7/8″ size.  Available from Country Kitchen SweetartGlobal Sugar Art and Fondant Source.

3.  This is a mini plunger/cutter (by PME).  This is often sold in a set of three sizes.  The size pictured above is the largest in the set, the 1/2″ size.  Available from Country Kitchen Sweetart and Global Sugar Art.

*Note- I am not promoting any particular vendor, I just added links to make it easy on you.

How to make fondant flowers-

1.  Roll out your fondant (any questions on coloring and rolling out fondant, or basic fondant tools, see my Fondant 101 post).

2.-3.   Cut the fondant with your desired cutters.

4.  Using a small spatula, gently lift a flower from your work surface.

5.  To add shape and texture, place the flower in one side of your impression mold (shopping info at the top of this post).

6.  Top with the other side of the impression mold, and press together gently.   Use a bit of corn starch on both sides of the mold, as needed, to prevent the fondant from sticking to the mold.

7.  Open up the mold.

8.  Use a toothpick or boo-boo stick to gently remove the flower.

9.  Place the finished flower on a lint free cloth, or paper plate to dry.  I find the flowers usually keep their shape best if I place them on the plate upside down to dry.  Allow to air dry several hours before moving.  Once firm and dry, place in a tupperware type container (away from heat, humidity and direct sunlight) and store until ready to use (a month or so).

Use flowers to decorate cookies, cakes and cupcakes. (I’ll be sharing some examples soon!)

Looking for more small fondant projects?

Fondant Ribbon Roses (Glorious Treats)

Fondant Ladybugs (Glorious Treats)

Fondant Butterflies (Glorious Treats)

Fondant Graduation Caps (Glorious Treats)

Cake Journal has several wonderful tutorials for fondant/gumpaste flowers (and other shapes).

The Decorated Cookie has lots of mini fondant projects, from simple cupcake toppers to pumpkins and cute garden bugs.

29 Responses to “How to Make Fondant Flowers”

yogur — August 23, 2012 at 5:43 am

flower look so pretty ….<3 <3 cute post and i love your blog <3

meaghan (the decorated cookie) — August 23, 2012 at 11:51 am

Gorgeous!! And perfect advice for everyone. Thanks so much for linking to moi :) !

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — August 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm

very cute and now I want a flower former set!

Jaclyn — August 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I am in love with that flower mold. Can’t wait to see the finished products!

Joni — August 23, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Great tutorial and great colors. Joni

Blossomedge — August 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I make a fondant combining melted white chocolate and ready made frosting. Handles and looks very similar to regular fondant. It’s great because now the fondant flowers can actually be eaten AND enjoyed. Who doesn’t like the taste of a flower made with white chocolate?

Here’s the link:

Windy P. — August 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Soooooo pretty! That sea of fondant flowers is just breathtaking. Thanks so much for the tutorial. :)

Jamie Wells — August 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm

You make it look so easy !! Thanks for sharing, the flowers are beautiful! :)

Beth V — August 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Gorgeous! Love the colors & can’t wait to see the deserts that get crowned in them!! I often use these flowers when decorating cupcakes. But, I use Wilton’s plungers and mould set out of their Gum Paste Flower set. It has 3 sizes to choose from or layer together along wiht a hydrangea plunger and instruction book. Love it!!

Monica J — August 23, 2012 at 4:11 pm

You definitely make it look easy. But using the cutters and impression mold look like something I can definitely do. I will have to try. Thanks!

pelplaerdecuinar gemma — August 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm

a fantastic tutorial! and beautifule flowers!

Barbara Pendleton — August 23, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing !

Tamara — August 23, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Just found some different molds to make the flowers, thank you for the tutorial :)

Chat Conversation End

Cecilia Midgette — August 23, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Very cute, but I think I’ll just have you make them for me instead! LOL
    Love you!
    Cecilia

Suzanne Perazzini — August 23, 2012 at 9:31 pm

What meticulous work and the result is so beautiful.

The BearFoot Baker — August 23, 2012 at 11:58 pm

The flowers are beautiful and make me happy;) It is going to be a wonderful party!

Lior — August 24, 2012 at 10:10 am

great!!

Joy Adams — August 25, 2012 at 5:38 am

I agree with Cecilia. =) I love you. Your work is beautiful.

Mi Vida en un Dulce — August 27, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I used to use flowers to decorate my cupcakes, but I made them very simple and never used mold/veiner, but know looking at your, what a difference…!!! I will order the veiner set, it wonderful how the flowers look at the end.
    By the way, the last time I made fondant flowers and due to the actual weather we have I couldn’t got them dry for an entire week, so looking at several places and applying different tips I saw the one the results was to leave the flowers in the oven overnight, with the oven off but with the light on. So that’s something that worked for me, and I wanted to share here with you and your followers.

Nara — August 28, 2012 at 4:28 am

Actually, fondant flowers shouldn’t ever be stored in Tupperware or any other kind of plastic container. They sweat because of the residual moisture, no matter how dry they appear to be. Store fondant flowers and other decorations only in paper and cardboard boxes – chocolate gift boxes are perfect usually, because of their shallow height. These flowers would double stack with paper in between but the more delicate flowers have to be kept off each other.

Shaile — August 29, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I love this.. your flawless cookie decorating and fantastically beautiful bright colors.. it is so wonderful to see…

Wendy — August 31, 2012 at 2:48 am

SO beautiful! What an amazing tutorial. I finally feel brave enough to tackle fondant, and can’t thank you enough! Would you be willing to share the names of the different icing colors that you used? They are perfect for a luau. You are SO TALENTED!! :)

margaret romero — September 5, 2012 at 3:11 pm

love the was you made you cookies and the flower are so neat.

sallyann — April 1, 2013 at 12:30 am

stunning colours. ive only just puchased a plunger cutter..ive been having fun today using fondant and colouring marzipan. i have no idea about the stuff you dust your board or hands with tho…dont even know if we have it in the UK….lol. i use icing sugar…the fine dusty stuff..maybie called confectioners sugar, to prevent sticking…is that ok too ? x

sally magero — May 1, 2013 at 8:00 am

beautiful flowers

Rakel — October 17, 2013 at 11:03 am

i love it. thank you so very much

Aarthi — April 11, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I love the way you made fondant flower making so easy. But had a question about storage. When you say these could be stored in a tupperware / cardboard for a month, do you mean inside the refrigerator or at room temperature?
    Thanks in advance