Delicious Chicken Salad Sandwiches {Recipe}

As promised, I’m posting the recipe for the wonderful chicken salad sandwiches I served at my recent tea party.  This is a bit of a first on Glorious Treats… a non “sweet” recipe.  Well actually, these delicious tea sandwiches are a bit sweet, due to the cranberries added in the mixture, but they’re not a dessert!

As a lover of tea parties, I’ve enjoyed quite a few delicious tea sandwiches over the years, and made quite a few myself.  This recipe is a combination of a few recipes I’ve tried over the years, with a couple of my own touches as well.  I’ve made this Tarragon Chicken Salad many times, and it’s always enjoyed by all.

~Tarragon Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches~

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast

1/2 cup fresh herbs, your choice (I usually use italian parsley, rosemary, and tarragon)

1 onion (yellow or red), thickly sliced

juice of one lemon

salt and pepper

2/3 cup chopped celery

1 small shallot, finely chopped

3/4 cup dried (sweetened) cranberries

1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans

1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves

1/2 cup sour cream (regular or low-fat)

1 teaspoon curry powder

salt

pepper

Bread- Light Sourdough, Shepard’s Bread, or similar.

~Roasting the chicken~

Spray a shallow roasting dish with cooking spray.  Layer the bottom of the dish with thickly sliced onions and 1/2 cup fresh herbs.  Lay the chicken breast on top of the onions and herbs and squeeze the juice of one lemon over chicken.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.   Roast, uncovered for 35 minutes at 375*F.  Cool and chop chicken for salad (discard herbs and onions).

~Making the chicken salad~

Combine chicken with remaining ingredients.  Taste for salt and pepper, and chill several hours or overnight to let the flavors blend.  Taste again for salt and pepper before serving.

Cut bread into small finger sandwich size.  Spread a small about of mayonnaise on bread (if desired) and place a tablespoon of chicken salad on each.  Serve immediately, or cover well with plastic wrap or a very slightly moist dish towel and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.

Recipe Source~  Glorious Treats

Enjoy!

13 Responses to “Delicious Chicken Salad Sandwiches {Recipe}”

Sue — May 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Sounds yummy! I'll take the scones too, please:)

Lisa Smiley — May 5, 2011 at 7:55 am

yum! have been trying to get around to making chicken salad all week! I will try this one! Thanks, Glory!

SweetSugarBelle — May 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Oh, I want this so so badly, but. I want you to make it for me! Sending mom over. She'd love this…

Mary — May 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm

This salad sounds wonderful and your photos of it are terrific. This is my first visit to your blog, so I've taken some time to look around. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Sweet Scarlet — May 5, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Read my mind! Yummo. Love the photo too. I'm starting a blog too, first post is coming in the next day or two. Would love for you to follow :) http://sweetscarletdesigns.blogspot.com/

Anderburf — May 9, 2011 at 1:48 pm

This sounds great! I recently got some Himalayan pink salt and organic peppercorns from Sustainable Sourcing https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com and I'll have to try them out in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous — May 13, 2011 at 5:56 pm

You got my vote! I tried to vote more than once because you rock!!!!

Christine — May 22, 2012 at 7:19 am

Thank you! I'd love to know what herbs you choose to use.

Justine — September 26, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Wondering how many the chicken salad recipe will serve.

• Glory replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 7:17 pm

Justine, The number of sandwiches will depend a lot of the size of sandwiches you’re making. I can usually get at least 10-12 full sized croissant sandwiches from this recipe, or quite a few more if I’m making small tea sandwiches.

Marisa — February 8, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Oh my gosh, you are brilliant! I love your ideas and they have inspired me tremendously for an upcoming welcome home party that will take place this Spring.

Donna — July 11, 2014 at 8:18 pm

This is a very tasty recipe, thank you so much for sharing :)
    I bake my chicken pieces in a similar way but instead of discarding the herbs and onions that I nested the chicken on, I transfer to a saucepan (along with chicken bones), add roughly chopped carrots, celery, fresh herbs & water. I season to taste & after boiling, I reduce the pan to a slow simmer for 1 hour.
    Voila… delicious roasted chicken stock! I pour the cooled, strained & skimmed stock into a zip lock bag & freeze.

1. Pingback: Blue and White Party » Glorious Treats