Several weeks ago I shared this simple yet pretty Blue and White Party (pictured), which included an easy D.I.Y. Paper Polka Dot Garland as decoration. I promised I’d share the full tutorial, but the weeks have clipped along and I’ve been busy sharing cupcakes and punch and ice cream. So before I get distracted again, I’m here to share the instructions on this easy paper garland.
This fun polka-dot garland is quite simple to make, could be made in any color and for most any occasion. The options are limitless for this fun garland… hang it behind a dessert or food table (as shown), hang it in front of your fireplace mantle (while not in use!), hang it in front of a window, or hang it in a child’s bedroom.
I love party crafts that can be made weeks in advance, and then take only moments to set up before the party.
Here’s how to make the paper polka-dot garland…
How to make a Paper Polka-dot Garland
- Craft glue
- Cardstock weight paper in the color(s) of your choice.
- Twine, string or thin ribbon
1. Cut out various sized paper circles using a paper punch, or cutting machine (such as a Cricut or Silhouette). Feel fee to make all the circles the same size if you like. For this garland I used circles that range from 1.5″-3.5″ diameter. I also used three different shades of blue paper. Use cardstock weight paper.
2. Line up the circles in a pattern, or randomly (as I did). Lay out a piece of twine (I used bakers twine from Bakers Stock), do not cut it, just roll it off of the roll. Apply a very thin bead of craft glue along the center of a paper circle, then lay the twine on the glue. (Do not use too much glue or it may warp the paper a bit)
3. Continue gluing the twine to the circles, spacing as desired. Allow to dry flat until the glue is fully dry.
Optional- If you will be hanging the garland where it will be viewed from both sides, you may want to put two matching circles back to back, with the twine glued in-between, although I don’t think it’s necessary.