This past weekend I wanted to make a yummy dessert for visiting family, but was short on time. I needed something that would come together quickly, but still be festive and delicious.
I love rice krispie treats, and often rely on them when I need something quick. With rice krispie treats in mind, I looked in my cupboards and found Trader Joe’s Candy Cane Joe Joe’s (how did they get there?). I thought the hint of mint would be a perfect way to add a festive touch to the treats. In a short time, I had a whole plate of pretty Peppermint Oreo Krispie Treats! (I’m using the term Oreo here because everyone knows what they are, but as I mentioned, I made these with Peppermint Joe Joe’s)
My sister-in-law declared these to be the best rice krispie treats she’s ever had! And I think everyone else loved them too, because the plate was empty by the end of the night.
These are a perfect quick treat that travels well, and can be packaged up as sweet little gifts.
Love rice krispie treats? I have several other cute and delicious variations filed with the Brownies & Bars (here).
How to Make Peppermint Oreo Krispie Treats
Peppermint Oreo Krispie Treats
- In a large bowl, add cereal and crushed cookies. Mix to combine.
- In another large, microwave safe bowl, add marshmallows and butter.
- Microwave 2 1/2-3 minutes, or until the marshmallows are super fluffy, and melt together when stirred.
- Stir together, until the marshmallows and butter are fully combined.
- Pour melted marshmallows on top of the cereal and cookie mixture. Use a spatula that has been sprayed with cooking spray to quickly mix the marshmallow cream and cereal together. Stir until combined.
- Quickly, pour/scoop the sticky mixture into a prepared 9"x13" pan. Spread the mixture around, and press down with spatula.
- While the cereal treats cool, crush 2 or 3 candy canes in a small ziplock bag. Sprinkle crushed candy on top of krispie treats.
- Melt the white chocolate by placing chocolate in a piping bag or heavy ziplock type bag, and microwave at 50% power until nearly melted. Kneed the bag a little in your hands (careful- it will be hot!) Snip off the end of bag and drizzle chocolate on krispie treats
- Repeat as above with semi-sweet chocolate.
- Top krispie treats with mini M&M's or festive sprinkles.
- Allow chocolate to set before cutting into squares.