Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are delightful twist on a classic and a guaranteed hit with peanut butter lovers! This easy-to-make recipe is the perfect snack or dessert for kids and kids at heart. The perfect addition to BBQs, potlucks, parties and holiday gatherings!
Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
These Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are a creamier, more decadent version of our classic Rice Krispie Treats recipe. The creamy peanut butter adds richness and decadence to this simple recipe and creates another delicious variation on our favorite recipe.
Rice Krispie Treats continue to be a favorite treat for parties, holidays, potlucks and more for a few simple reasons:
- Easy To Make. In less than 15 minutes, I can have a batch of these treats prepared and setting up. They are a go-to for pretty much any occasion because they are just so easy to make.
- Few Ingredients. With just 5 ingredients, these rice krispie treats come together quickly and effortlessly.
- Customizable. Add some mini chocolate chips or a chocolate or caramel drizzle on top for a fun twist.
Perfect in lunch boxes, great with a coffee for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, or served at potlucks and parties, Rice Krispie Treats are a classic that everyone knows and loves.
I love that Rice Krispie Treats don’t need to be refrigerated, which makes them an excellent pick for lunch boxes, holidays and parties.
You don’t need much to make easy Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats! This quick and easy no bake recipe is unbelievably delicious and requires just a handful of ingredients. As always, you can find the full, printable recipe in the recipe card at the end of this post. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
- mini marshmallows – I like to use mini marshmallows because they melt faster and more evenly than larger marshmallows.
- salted butter – you can use unsalted butter, but this Rice Krispies Treats recipe benefit from a bit of salt.
- creamy peanut butter – Gives these rice krispie treats incredible flavor and creaminess!
- vanilla extract – adds such an important flavor note in this recipe. Make your own vanilla extract at home!
- Rice Krispies cereal – You need 6 cups, which is a bit more than half of a 12-ounce box.
How To Make Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Prepare a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Stir in peanut butter until melted.
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour over cereal and stir to combine.
- Transfer to the baking dish and press into an even layer.
- Let cool for an hour, then cut and serve.
How To Get An Even Layer
With all the marshmallows and peanut butter melted into the mixture, pressing the Rice Krispies into the pan can be a sticky mess! Here are a few tried and true ways to keep the mess to a minimum and still get perfectly compressed treats:
- Butter your fingertips – this way, you can press down on the Rice Krispies treats without it sticking to your fingers.
- Wet your fingertips – run them under warm water and shake off the excess. The mixture won’t stick, but you may need to repeat the process a few times.
- Use a spatula – a silicone spatula won’t stick as much, and if it does, lightly butter it or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Butter an offset spatula – I love using offset spatulas for jobs like this. Lightly butter it, and it won’t stick.
Trish’s Tips & Tricks
- Rice Krispie Treats will stick to your casserole dish or cake pan, so make sure you spray it with non-stick cooking spray. A thin layer of butter will also work well, or for easy removal from the pan, line the pan with parchment paper.
- When adding the marshmallow mixture to your dish, it needs to be pressed down firmly but not super-compressed. See my tips above for pressing it down without a sticky mess.
- Don’t refrigerate this Rice Krispie Treats recipe – they’ll be super hard to bite into if they’re cold. They’re best served at room temperature.
Are you wondering how long these Rice Krispies Treats last? They’ll keep in an airtight container on the counter for up to a week. You can also freeze them if you’d like to keep them longer. Store treats in layers with parchment paper in between to avoid them sticking to each other.
To Freeze: Wrap treats in wax paper or parchment paper and place in a freezer safe ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Don’t use plastic wrap – they’ll stick to the plastic wrap and you could end up with a mess.
Are Rice Krispies Treats Gluten-Free?
No. Kellogg’s says that Rice Krispies are made with malt (from barley), which may contain gluten. And, they’re no longer offering gluten-free Rice Krispies cereal.
This is a very basic recipe but it’s a great starting foundation for so many flavors of Rice Krispie Treats. Check out my links below for more great recipes and here are some more ways to customize this simple dessert:
- Top with chocolate jimmies and press in slightly.
- Drizzle with candy melts or Ghirardelli melting wafers for a show-stopping dessert.
- Fold in your favorite cookies or mini chocolate chips along with the cereal for a fun flavor twist.
More Rice Krispie Treats Recipes To Try
- Snack Lovers Krispie Treats
- Almond Joy Krispie Treats
- Whatchamacallit Krispie Treats
- Watermelon Krispie Treats
- Cookies and Cream Rice Krispies Treats
- S’mores Rice Krispies Treats
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray or lining it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place cereal in a large, heat proof bowl. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven, melt the butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Add the peanut butter and stir until combined.
- Add half of the marshmallows and stir until melted. Add remaining marshmallows and stir until melted and combined.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal and use a spatula to combine. The mixture will be sticky. Once combined, transfer it to the prepared baking dish and press down gently until mostly even on top.
- Let rice krispie treats set up for at least 1 hour before removing from dish. Cut into squares and serve.