Modern Baby Cookies

Modern Baby Cookies - by Glorious Treats

I’ve made a LOT of baby shower cookies over the years, but it’s always fun to play with new designs or different color schemes.  These Modern Baby Cookies were designed for a sweet blogging friend, Jamie of My Baking Addiction.  Jamie is due any day with her first baby, a sweet little girl!

Today I’m joining with a group of Jamie’s blogging friends and we’re surprising her with a Virtual Baby Shower!  Surprise! =)

Each of the “virtual” shower guest (listed at the end of the post) were asked to make a baked good, in honor of all of the amazing baking projects Jamie shares on her blog.  I got the inside scoop on the colors Jamie is using for the baby’s room and had fun decorating this set of cookies with white, gray, aqua, coral and yellow.

This was such a fun color scheme and would actually work perfectly for a boy or girl!  I kept many of the designs simple and modern, but added a few “girly” touches by added bows and plenty of sanding sugar.

Modern Baby Cookies - by Glorious Treats

Ready to decorate cookies?

To make these Modern Baby Cookies you’ll need…

A batch of Sugar Cookies (I added a 1 tsp. of fresh orange zest and 1/2 tsp. almond extract in addition to the base recipe).

A batch of Royal Icing (color notes below).

Cookie Cutters – I used a baby onesie, bow, small cupcake, scalloped square.

I don’t have a full step-by-step tutorial for these, but you can see the first layer for each design here…

Baby Cookies Decorating Tutorial - by Glorious Treats

(Please excuse the late night photo!)

Decorating Notes -

Colors – (all colors are Americolor brand gels)  Aqua blue (sky blue + turquoise)  Coral/Orange (orange + peach + red red)  Yellow (lemon yellow + egg yellow)  Grey (black)

For the bows – I outlined and then immediately flooded the full cookie, then allowed it to dry completely (overnight).  Once dry, I outlined the cookie with piping consistency, as well as added icing where the knot of the bow would be.  Once outlined, immediately sprinkle with white sanding sugar.  Use a clean, dry paintbrush to brush off any excess sugar.

For the scalloped squares (centerpiece cookies)-I outlined the cookies in aqua blue, let that set up a bit (30 minutes or more), then flooded the cookie in white.  Allow the white icing to dry completely (4+ hours or overnight).  Once the cookie was dry I added the lines of color (using a PME 1.5 tip).  Allow the lines to dry (at least 30 minutes) then I added the dots a few at a time, with none touching.  Allow these details to dry (1+ hour), then I added grey dots and immediately sprinkled the area with white sanding sugar.  For the initial (E) I piped the letter, then immediately covered with white sanding sugar.

For each cookie that has two colors side by side (the onesies and cupcakes) I flooded one area, then let it set up a bit before adding the adjoining color.

Modern Baby Shower Cookies - by Glorious Treats

These Modern Baby Cookies are just one of the pretty baked items made in honor of Jamie.  Please visit each of the other blogger’s contributions below…

Jamie's Virtual Baby Shower

Amber from Bluebonnets & Brownies | Lemon Strawberry Cupcakes
Julie from The Little Kitchen | Pistachio Pudding Cupcakes
Jen from My Kitchen Addiction | Sugar and Spice Cookies
Shaina from Food for My Family | Vanilla Raspberry Mini Meringue Kisses
Glory from Glorious Treats | Modern decorated cookies (you’re here!)
Cheryl from TidyMom | Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Buttercream
Katie from Good Life {Eats} | Raspberry Hibiscus Soda
Aimee from SimpleBites | How to freeze a big batch of homemade waffles
Amanda from I am Baker | Heath Bar Cake
Steph from Steph Chows | PB oatmeal cookies
Allison from Some the Wiser | Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Megan from Stetted | Strawberry Jalapeno Palmiers
Shelly from Cookies & Cups | Bacon Cheddar Scones
Emily from Jelly Toast | Meyer Lemon Scones
Kristan from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen | Samoa Layer Cake

Congratulations Jamie!!

34 Responses to “Modern Baby Cookies”

Amanda — January 14, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Adorable!! Such a beautiful design!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — January 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Glory, these are so precious! And I happen to know that receiving them in the mail made Jamie a little teary. You’re such a sweet friend. Thank you for celebrating Jamie and Baby E!

TidyMom — January 14, 2014 at 1:51 pm

So adorable Glory and just perfect for Jamie!

Aimee @ Simple Bites — January 14, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Just gorgeous! Those colours really pop.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 14, 2014 at 1:55 pm

These are absolutely gorgeous! I love the color scheme and the modern design!

JulieD — January 14, 2014 at 2:04 pm

I think these are the most adorable baby shower cookies I have ever seen! They are so sweet!! <3!

Paula — January 14, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Very sweet, very colourful and very creative designs!

Nechy — January 14, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Qué preciosidad, me encantan!!
    Un besete y Feliz semana!!

shelly (cookies and cups) — January 14, 2014 at 3:47 pm

These are totally gorgeous! LOVE the colors :)

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com — January 14, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Aww – the onesies are so adorable!

Жанна — January 14, 2014 at 6:10 pm

very stylish! I still decorate snowflakes.

Emily {Jelly Toast} — January 14, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love these cookies! The dainty little dots and modern colors? So perfect!!

Mimi @ Culinary Couture — January 14, 2014 at 10:46 pm

These are the cutest cookies ever! You are crazy talented!

stephchows — January 14, 2014 at 11:31 pm

These are beautiful! I can’t believe how straight all your lines are… seriously how did you do that!!! Crazy skills!

Heather @ French Press — January 15, 2014 at 2:06 am

such fun colors Glory – and of course gorgeous as always

Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch — January 15, 2014 at 6:35 am

Oh my goodness I can’t wait for someone to have a baby just to make a set of these adorable cookies! Love’em!

Allison — January 15, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I love seeing a batch of baby girl cookies that aren’t just pink. These are gorgeous!

Tasha @thatssoyummy.com — January 15, 2014 at 4:49 pm

These cookies are too cute, loving the bright colors!

Shaina — January 15, 2014 at 6:59 pm

The cookies turned out just gorgeous, and the initial with the scalloped edges is the perfect way to tie them all together.

Hannah @ sassypantscookies.blogspot.com — January 15, 2014 at 10:29 pm

These are absolute adorable! Can’t wait to use for inspiration on an upcoming project!

Thanks!
    Hannah @ sassypantscookies.blogspot.com

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — January 15, 2014 at 11:31 pm

These are absolutely gorgeous, Glory! I can’t even begin to tell you how much I LOVE every single cookie. And not to mention, they taste as good as they look! Thank you so much for helping to welcome Baby E to this world. You gals made my week!

Liv — January 20, 2014 at 8:38 pm

So adorable! Thanks for posting your sugar cookie recipe – everyone loved the cookies!

Hani/haniela's — January 28, 2014 at 2:20 am

Super pretty! Love the Colors!

1. Pingback: meyer lemon scones + a baby shower! - Jelly Toast