Homemade Lemon Curd {Recipe}

I’ve never been super fond of the title “Lemon Curd”… I guess it’s the “curd” part that doesn’t quite seem right.   But when you take fresh, delicious lemons, some sugar, eggs and a touch of butter the resulting concoction is so delicious, I don’t really care what it’s called!

Lemon curd can be bought at the store (near jams and jellies) but it is quite easy to make at home, and the taste of this homemade version just can’t be beat!  You can make a batch and enjoy it on toast, pancakes, with yogurt, or as part of a delicious dessert.  I’ll be sharing several recipes very soon that include this sweet-tart treat!

Homemade Lemon Curd

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (usually requires 1-2 lemons)

2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest

1/3 cup sugar

4 egg yolks

3 Tablespoons butter (I use unsalted)

Directions ~

Combine all ingredients in the top of a double boiler (or in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water).  Heat, while stirring (almost) constantly with a whisk, until mixture thickens.  It is done when it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.  Remove from heat, cover and refrigerate until cool.  Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

Enjoy with toast, waffles, pancakes, scones, yogurt, or in a variety of delicious desserts.

Here are some of the ways I’ve used this delicious filling…

Lemon Cupcakes

Lemon Thumbprint Cookies

Pretty Spring Cake (Vanilla Cake with Lemon Filling)

47 Responses to “Homemade Lemon Curd {Recipe}”

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more — January 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Oh I love lemon curd, the one time I made it, it was so tart I couldn't eat it, but it sure looked pretty:)

Trisha — January 22, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Hi Glory! This is my first visit to your blog, and I absolutely lemon curd! I just posted the recipe to one of my Pinterest boards, and it's already been 'liked' with '3 repins' before I read your 'request for permission to post elsewhere' notation. I apologize for belatedly requesting, and I hope you don't mind; may I keep your photo image posted on my board? I'm so glad to have found your blog, and will definitely visit again! :)

Glory/ Glorious Treats — January 22, 2012 at 6:01 pm

@Trisha- So glad you found my site! Feel free to pin from my site, in fact I appreciate pins! The "ask first" refers to re-posting images or content on other blogs. Thanks for asking anyway, and happy pinning! =)

SweetSugarBelle — January 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm

On my to do list. Keep them coming!

Trisha — January 22, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Thanks so much for understanding, Glory (and, I meant to write, absolutely 'love' lemon curd). I made sure that your website is linked in the pin. Also, you're more than welcome to follow my Pinterest boards at http://www.pinterest.com/pasinteriors. :)

Bea @ CancunCOOKIES — January 22, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I love lemon curd! We can't find lemons easily in Mexico, so I use limes instead. I feel the same about the word curd… But at the same time I remember my grandma making cheese, which is a happy feeling!

Gloria — January 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I love lemon curd this look awesome!!

Sarah Kuhner — January 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm

This looks amazing and I just got a whole bunch of lemons that I want to do something great with. I have pinned a bunch of your recipes. They all look so amazing.

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — January 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Can't wait for the (sure to be) yummy recipes! :)

So Domesticated — January 22, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I have never made lemon curd…. looks pretty simple! I'll definitely try making it in the near future!

miss b — January 23, 2012 at 5:17 am

I love home-made lemon curd especially in the middle of a lemon sponge cake! I'm looking forward to your recipes.

laco — January 23, 2012 at 5:45 am

i'm totally trying this! for some reason, i always expected making lemon curd was difficult. yay!

Cookbook Queen — January 23, 2012 at 6:29 am

Lemon Curd is one of my all time favorite things, so I will definitely be trying this!! Can't wait to see what you make with it!!

Melissa — January 23, 2012 at 8:37 am

Love lemon curd but I have never made it.

This recipe seems like I might be able to make it without messing it up too much.
    Thanks!

Laura — January 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

OK, I made the butterfly cake…and now I am making this.

I am your new stalker :-)

You are such an amazing source of inspiration!
    THANK YOU!

Misbah — January 23, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hi Glory, thanks for this easy lemon curd recepie.

luv2bmom — January 23, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Is this something that you could seal in jars like one would do jam?

Cupcakes by Silvia — January 23, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I tried making my own lemon curd some days ago, but didn't look as good as yours. I'll try your recipe to see what comes out. Thanks for sharing!!!

Mel — January 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Makes my mouth water just looking at it. I can't wait to try to make it!

Natalie — January 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I LOVE your site, though you must hear that often :) Been pinning lots and lots of your recipes – my boards are filled with them! Quick question – is it ok to leave lemon curd out instead of refrigerated? Even with the eggs? Thanks!

Astrid — January 24, 2012 at 2:09 am

I definitely will have to try this. Do you think it will be tasty with limes as well?

Jenny @ Savour the Senses — January 25, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I have never made thumbprint cookies, but have always wanted to. I love that you used lemon curd instead of chocolate! Glad I found your blog, looking forward to following you.

Debbie Y — January 25, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I just made this tonight with Meyer lemons and it is SO easy and SO yummy! Thanks for a great recipe. I'll definitely be making another batch, so that I'll have some for the cookies you posted. (I'd use what I have now, but I don't think the people who would be eating the cookies would appreciate the fact that I was double-, triple-, and quadruple-dipping the spoon in it while it was cooking.)

Charmaine — January 28, 2012 at 5:14 am

Love lemons and can't wait to try this recipe! I'm so glad I found this site through pinterest!

Unknown — January 28, 2012 at 9:36 am

This would delicious on popovers with sweetened cream cheese! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous — February 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

I'm making these today Glory! Thanks for the mouthwatering photo and recipe! Maryann

O'Viñes — February 26, 2012 at 10:15 am

I'm Olga from Alicante (Spain) and I really don't know how I get to your blog, but it's wonderful!. I'd be interested in doing some of your recipes and publishing them in my own blog (much more modest than yours) Would you mind? Of course, I will mention your blog in any recipe I get from it.
    The first one I would like to try is this, because I've got my own garden and I don't know what to do with so many lemons.
    Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with us.
    By the way my blog is "quecomemoshoy.com.es"

Ritz — March 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi there Glory! I'm quite new with cooking & baking. I pretty much don't know my way around recipes but when I saw this lemon curd recipe of yours, I know I just have to try making it. It looks so yummy! In your recipe directions, you mentioned that once the curd is thick enough, to remove it from heat, cover & refrigerate. Here's my question…& it might be a 'duhhhh' question for you :-P So obvious I know nothing, rite? *blush* Do I need to wait for the curd to cool before refrigerating @ do I just refrigerate it immediately? I'm so sorry if I wasted your time with this novice question of mine *super embarrassed!*…Thanks in advance dear!

Célia — March 10, 2012 at 5:36 am

Hello, i just tried this recipe, and it was delicious ! i used to put the white of the eggs, but the texture was not that "curdy" ! rather creamy, but i prefer yours. (even if it was quite a long time holding spoon and boil above the water !)

Shana — April 5, 2012 at 6:15 am

I made lemon curd for the first time using this recipe. Great recipe! I was happy to use it in the middle of my lavender cupcakes :)

Anonymous — April 22, 2012 at 10:36 pm

ASDFGHJKL, I LUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVV UR BLOG SO SO SO MUCHHHHHHHHH

Autumn Browning — April 24, 2012 at 2:02 pm

This is on my pinterest page. I'm going to try making it tonight with lemons I picked from a friend's tree, it looks delicious. And yes, can we come up with a tastier, prettier-sounding word than 'curd?' ;) If you love lemons, I have several posts about lemon jelly and various marmalades on my blog, autumnscopperpot.blogspot.com.

Ann Workman — June 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Big fan of lemon curd! I love it on a whole wheat english muffin with bananas sliced on top! I’m wondering if I can double or even triple this recipe. My daughter is getting married and we would like to use lemon curd as the base for some fruit tarts.

Lynanne — August 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Your recipe looks so easy to do…am going to try it now…we just love lemon curd and your recipe only calls for 3 tablespoonsful of butter so relatively healthy???!!!

Mish Mulk — January 28, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I love this lemon curd
    absolutely perfect

S — July 6, 2013 at 1:59 am

This looks so delicious! I’m such a fan of lemon curd – I recently have begun trying to play with the recipe (it takes a little bit of courage!) on my blog – http://creamstar.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/my-darling-lemon-thyme-curd.html
    I attempted a lemon-thyme version but this lemon looks more sumptuous than my basic recipe! might have to make the switch!

Trista — October 26, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Hi! I absolutely love this website and am quite obsessed with all your treats! Your chocolate and vanilla cupcake recipes are now my go to recipe for homemade cakes/cupcakes! I had a question regarding lemon treats though – I tried making a lemon dessert once and it tasted like metal (very strong metal taste). After doing some research, I thought it may have been because I used a stainless steel pot, wire whisk, and metal cupcake/muffin dish. So I tried making this lemon curd for my next lemon treat try-out using a non-stick pan and plastic coated whisk. In the end, I thought it tasted metallic (nothing like before though!), even though my family said it was yummy! My sister said anything with lemon tastes slightly metallic so that’s why there was a hint of that taste (I think she was just trying to make me feel better!). So my question is two-fold – do lemon treats always carry a metal taste? If not, what can I do to get rid of it?

• Glory replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

Hi Trista,
      So glad you’re enjoying my site! I’m sorry, your question is a new one to me… I’ve never had this problem with lemon treats. I have made this recipe many times, and always use a stainless steel double boiler and metal whisk, and have never noticed a funny taste. I do usually move the finished lemon curd to a glass jar to store it in the fridge… but that’s mostly just because it’s smaller than keeping the whole pan in the fridge. I’m sorry I really am not sure what to offer as advice in this case.

Julia — February 18, 2014 at 7:06 am

Hello!
    I have a question! How thick is this curd after cooling? Is it thick enough to be piped on top of a cupcake? If it’s not, may we use some corn starch for example to make it thicker?

• Glory replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

Hi Julia, After it’s fully cooled it’s about the thickness of jam. I would not recommend piping just pure lemon curd on a cupcake, I would suggest adding some lemon curd to a buttercream and then using that. I usually use the curd as a filling. Cut out a cone shape from the cupcake and add some lemon curd, then use buttercream or even whipped cream as frosting.

Eleni — March 24, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Hi, Glory! I would like to thank you so much for this recipe. I’ve tried it and it’s absolute success! I was just wondering, have you ever tried using orange juice and zest instead of lemon? I don’t even know if there is such a thing as “orange curd” but do you think it would work? The orange-chocolate combination is a favorite in my family and I would like to use it as a filling for some chocolate cupcakes.
    I’m wishing you all the best for your new book!
    Best wishes from Greece!

Nancy — May 26, 2014 at 3:44 am

I made lemon curd it came it awesome. I add little more sugar.

Marilyn — June 11, 2014 at 10:53 am

Looks delicious. Can’t wait to try it. Love your site.

1. Pingback: Triple Lemon Cake –

2. Pingback: Easy Homemade Lemon Curd | Sweet Lemon Magazine

3. Pingback: Cool Lemon Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting | Make it Homemade

4. Pingback: What’s Cooking: Six recipes to try this spring | Everyfoodrecipes, cooking tips, and how-to food videos—all rated and reviewed by millions of home cooks,make the perfect birthday cake, or plan your next holiday dinner.