These Turkey Pesto Appetizer Bites are the perfect little snack to keep guests happy while your preparing the Thanksgiving meal, or to serve at any holiday party.
I’m usually all about sweet treats… but we’ve got to have some delicious food to serve along with all the sweetness!
These little appetizers are easy to make, look great, and will keep your guests out of the kitchen while you put the finishing touches on your holiday meals. You can prepare (bake) the little Puff Pastry bites up to a day in advance, then assemble the mini sandwiches shortly before serving.
Thaw the puff pastry according to the package directions (about 45 minutes). Unfold pastry onto a lightly floured work surface.
Use a pizza cutter to cut the puff pastry sheet into 36 small squares.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and line up the little puff pastry squares (I didn’t bake all 36 on the same baking sheet).
Bake in a preheated oven at 400*F for 12-14 minutes.
Once cooled, cut each little square open and assemble the mini sandwiches. Spread a bit of basil pesto on one side of the “bread”, then add a slice of turkey and a slice of cheese (I used provolone). Top with the top piece of puff pastry, then add a small fresh basil leaf (if desired) and a cherry tomato half.
I created this recipe as part of my ongoing work for Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry as a member of their “Puff is Spark” panel.
Last month I shared these Bubbling Cauldron Halloween Treats and asked you to share your ideas for using Puff Pastry. Over the next several months I’ll be bringing you delicious and creative recipes using Puff Pastry and choosing my “top pick” from your suggestions from the previous month. In the spring, I will chose my favorite from the highlighted “top picks” and that reader will win a grand prize trip to travel to the Pepperidge Farm Headquarters!
My top pick from last month’s suggestions is from Doreen Shea, who said she fills puff pastry cups with a “cube of Brie and tops it with homemade raspberry jam and chopped walnuts…”
So here’s your opportunity to chime in and share your original ideas for using Puff Pastry. Please share your ideas in the comment section of this blog post.
How to Make Turkey Pesto Appetizer Bites
Turkey Pesto Appetizer Bites
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets according to the package directions (this takes about 45 minutes).
- Unroll the sheet onto a lightly floured work surface, then use a pizza cutter to cut the pastry into 36 small squares (pictured below).
- Bake the little squares on a parchment paper lined baking sheet in a preheated oven at 400*F for 12-14 minutes.
- Once the pastry squares are baked and cooled, cut each square open (horizontally) to create a top and bottom piece of "bread" like a mini sandwich.
- Spread a think layer of basil pesto onto one side of the sandwich, then add a slice of turkey and a slice of cheese (I used provolone). Top with matching pastry square.
- Finish the mini sandwiches with a small leaf of fresh basil and a cherry tomato half, add a toothpick to hold it all together.