Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
What could be better on a warm summer day than a cold glass of lemonade? Well, maybe glass of lemonade and a Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake!
These delicious Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes in a jar are a perfect sweet, tart treat! This recipe could certainly be made as traditional cupcakes, but layering the cake and frosting in a jar makes it extra easy to bring along for a picnic or BBQ. And of course, I have a special love for desserts in jars =)
Certainly, feel free to adjust the flavor combo to your desires… I’m sure these would be equally delicious as Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes (by simply replacing the strawberries listed with raspberries), or you could keep them just lemon, by omitting the strawberries and adding a bit of lemon juice to the frosting (as detailed in the recipe below).
For extra special presentation, I like to add a cupcake liner as a lid topper (as I did with these Blackberry Vanilla Cupcakes, or even a mini jar of cookies). The fun yellow chevron cupcake liners shown are from Sweets and Treats Boutique.
To top the jars with cupcake liners, start with standard sized cupcake liners (and standard mouth jars, as shown), and use your fingers to press out some of the creases (closest to the center) of the liner. You can either add the liner on top of both the flat lid and the jar ring (as show below), or add the liner on top of the flat jar lid, then use the ring to hold on the liner (as with these Blackberry Vanilla Cupcakes).
The jars shown are 1/2 pint, standard mouth caning jars. I usually buy them at Wal-Mart, but they are also often available at Target, the grocery store, or Orchard Supply Hardware.
Yellow chevron cupcake liners, from Sweets and Treats Boutique.
Bakers twine, from Bakers Stock.
How to Make Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup oil vegetable, canola or extra light olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream any fat content
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- n a medium bowl, add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together with whisk, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs and beat 10-20 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed about 30 seconds. Add vanilla, lemon extract, lemon juice, zest and oil, beat. Add sour cream and blend until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture. Mix just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour (or scoop) batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners. Fill liners about 2/3 full (no more).
- Bake cupcakes in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until fully smooth.
- Add cream cheese, and again beat until fully incorporated and very smooth.
- While mixing on low speed, add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Add vanilla extract, then strawberry jam and beat until well combined.
- If the frosting is very thick, add heavy cream or milk, then beat until light and fluffy.
- Frost on cooled cupcakes.