Peanut butter and chocolate just seem to belong together! This classic combo is celebrated in these delicious Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Filling.
The peanut butter cookies are delicious on their own, but the additional of chocolate filling makes them extra special! And anytime I can eat two cookies and call it one, I’m pretty happy with that math!
This recipe is simply a variation of my Chewy Peanut Butter Cookie recipe. For these sandwich cookies I like to make the cookies nice and thin and bake them until they are a bit crisp on the edges.
The finished cookies are rich, flavorful and sure to satisfy any peanut butter and chocolate fan!
Love peanut butter and chocolate together?
Peanut Butter Mousse with Chocolate Cookie Crumble, a favorite from my book, Glorious Layered Desserts, shared by The Little Kitchen.
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Filling
Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Filling
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a medium sized bowl, add flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk together, then set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend softened butter, peanut butter and honey. Add brown sugar and (white) sugar and continue to blend. Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and beat all ingredients until well incorporated.
- While mixing, slowly add the bowl of flour.
- Blend just until all the flour is incorporated.
- If the dough is very soft, chill dough (in the fridge) about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350*F and line baking sheets with a Silpat liner (this is what I used) or parchment paper.
- Using a 1 tablespoon sized scoop, scoop dough, then roll in your hands slightly to form a ball. Drop balls of dough into a small bowl of sugar, and roll to coat. Place balls of dough on the prepared baking sheet, then flatten to about 1/3" tall using the bottom of a glass.
- Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes. Remove from oven when the edges appear baked, but the centers appear slightly underdone. The cookies will continue to bake on the baking sheet as they cool. Cool 1-2 minutes on the baking sheet, then carefully move to a cooling rack.
Make the filling
- Measure chocolate chips and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Heat heavy cream in a microwave until very hot, but not boiling.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate chips, and allow to sit (without stirring) about one minute. Stir slightly, just making sure all the chocolate chips are submerged in the cream, then allow to sit another minute or two until the chocolate is nearly melted. Stir as needed until the chocolate and cream are fully combined and smooth.
- Place chocolate mixture in the fridge and cool until thick enough to spread. Check and stir slightly every 10 minutes or so until desired consistency is reached.
- Use an offset spatula to spread the filling onto the bottom side of a cookie, then top with another cookie.