Football Team Cupcakes
Make football season extra sweet with these fun Football Team Cupcakes!
You might notice that these pretty cupcakes are partial to one particular team… the Miami Dolphins!
I’ll have to admit, I’m not exactly a football super fan, but I am a fan-by-marriage of the Miami Dolphins. Despite being born and raised in California, my husband chose the Miami Dolphins as “his” team when he was in 5th grade, and has been faithful ever since!
Earlier this year, my husband and I traveled to Miami to see our first NFL game, and we had a really perfect day! Here’s my Instagram capture of the day.
So if you’re a fan of orange and aqua, these cupcakes are for you!
And if your team wears different colors, read along for how to create this fun, tri-colored frosting in any colors!
I’ve partnered with Wilton to share their Color Swirl Decorating Kit and Color Right Color System.
With these Wilton tools and ingredients it’s easy to make impressive tri-colored frosting for cakes and cupcakes and get your #GameOn for your favorite team!
I’ve made multi colored cupcake frosting before, but in the past I’ve had to use colors that would blend well when mixed because I was adding multiple colors of frosting to the same bag. The awesome thing about this Wilton kit is that each color is in its own bag, so the colors don’t mix until they reach the cupcakes. This helps give you consistent results, even if you’re frosting lots of cupcakes and need to re-fill the bags as you go.
What you need to make your own Football Team Cupcakes…
Wilton Color Swirl Decorating Kit (be sure to visit this page for a video on how to easily fill and use the color swirl kit)
Wilton Football Decorations (optional)
Football Team Cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa best quality available
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract best quality available
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, salted, or unsalted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract best quality available
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream half and half or milk
- Line muffin tin with paper liners. Heat oven to 350*F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
- Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin, don’t worry, this is right).
- Fill liners 2/3 full with batter. (I usually put the batter into a large measuring cup with a pour spout, and then pour the batter into the liners.)
- Bake cupcakes for approximately 18-22 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter (on medium speed) until completely smooth (30 seconds to a minute).
- Add salt (if needed).
- One cup at time, add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
- Add the remaining 2 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
- Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.
What colors will you use to make cupcakes for your favorite team?
Disclosure – I created this recipe in partnership with Wilton. Partnering with brands I love allows me to provide you with high quality content at no cost to you. I only work with brands I use and love. All images, text and opinions are my own.