What better way to celebrate fall, than with the flavors of caramel, cinnamon and apples? These classic fall flavors combine to create a flavorful and delicious coffee cake. This cake would be perfect for a special breakfast, brunch, or snack anytime.
The apple-cinnamon coffee cake is delicious on its own, but the addition of the caramel drizzle makes it extra special!
Happy fall baking!
How to Make Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
Serve this delicious cake with or without the caramel drizzle for a special breakfast, brunch or treat anytime!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs large
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups apples peeled, cored and chopped (I used fuji)
For the crumb topping
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
For the caramel drizzle
- 11 oz caramel bits 1/2 bag
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease a 9"x13" baking dish or cake pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electic mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add brown sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk together.
- With the electric mixer on low, add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Add 1/2 of the sour cream, then remaing dry ingredients, then remaining sour cream.
- Add vanilla. Turn off mixer, and fold in chopped apples.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
Prepare the crumb topping
- Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl, stir (with a fork) until mixture resembled coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping over cake batter.
- Bake cake 35-40 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on wire rack at least 10 minutes.
Prepare caramel drizzle
- Melt caramel bits and cream in a bowl in the microwave, or in a small saucepan on the stove, over low heat, stiring to combine.
- Drizzle caramel over cake slices before serving.
Look for the caramel bits near chocolate chips in your local grocery store. As an alternative, feel free to use large, individual caramels, but they will take more time to melt.
Calories: 503kcalCarbohydrates: 80gProtein: 5gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 291mgPotassium: 192mgFiber: 1gSugar: 55gVitamin A: 571IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 103mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Debbie Smith says
Love your recipes, can’t wait to start with the Banana cake and apple coffee cake. Thanks for sharing love your blog just found you off Pinterest.
FarhaFarha Zeba says
This cake looks delicious Would definitely like to try the recipe just one confusion about coffee its not mentioned in the recipe how much coffee to be added? can you please clarify. Thanks
Hi! There is no coffee in the cake. The term “coffee cake” is a term used to describe this style of cake, a quick cake usually with a crumb topping, that is often served with coffee.
Donna G. says
I made this recipe, and it is absolutely delicious!! Thanks for sharing!
Alicia Reynoso says
I want to try this as a cupcake, what frosting would you recommend?