Fall is one of my favorite times of year to bake. There is just something extra special about filling the house with warm, rich fragrances when there is a chill in the air.
This Apple Cream Cheese Bundt Cake combines a moist and flavorful apple cake with a sweet cream cheese filling, and an incredible praline frosting. Although this recipe does require several steps, the end results are delicious, impressive and perfect for any fall celebration.
When I first came across this recipe I considered skipping the cream cheese filling in an effort to simplify the recipe. But I usually try to make a recipe as listed before making changes, so I figured I’d give it a try as is. The filling is delicious and adds a nice creamy texture to the overall recipe. I will say, the apple cake and praline frosting are both delicious, so if you don’t care for cream cheese, or want to speed things along I think you could omit the filling. If you are going to leave out the filling, be sure to reduce the overall baking time.
Another suggestion would be to bake the cake one day, then frost it the next day, to break up the work a bit.
This cake would be perfect for a fall brunch, and is a delicious treat with a glass of milk, or cup of coffee.
Happy fall baking!
How to Make Apple Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
Apple Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup oil canola, olive or vegetable
- 3/4 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups apples peeled and finely chopped, I used Granny Smith
- Grease and flour a (14 cup) bundt pan, and set aside.
Prepare cream cheese filling
- Beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until blended and smooth. Add egg, flour and vanilla and beat until just combined. Set aside.
Prepare cake batter
- Preheat oven to 350*F and bake pecans for 5-7 minutes until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Meanwhile, stir flour, both sugars, salt, baking soda and spices together in a large bowl.
- Stir in eggs, then oil, apple sauce and vanilla.
- Stir in apples and pecans.
- Spoon two-thirds of the apple batter into the prepared pan, then spoon cream cheese filling over the apple mixture, leaving a 1 inch border around the edges of the pan.
- Spoon remaining apple batter over the cream cheese filling.
- Bake cake at 350*F for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a long wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan, on a wire rack about 1 hour. Remove cake from pan, and cool completely (an additional hour).
- When the cake has cooled, prepare praline frosting.
- Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute (set a timer).
- Remove pan from heat and add vanilla extract, then powdered sugar. Whisk together until fully combined. If needed, pour frosting through a fine strainer to remove any powdered sugar lumps. Cool frosting slightly (about 5 minutes) until it has begun to thicken slightly, but is still easily pourable. Pour over cake, as desired. Garnish with pecans, if desired.