How To Make Melted Rainbow Crayon Art

The best rainbow melted crayon art tutorial

A few weeks before my daughter’s Rainbow Art Birthday Party, I prepared a set of three melted crayon canvases to act as the backdrop for the dessert/snack table.  There is always something so pretty and cheerful about rainbow colors!  I loved the way the canvases brought color to the table, and pulled in the art theme.

I’ve seen lots of rainbow crayon art circulating around the internet for quite some time, but this is the first time I’ve given it a try.  It’s a really fun and rewarding project!

For less than the cost of a framed print to hang on a wall, you can create a custom work of art, adjusting the size and colors to your liking.  The total cost of this project for me was about $35.00.  That includes the canvas ($15), heat gun ($12, using a coupon), and crayons ($7).  I am not counting the cost of the glue gun, since I already owned one, and most of you likely do as well.

Here’s how to make one…

Gather your supplies…

You’ll need a canvas (the one shown is 24″x12″)

a hot glue gun (and extra glue)

crayons (for this 24″ wide canvas I used most of the colors from a 96 crayon pack, as well as two 8 crayon packs- buy more than you think you’ll need)

a heat gun (available from most craft stores, sold near stamping supplies, or gift wrap/cellophane)

Step 1-  Quickly sort the crayons by color.  You will likely not want to include any browns, black or grey.

making rainbow melted crayon art

Step 2-  Line up the crayons by color, then fine tune the exact order you’d like the different shades.   Line up the crayons next to the canvas, so you know exactly how many you’ll need to fit the length of the canvas.

Step 3- Begin hot gluing the crayons to the canvas.  I chose to lay the crayons so the name of the color was showing.  Apply enough glue to attach 3 or 4 crayons, lay those crayons down, then add more glue, and so on.

Step 4-  Once all the crayons are glued on, cover your work area with paper, and lean the canvas up against a support (such as a case of canning jars)  =)

Step 5-  Begin heating one section of the crayons with the heat gun.  Hold the gun about 12 inches from the crayons.  It will take a couple minutes for the crayons to begin to melt.

*A note about using a heat gun vs. a blow dryer.  I have seen melted crayon projects using a blow dryer, but it is much more difficult to control the direction of the melted wax.  With a blow dryer the wax tends to fly in all directions, not just drip down.   A heat gun produces hotter heat, and blows the air with less force.  Using a heat gun (instead of a blow dryer) seems to cut down the total time of the melting process by at least half.  As is, it will take 45 minutes or so to melt the crayons (using a canvas of similar size).  I think attempting this project with a blow dryer would be quite frustrating.  As always, feel free to experiment… I’m just sharing my recommendations.

Step 6-  Continue directing heat at a section of crayons, and use the air and heat as needed to direct the wax down the canvas.

Step 7-  Continue working a section at a time.  The total time for melting the crayons on this canvas (24″ wide) was about 45 minutes.

Step 8-  When all the crayons have melted, and dripped down, pick up the canvas from your work area.  Scrape off any excess wax from along the bottom edge of the canvas, then use the heat gun as needed to melt the wax along the edge of the canvas.

How to make melted rainbow crayon art

Step 9-  Project is complete!   Admire the beautiful art you just created  =)

This project was a perfect addition to my daughter’s Rainbow Art Birthday Party, and would make a beautiful piece to hang in a child’s room, class room, or any place that could use a beautiful pop of color!

82 Responses to “How To Make Melted Rainbow Crayon Art”

danira — February 25, 2013 at 1:04 am

thanks for the tutorial! my daughter is turning 7 in june, i love this theme! and i think she will love it too! last saturday i did my lil ones 1st birthday, ladybug theme! i did your idea on the streamer backdrop for the dessert table and i loved it! got rave reviews from everyone! cheap and awesome!! thanks glory!

sweetsugarbelle — February 25, 2013 at 1:10 am

This is SOOOOOOOOOOO beautiful! I want to make one for our reading nook!

Nancy — February 25, 2013 at 2:50 am

This looks fun and crafty, but doesnt the glue from the glue gun melt too when melting crayons?

• Glory replied: — February 25th, 2013 @ 3:11 am

No, not at all. The crayon and (crayon) paper are between the heat and the cooled (hot) glue, and once hot glue dries, it would have to be REALLY hot to re-melt it. I’ve made this project two times with no issues with the glue at all.

Joy Adams — February 25, 2013 at 2:53 am

Very Cool project

Patti — February 25, 2013 at 3:06 am

This is beautiful! Do you think that a blow dryer would get hot enough?

• Glory replied: — February 25th, 2013 @ 3:13 am

Hi Patti, I mentioned my thoughts on a blow dryer vs. the heat gun with step 5 (in the post). I do think a blow dryer MIGHT be hot enough, but then you will likely have issues with the wax flying around in all directions, not just flowing down the canvas. Certinaly blow dryers vary quite a bit, so the blow dryer, and the settings would make some difference.

Sabine Seyffert — February 25, 2013 at 5:29 am

Good Morning,
    thats fantastic! I like this picture very much!
    Many greetings from germany,
    Sabine

Moo — February 25, 2013 at 7:55 am

Wow, this looks so great! I definitely have to make one. Thanks for the idea, you’re so creative!

Jill — February 25, 2013 at 11:33 am

Are you kidding me?!?!?! This is pretty much the most fabulous artwork I have ever seen. Love-love-love it!

Astrid - CupcakesHBG — February 25, 2013 at 11:55 am

Such a beautiful piece of art and such a smart idea! Love it!

Flipfloppan — February 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Hi! Just found you beautiful and inspiering blog, so if you see someone who spends unaturally long time here, it´s just me. Love it :) Rgds from Sweden

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet — February 25, 2013 at 4:12 pm

OMG! My babysitter saw this online and did most of this with the girls over the weekend. All that is left is the melting part. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! BTW we are crazy for rainbows! :)

Shari Zook — February 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm

This is gorgeous! I love rainbow colors, and am charmed by the simplicity in the look of the finished artwork.

Jackie Lee — February 25, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Soooo cooool!

susie — February 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm

My college daughter Pinned this project and I was a bit skeptical. Thanks for the pointers…it really is pretty!

Andrea @Cupookie — February 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm

This is the coolest. LOVE colorful Art!!!

Whisked Away Cookies — February 25, 2013 at 5:47 pm

You are just really quite brilliant! I am convinced that your brain never goes into sleep mode! Love this!

LornaLove — February 25, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Love it! COLOURRRRRR!! Thanks for sharing.

Amanda — February 25, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I had considered trying this with a blow dryer, but now maybe I’ll reconsider. I’d have to buy a heat gun though.

Luna — February 25, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Such a beautiful and quite easy to copy piece of art. I’m impressed.
    Greetings from Germany
    Love, Luna

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — February 26, 2013 at 4:21 am

I’ve seen a few of these floating around Pinterst, but yours is by far the best so far!

Joanie K — February 26, 2013 at 5:56 am

Great job Glory! Love it! As usual you never cease to amaze me!

Lisa — February 26, 2013 at 11:08 am

QUESTION- do you guys think a hairdryer would work?

• Glory replied: — February 27th, 2013 @ 5:06 pm

Lisa, I included my thought on using a blow dryer in the post. I always encourage experiementing, but if you want you canvases to look similar to mine, I would suggest a heat gun.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — February 26, 2013 at 11:48 am

Very cute. My friend made one and she cut out an umbrella shape and taped it on, so when everything melted she took it off and there was an umbrella totally white. She then put cute pics of her kids under the umbrella!!!!

Lisa — February 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Now I wish my girls were young again to enjoy this project. I’ll just have to do this on my own and have all the fun!

Paula — February 26, 2013 at 9:46 pm

It turned our wonderfully. What a nice piece of artwork to hang in a child’s bedroom or playroom.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — February 26, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Such a fun and pretty project!

Shelly — February 27, 2013 at 2:38 am

Love this and plan to do it for my 35th Birthday party. Yep, 35th, you’re never to old for rainbows. Lol, I was wondering how you cut the boards into 3?
    Thanks!

• Glory replied: — February 27th, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

Hi Shelly, I agree… never too old for rainbows! For the set of three canvases I used for my daughter’s party they are three individual canvases (I didn’t cut them at all).

Sue {munchkin munchies} — February 28, 2013 at 4:09 pm

This is so fabulous! You are certainly multi-talented, Glory, if I haven’t already told you!

Taysha Riggs — March 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

whatta cute idea!

TidyMom — March 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I’ve always wanted to do this!! so fun Glory

Rachal — March 8, 2013 at 12:32 am

The heat gun is a great idea! I don’t have one so I use a blowdryer but used the air directional attachment that you would use to get straight hair and that allowed for more control. Also, because the heat isn’t as hot, the crayon tended to clump on it’s way down the canvas so I just held the blowdryer to the back of the canvas and directed the crayon chunks down. It worked very well. And yes, it take a much longer time to do that I anticipated!

Mary Ann — March 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I can’t wait to try this on March Break with two of the girls I sponsor through Children’s Aid. It’s an easy and inexpensive craft that should suit many ages and capabilities. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah Morris — March 14, 2013 at 12:44 am

would a lighter work to melt them??

Morgan — March 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Where did you get your canvas?

Amanda Waterhouse — April 9, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I really like this and am thinking about making it for my future step-daughter’s room, she is 8, and she loves anything a little funky! My only concern or question was, do you put any sort of glaze or clear coat over the whole thing? Or does it just stay as is?

Bonnie — April 15, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Thois is a good idea. Using a hairdryer causes the crayons to splatter and while you are melting the crayons.. the heat is also melting the runs causing them to blend and affects the end result of the project. It is time consuming but I would try a small one first.

Carrie (The Cake Blog) — April 15, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I absolutely love this Glory! I so want to give this a try… thank you for the how-to!

anjanie — April 17, 2013 at 12:21 am

hi i would just like to know if i can use regular paper like bristol board or sketching sheets?

Sarah — April 18, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hi,
    I plan on doing something like this really soon. But I plan on adding a word to the right bottom. Do you have any idea how I could do that? I was kind of thinking of drawing the word on, then covering it up when the crayons start to melt. Or would that not work?

Sydney B. — May 11, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Hi, Glory!

question- do you have to use canvas? or does regular paper work?

• Glory replied: — May 18th, 2013 @ 2:38 am

I would highly recommend using a canvas, I’m not sure that paper would be quite strong enough, but feel free to experiment if you like.

Makayla — May 14, 2013 at 4:00 pm

This is awesome! where do you get a heat gun?

• Glory replied: — May 18th, 2013 @ 2:21 am

You can find a heat gun at most craft stores (such as Michaels or Joann’s), sometimes you’ll find it in the gift wrap area, or sometimes in the stamping section.

ally — June 8, 2013 at 2:53 pm

hey, thanks for doing this, i have looked at all sorts of websites and none of them have been as good as this!

Michelle — June 9, 2013 at 3:21 am

I’ve been looking up this crayon art and so far yours has been the product I’ve wanted!! It’s so cute, but do you know the temperature your heat gun produced? I got a heat gun but it has so many temperatures to choose from ):

Sara — July 20, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Hi Glory, you’re awesome and soooo creative. I’m from Colombia and I was wondering if I could use hair blower and instead of using canvas or normal paper, using poster board. Please answer my concern, I really admire your work and want to do something really similar. :)

• Glory replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

Hi Sara, You may be able to use a hair dryer, but it will likely blow the melted wax around a bit more, and take longer. You could probably use a thick poster board, but I would not recommend regular paper.

Sara — July 22, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Hair dryer * sorryyyyy muak xoxo

Joanne — August 3, 2013 at 12:31 am

I Love this! I have been searching the web for instructions on the various melted crayon designs. Seeing yours made with the heat gun has mad me want to nix the hair dryer completely. I like the straight even lines that the heat gun allows, since it does not use such forceful air. Very nicely done…thanks

Jesica — September 5, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I want to make something a bit smaller and more concentrated using less colors. Do you have any experience or recommendation on how to order from Crayola? Thanks for the tutorial!!

• Glory replied: — September 17th, 2013 @ 9:04 pm

Hi Jesica, No, I’ve never ordered certain color in bulk. My guess is that is might be just as cheap to buy several large boxes and pick out the colors you need. Best of luck!

I cant say because im a kid — September 15, 2013 at 6:01 pm

R you aloud to use regular paper

• Glory replied: — September 17th, 2013 @ 9:05 pm

Hi, No, I would not recommend using just paper, unless it is very thick. The canvases are strong enough to hold the weight of the glued and crayons, and also not warp when the melted wax starts running down. You can find the canvases pretty cheap at Wal-Mart or most craft stores.

I cant say because im a kid — September 15, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Sorry i would say my name but my mom tells me not to

Clare — October 5, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Does regular glue work? Does regular paper? Can you write or tape stuff on it? Like happy birthday on the bottom?

• Glory replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

Clare, Regular glue may work, but it will take a bit longer to dry. I would not recommend regular paper, because it would not be stiff enough to hold the crayons. Feel free to add text or images at the bottom, you’ll have to play around with it a bit based on the size of canvas you use.

Erykah — December 23, 2013 at 1:50 am

It’s so beautiful and your advice helped thanks

Melissa McNerney — February 11, 2014 at 10:16 pm

can you post a close up of the names

Ryan Pontious — April 1, 2014 at 1:47 am

We are doing this in art, we can’t use a heat gun so we are using a hairdryer and it turns out fine

Kike — April 5, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Thanks a lot!!! Perfect post and great explanation. It’s really marvellous, I’m gonna try it.

Kendall — May 9, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Hello, I was wondering if heavy sketching paper would work and about how long does it take to do this

• Glory replied: — June 2nd, 2014 @ 4:32 pm

Hi Kendall, I’ve only done this project on canvases, and I would recommend to do the same. Feel free to experiment if you like. The amount of time the project takes will vary based on if you are using a heat gun or blow dryer, and how big the project is. It does take some time and patience. Happy crafting!

Dena — June 14, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Just so everyone will know- I just attempted to begin melting crayons I attached with regular craft glue and it caused the glue to melt also. Use hot glue. Also, I hadn’t read the tutorial before started about the blow dryer so I guess I’ll need to invest in a cheap heat gun since I probably won’t do this project but maybe once more

Karin Grenestam — August 7, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Hey!!
    so beautiful !! I want to do a painting as you but i have a question, what heat of the heat gun did you use?

1. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Rainbow Art Birthday Party

2. Pingback: Peace, Love, and Rainbow Art | madimeandering

3. Pingback: crayon art zelfmaken

4. Pingback: Melted Crayon Art | Home and Heart DIY

5. Pingback: Melted Crayon Art | Endless DIY

6. Pingback: Elements & Principles of Design Projects | falcon fashion

7. Pingback: I promise this is not photoshopped. | sheerheart photography

8. Pingback: Crazy about Crayon Colors |

9. Pingback: D.I.Y. Melted Crayon Art |

10. Pingback: WRCR at Drew Designorama! |

11. Pingback: {weekly} obsessions | {a modern scrapbook}

12. Pingback: Derek Gilbert is Denver's premier Real Estate Agent. Also servicing Willow Creek

13. Pingback: Custom Crayon Art | Fine Art By Hope Mikal