Sweet Baby Cupcakes (with easy fondant toppers)

I’ve been enjoying sharing lots of fall recipes, but today is a little break from fall themed treats.

Today we’re part of a baby shower!

Ok… so it’s just a “virtual” shower, but when your a super sweet blogger like Kristan of Confessions of a Cookbook Queen, you’re bound to have friends from every end of the country.  Since we couldn’t all celebrate with Kristan in person, some of her blogging buddies have teamed up to “shower” Kristan with some special treats, made in her honor (but eaten by us!).

Kristan is due any day with a sweet baby girl, Lucy.

Lucy and Kristan, these are for you…

I made a batch of my favorite Chocolate Cupcakes and topped them with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.

Then, I added some personalized fondant toppers for this special occasion.

This style of topper could certainly be made for any variety of occasions!  You could spell out a message (as shown above), or include a single initial for a wedding, or personalized gift.

Want to make your own stamped fondant toppers?  They’re quite easy and so versatile!

Let’s get started!

If you’re not familiar with working with fondant, start with a previous post of mine, Fondant 101.

Directions (as shown above)-

1.  Roll out fondant.

2.  Cut a small heart, or any shape desired.

3.-4.  Press a stamp into the heart.

5.  Set the fondant accent on a paper plate or lint free paper towel to dry.   Allow to dry several hours (preferably 1-2 days) before adding to cupcakes.  Fondant accents may be made several weeks in advance and stored in a tupperware type container.  I keep mine sealed, but in more humid climates you may want to leave the container slightly cracked open.

The stamps shown are from a set I bought a Michael’s a while back, that was designed to be used for clay or cement crafts.  You can use most anything that creates an impression, such as a stamped designed for paper crafts.  There are also lots of fondant impression tools on the market, sold in the baking section.   (*Note- obviously use new stamps that have not been used for other non-food crafts.  Also, paper craft supplies may or may not be made with food-safe plastics, use at your own discretion.)

Prop note- The cupcake liners I purchased recently at Home Goods.  Similar cupcake cases available from The Tomkat Studio or Shop Sweet Lulu.

And what’s a baby shower without lots of yummy treats?

Check out all of the beautiful and deicious things Kristan’s friends have whipped up!

Cookies and Cups | Zebra Cake Cupcakes

The Hungry Housewife | White Cupcakes

She Wears Many Hats |  Pretty in Pink Party Marshmallows

Two Peas and Their Pod | Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes

Bluebonnets and Brownies | Apple Cider Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

My Baking Addiction | Sugar and Spice Cupcakes

Picky Palate | Pumpkin Brownie Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream

Blooming on Bainbridge | Twinkie Cupcakes with Pink Cherry Frosting

Food For My Family | Pomegranate and Lime Olive Oil Yogurt Cupcakes

Bakingdom | Homemade Twinkie Cupcakes

Sprinkle Bakes | Princess Torte Cupcakes

Glorious Treats | Sweet Baby Cupcakes with Easy Fondant Toppers  (you’re already here!)

Sweet Sugarbelle | Damask Cookies

Buns In My Oven | Maple Cupcakes with Maple Frosting

Dine and Dish | Neapolitan Cream Filled Cupcakes

Chocolate and Carrots | Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes

Bake at 350 | Little Pumpkin Cupcakes

Living Locurto | Baby Shower Printables (coming soon)

Congratulations Kristan!  We can’t wait to meet your sweet little girl!

58 Responses to “Sweet Baby Cupcakes (with easy fondant toppers)”

ThisBakerGirlBlogs — October 22, 2012 at 8:11 am

How pretty! Looks very effortless :)

shelly (cookies and cups) — October 22, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I am sure these couldn’t be any prettier if you tried! Gorgeous, as usual Glory!!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — October 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm

These cupcakes (and toppers!) are simply lovely. I’m so impressed with the beautiful things we each made for Kristan, I have to tell you. But these sweet little fondant toppers – they just make me grin!

TidyMom — October 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm

oh I love how simple these are and make such a huge impact!! what a cute idea Glory!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — October 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm

so cute, simple but really they are great.

Maria — October 22, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Awww! I love the toppers! So cute!

Karly — October 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm

These are gorgeous, Glory! I love the simple fondant decoration!

Amy — October 22, 2012 at 1:17 pm

You make it look so easy. They’re precious!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — October 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm

These are so perfect and easy! Pretty in pink!

TriciaZ — October 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm

These are gorgeous, Glory. You make a perfect cupcake!

Jaclyn — October 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm

beautiful as always! love that little cupcake stand.

heather — October 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

So pretty. Love that swirly frosting!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — October 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm

These are so perfect for baby Lucy! I’m loving how you used the fondant as a cute accent for the cupcakes…and those cupcake liners are precious!

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — October 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm

These are so pretty, girly, and perfect!

Francesca — October 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Dear Glory, thank you for yet another lovely blog post. I am sure Kristan will be delighted with your cupcakes. They are stunning. I was just wondering – where did you purchase the beautiful stamp lettering from please?
    Hope you had a nice weekend – Francesca

• Glory replied: — October 22nd, 2012 @ 3:57 pm

Francesca- As I mentioned in the post, I found the stamps at Michael’s craft store. They were designed for clay or cement crafts.

Kristen — October 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I love how precious these are…what a creative topper! Sweet.

ayza ali — October 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Hi Glory
    Lovely looking cupcakes. Youre very talented! I wanted to ask,which number tip did you use to ice the cupcakes?

Elizabeth Ann — October 22, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Looks amazing! :-) I’m your newest follower!

Francesca — October 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm

oops I’m so dumb; thank you Glory – not sure how I missed that, I am sorry.

• Glory replied: — October 22nd, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

No problem! I get easily distracted when looking at cupcakes too! =)

teresa — October 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Sweetest cupcake toppers ever!
    Heart these to pieces!
    I just love fondant!
    xo

Liz — October 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm

How cute are these! ^_^ Lovely!

bridget {bake at 350} — October 22, 2012 at 6:24 pm

These are just precious, Glory! Love the heart toppers!!!

Cecilia Midgette — October 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm

These are super sweet and I love the font you used for the letters! Great work my friend! Love you!

Six Sisters — October 22, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Absolutely adore these cute baby cupcakes! We love looking at all of the fun cupcakes for the arrival of sweet baby Lucy! We would love to have you share these any time at our Strut Your Stuff Saturday link party! It’s so fun to see everyone’s creative ideas and recipes! We hope to hear from you! -The Six Sisters

Joanne — October 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm

We have never tried to use fondant before. You might have inspired some experimenting in the near future ;) These are beautiful.

Cookbook Queen — October 22, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Glory these are just beautiful!!

I was so surprised to wake up this morning to such a sweet shower. I am so very lucky to call you a friend. Thank you for all the love and support, it truly means the world to me!!!

Sherri D. — October 22, 2012 at 9:10 pm

AHHHH….you make it look so easy!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — October 23, 2012 at 12:19 am

Oh, Glory – I love these! Your little fondant toppers are just darling – I definitely need to pick up that little stamping tool.

Paula — October 23, 2012 at 12:37 am

These look delicious and precious! Your fondant toppers are the sweetest and I love the script you chose.

Suzanne Perazzini — October 23, 2012 at 1:26 am

These look too cute. I have a pile of white chocolate, berry cream cheese frosting left over from a cake I made and it would work so well on these cupcakes since it is pink.

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — October 23, 2012 at 2:36 am

These are simply beautiful. The presentation is just perfect. :)

Darla | Bakingdom — October 23, 2012 at 4:16 am

These are the sweetest. I’m in love!

Brantcookies — October 24, 2012 at 2:14 pm

So sweet, wish we had some baby girls in our family, we all keep having boys! LOL Beautiful work!

Sharnel — October 25, 2012 at 8:16 pm

What a beautiful, classic design Glory. I love them.

Edora — November 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

It lovely to see ur blogs…I hv a question here regards fondant decor on top cream cheese frosting…I did the creamy cheese frosting a day advance and fridge it for next day for me to do frosting on the red velvet. Cake was done earlier too before I did the frosting.
    On the next night, I started to do my topper n flowers using fondant. Abt 1hr I completed doing my decor, I put it aside n then I bring out the frosting from fridge. I did not bit it or wait it to cool. I straight away I put the frosting in my piping bag n wait about 5mins then I swirl it. I sprinkle it with some beads then I started to put the toppers n flower which I did earlier on usiing fondant. Unfortunately it become disaster. It melted! It was so sad n disappointed coz I hv to start all over agin n decor with the toppers n flowers.

My question,
    1) can I use fondant toppers n decors on top of creamy cheese as what I see on ur blogs?
    2) must I not put the frosting in the fridge? Or once I put in the fridge, I need to beat it again in order for me to use again the frosting,
    Hope to hear from u soon…I will try ur receipes soon…

• Glory replied: — November 12th, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

Edora, I would suggest letting your fondant decorations dry at least 2 days before adding them to cupcakes, if they are nto going to be eaten right away. Also, once you add your fondant decorations, do not put the cupcakes in the fridge.

Deborah — November 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I can’t seem to get a message to go through on your “contact” option at the bottom of the page, so am going to try sending one here. I hope it works!

Hi, Gloria!

I accidentally stumbled across your blog several months ago, and all I can say is what a lucky day that was for me! I have wanted to try decorating cupcakes for the longest time, and your simple decorating and tutorials inspired me enough to try. With your help, I found that even I can make a swirl with a 1M tip and my cupcakes look beautiful. I have made them for several different occasions now and I am looking forward to trying the rose swirl. I would strongly encourage you to publish a cookbook with your recipes, techniques, and step-by-step tutorials. I would be first in line to buy a copy! Have you given the idea any thought?

Thanks again for your wonderful blog! I eagerly await every new treat!

Sincerely,

Deborah

• Glory replied: — November 8th, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

Hi Deborah, I’m not sure why the contact form wouldn’t work, but my e-mail address is listed on the “contact” page as well. Feel free to use that e-mail as needed =)
      Thanks for your sweet comments, I’m so glad you found my site and are enjoying the posts. I do have dreams/plans of a “someday” cookbook, but am quite busy with just blogging at the moment!
      Happy Baking!
      Glory

Cupcake Daily Blog — November 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

Absolutely lovely! Such a cute idea for cupcakes. Thanks for sharing.

Ann — March 25, 2013 at 7:36 am

I just love allllll your work!! Totally amazing! Your photos are remarkable and your recipes are scruptious!! Thank you so much for sharing. May I ask what stamp you used for the lettering?

Thanks again:)

Mattie — September 26, 2013 at 3:14 am

Oh my — where did you get that adorable cupcake pedestal? I want some!

marcela rosas — October 5, 2013 at 1:15 am

Hi! I’m a huge fan of yours despite the distance (I’m from Chile!!). I wanted to ask you about the stamps you used for your sweet baby cupcakes… I’ve been trying to find them at Michaels.com, but they don’t seem to carry them any more. I find that those letters are very cute. It’s hard to shop on-line. Any hint?

Congratulations for all your excellent work! Regards from South America, Marcela

1. Pingback: Maple Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting | Buns In My Oven

2. Pingback: Homemade Twinkie Cupcakes - Bakingdom

3. Pingback: Pumpkin Brownie Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream | Picky Palate

4. Pingback: Zebra Cake Cupcakes

5. Pingback: Pretty in Pink Party Marshmallows | She Wears Many Hats

6. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe | Raspberry Frosting Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

7. Pingback: Apple Cider Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting | Bluebonnets & Brownies

8. Pingback: Neapolitan Cream Filled Cupcakes Recipe for Baby Shower | Dine and Dish

9. Pingback: Virtual Baby Shower Cupcakes for Kristan {Cookbook Queen} | chocolate & carrots

10. Pingback: Pretty Stenciled Damask Cookies