Pineapple Tree Centerpiece with Fruit Monkeys

In my last couple posts I’ve mentioned a big Luau party my family has the pleasure of attending every year.  For almost 10 years we have enjoyed friendship with a family that is not only kind, generous, and talented… but they know how to throw an amazing party!

The decorations and elaborate preparations that go into the Lange Luau are always stunning!  This year, Shelly (the party hostess), added a new showstopper… an amazing fruit display with a tall pineapple ‘tree’, adorned by the most adorable fruit monkeys!  Shelly saw a tree like this on a recent cruise and took a photo.  Then she got to work and re-created it just for her party guests to enjoy!

To assemble this beautiful display, Shelly enlisted her handy hubby (Steve) to make a metal base, with a thin metal pole to skewer the pineapples onto.  This was the main support structure.  Alternatively, a wooden dowel, secured into a base would work as a support too.  The pineapple “tower” will be quite heavy.  Make sure the base is nice and wide.  The base could also be clamped to the table for added support.

Once the pineapples were stacked (skewered onto the pole), then the work of attaching the pineapple tops (the tree “leaves”), as well as the kiwi “coconuts” began.  All of the fruit and tops were secured with bamboo skewers.

For the monkeys, Shelly assembled the head (made of an orange, orange slice ears, lemon mouth, radish slice and 1/2 of a grape for eyes), and used bamboo skewers to attach it to the body (a papaya).  Then, with some help from friends, the monkey’s body is held in place on the tree trunk, while bananas were added as arms and legs.

One of the monkey’s got a few girly upgrades… eyelashes and lipstick (drawn with a marker), raffia “hair”, and a little flower lei.

As a little bonus to the fun fruit centerpiece, Shelly is allowing me to share a few images of her gorgeous yard.  For more photos of this incredible yard, you can see my 2010 Luau Party post.

The yearly Luau party is held a hill side back yard, which is divided into layers with several beautiful decks and patios.  The yard has been designed, landscaped and built into the showpiece it is today by the homeowners, Steve and Shelly.  Every square inch of the limited space has been beautifully though out and put to use.

Enjoy…

Now, who’s ready for a Luau?

38 Responses to “Pineapple Tree Centerpiece with Fruit Monkeys”

Haniela — August 30, 2012 at 11:28 am

I love those fruit monkeys, Especially the girl fruit monkey with the lipstick on. So adorable. Everything looks wonderful.

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more — August 30, 2012 at 11:36 am

so fun, and I love that back yard!

Jaclyn — August 30, 2012 at 11:40 am

WOW. How cute are those monkeys!? I love the female one. And that yard is amazing, looks like the perfect location for an annual luau :)

Cathy @ Noble Pig — August 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Wow, that is amazing….what a party showstopper!

Sadaf — August 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Amazing………..to say the least !!!!!

Paula — August 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm

This is gorgeous and fun! I can imagine the conversations that centered around this centerpiece.

Carola Jamett — August 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Desde Chile ¡Felicitaciones, muy hermoso y creativo! Y felicitaciones también por cultivar la tradición anual de una fiesta familiar tan alegre y bella

Wicked Goodies — August 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm

That is very unusual and fun! Thanks for making me smile today :)

Nann — August 30, 2012 at 4:14 pm

WOW!!! This is just SO SO fun!! Shelly really did a fabulous centerpiece. SO creative. I even had to show my husband. She is AMAZING! Love it! Thanks for sharing all these fab photos.

Angie @ Big Bear's Wife — August 30, 2012 at 4:34 pm

haha look at those little monkeys!!!

CFD — August 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Oh nice! C’est trop mignon!! It’s so cute! J’aime beaucoup!!! Bravo!

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons — August 30, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I am in love with that Monkey Tree…how cute!

ceecee — August 30, 2012 at 5:54 pm

OMG…just had a luau party for my 8yr old….makes me want to do it again with this monkey tree!!!!!
    ceecee

Sweetsugarbelle — August 30, 2012 at 8:20 pm

This is insanely AWESOME!

susie — August 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I was all aflutter over that pineapple tree…then I saw the backyard. Seriously Jonesing that landscaping. Gorgeous photography too!

Georganne (LilaLoa) — August 31, 2012 at 1:13 am

Oh. My. Goodness!!! Those monkeys are SOO stinking adorable!!! What a crazy amount of work, but SUCH a fun idea!!

Maria — August 31, 2012 at 1:55 pm

So fun!

Shelly Lange — August 31, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Thanks guys! The monkeys were super fun to make & not that hard either. The yard on the other hand.. That took years! My husband and I make a great team because I think things up, and he builds them! The worst words he hears from me are “Steve, I have an idea…” Lol

Brantcookies — September 1, 2012 at 2:00 pm

My duaghter and I love the girl monkey, so cute. I see a Luau party for a 7 year old in the future. No coconut bras though! LOL Thanks for sharing!

Lior — September 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

this is the cutest!!!

Deborah Jennings — September 1, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Love this! It makes me think of the cruises we have been on. They have these types of sculptures on board ship and more. I have taken many a picture of them. I have seen flowers, all kinds of animals and everything else imaginable. Thank you for the smile you put on my face today.

Lindy Ramsey — September 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Love the monkeys & your gardens absolutely beautiful!

Manju — September 2, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Very nice keep it up

cassandra — September 6, 2012 at 5:30 am

I NEVER EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS,PLZ SUBSCRIBE MY EMAIL TO UR BUSINESS,I WUD LOVE TO SEE MORE OF UR WORK ,FRM UR COOKIES TO UR FRUIT,I WUD LOVE TO SEE ALL OF UR ART WORK.(*__*)

Shelly — September 12, 2012 at 8:20 pm

What a beautiful yard Shelly has..I would add a hammock and never leave the back yard..lol I also love this blog. I am a beginner in cupcakes and decorating and I have learned so much from this page! Thank you for taking the time to put step by step directions on here. It has helped me enormously!! Thanks again for your beautiful posts and great ideas!

CLEONICE MACIEL — September 16, 2012 at 12:05 am

FANTÁSTICO! AMEI! LINDO! PARABÉNS, QUE DEUS conserve essas mãos abençoadas.
    Trabalho belíssimo. Se me permite, vou tentar fazer um desses(árvore ou coqueiro feito de abacaxi). Se eu conseguir enviarei uma foto para você.
    Desde já agradeço pela atenção, um forte abraço e fique com DEUS.

VisayanOne — September 30, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Very cool idea! Love the backyard too!

Jennifer — October 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm

shelly.. I need your help!!! I loved your monkey fruit tree so much I am making it for a monkey themed baby shower.. I can not for the life of me figure out how to make a base.. Ive looked at wooded dowels (had never heard of them b4 lol) can you please email me directly and tell me exactly how your husband made the stand/base!! Jennifer5277@gmail.com help! The showers a few weeks away!

Sophia — November 25, 2012 at 12:42 am

This is hilarious, so cute! A fruit monkey and palm tree! Would love to make this for a summer party.

nilton fariolly — December 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm

bonita decoração pretendo receber informações de outras e como fazer se eu puder usar fazendo em festas familiar, obrigado por essa ter sido publicado.

talula — May 23, 2013 at 11:07 pm

love this idea, making one tomorrow for my brothers birthday but only half the tree….thanks for this wonderful post

Beverly — June 5, 2013 at 4:55 pm

my niece wants me to male a pineapple palm tree for her wedding reception. Question do you cut out all the meat? or just just cut enough out of center to put post through? Do I need to put skewers to hold pineapples together> She is having post with base and a tray made to put more fruit on.

JoAnn — July 31, 2013 at 10:49 am

OMG!!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!! ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!! I am making one for my granddaughters birthday. She has a monkey theme!!!!! how very cool!!! I also wonder if you take out some of the pineapple meat before assembling!!!! Thanks a ton!!!

Tara Aloui — September 9, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Hi I am making this decoration for a retirement party on saturday , My question is what are you using to hold the bananas in place ?? Thnak you for info.

• Glory replied: — September 9th, 2013 @ 10:17 pm

Everything is being held together by wooden (bamboo) skewers.

merana — March 1, 2014 at 2:57 pm