Chocolate S’mores Cupcakes {Recipe}

What could be a more perfect cupcake flavor for summer than s’mores?  I first gave this recipe combo a try several years ago, and have since made them several times.  They are always such a hit for summer parties!  A delicious chocolate cupcake (using my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe) is paired with light and fluffy mashmallowy frosting and topped with the traditional elements of s’mores… graham crackers and chocolate.

Chocolate S’mores Cupcakes

Chocolate Cupcakes

(makes 24-27 standard sized cupcakes)

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (best quality available)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (best quality available)
3/4 cup boiling water

Directions-
1.  Line muffin tin with paper liners. Heat oven to 350*F.
2.  In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3.  Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
4.  Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin, don’t worry, this is right).
5.  Fill liners 2/3 full with batter. (I usually put the batter into a large measuring cup with a pour spout, and then pour the batter into the liners.)
6.  Bake cupcakes for approximately 22-24 minutes.
7.  Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.

Recipe source- Adjusted slightly from Hersheys.

Marshmallow Frosting

2 (large) egg whites

1 cup sugar

6 Tablespoons water

1 Tablespoon light corn syrup

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup miniature marshmallows

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions-

1.  In a large heatproof bowl (the metal bowl of your electric mixer), combine the egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup, cream of tartar and salt.

2.  Set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat mixture, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is very warm to the touch (about 160*F), about 3 minutes.

3.  Remove the bowl from the saucepan.  Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed, about 2 minutes.

4.  In a small bowl, microwave 1 cup mini marshmallows 30 seconds to 1 minute, until puffed, and starting to melt.

5.  Add marshmallows to mixture in electric mixer, reduce speed to low and add vanilla.  Continue beating (on low) until the marshmallows are melted and frosting is completely smooth (about 3-4 minutes).  Use frosting right away.

Recipe source- Cupcakes by Shelly Kaldunski.

Assembly-

Frost cooled Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow frosting.  I used a large french tip.  If desired, use a kitchen torch to brown the frosting.  Top frosted cupcakes with a piece of Hersheys chocolate, and a piece of graham cracker.

*Note- The graham cracker gets a bit soft from the frosting.  If it’s important to you that it be nice and crisp, I would try baking the graham crackers (in a single layer on a baking sheet) about 5 minutes in a 325*F oven to dry them out a bit.  I’ve never done this, but I will try it next time I make these.

As delicious as these cupcakes are, I just might have a few more s’mores themed recipes coming your way this week, so feel free to stock up on marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate!

Oh the delicious flavors of summer!

68 Responses to “Chocolate S’mores Cupcakes {Recipe}”

Middleton Family — July 17, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I've been so excited to see this series! First one is a winner! SO cute! You are making me want to do a Winter Campout Party for Kenyon this year.

SweetSugarBelle — July 17, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Im so excited about this week! These are so beautful and one of the first Glory creations that stopped me in my tracks! BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Big lol my capsha was gushes

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) — July 18, 2011 at 3:56 am

Super looking cupcakes! The frosting is so perfect.

Sue — July 18, 2011 at 7:18 am

Love the perfectly suited decorations, especially the "torched" frostig!

Sue — July 18, 2011 at 7:19 am

oops…FROSTING.

Melissa D — July 18, 2011 at 8:38 am

These look so yummy! Do they need to be refrigerated?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — July 18, 2011 at 9:04 am

Melissa- No, they should be fine left out at room temperature. The frosting is best the day it is made, so if you are short on time, I would make the cupcakes the day before (cover and store at room temp), then frost them the day they will be served.

cookies and cups — July 18, 2011 at 9:54 am

gorgeous and I am sure absolutely delicious! I HAVE to try your chocolate cake recipe :)

Jackie R — July 18, 2011 at 10:11 am

These are FANTASTIC looking cupcakes. I'm sure they taste out of this world!!! Thank you so much for the recipe. This is a must try in our house!!!

Glory — July 18, 2011 at 11:43 am

The toasted marshmallow frosting totally makes this for me. It's a shame I don't have a big mixer (only a regular hand electric mixer)… or I'd totally be making these!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — July 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

(the other) Glory- I bet you could do it with a hand-held mixer. Just make sure the marshmallows are mostly melted before you add them to the frosting mixture.

Bediels & Co. — July 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm

These look so incredibly delicious! I wish I could just grab one from the computer. :)

All Boys and Me — July 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I can't wait to see what other recipes you have up your sleeve. We do an annual campout where get this…no open fires are allowed – gasp! So we have a smores contest. I was going to do a smores martini but that would only get the adult votes, lol.

adimakos — July 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Hi Glory — These look fabulous! I was wondering if I could take out or substitute the cream of tartar. Although it's a small amount, I find that it sometimes leaves a strange aftertaste when included in recipes. I've heard it's a stabilizer, but isn't necessary. What are your thoughts?

Lark (SparkyLarky) — July 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Oh my flipping heck! WOW!

James Robert Gratiot — July 19, 2011 at 7:30 am

These don't have any calories, do they? :) Glory, these look amazing.

Cecilia — July 19, 2011 at 5:29 pm

These look super delicious! I love s'more cupcakes! Love you!

Our Family — July 19, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Hi!
    I just started following your blog and am loving the recipes. You made my kids week with this one! Thanks for sharing! This weekend we are going to try the Smores Pops. Yum!

Di-licious — July 20, 2011 at 1:06 am

These just look amazing – I've never had a s'more before but now I really, really, really want to eat your cupcake interpretation!

Anonymous — July 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I just made these cupcakes and frosting but my frosting is really thin. What did I do wrong?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — July 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Anonymous- I'm sorry, I can't be sure without being in your kitchen… this frosting is soft, but should hold it's shape enough to be piped (as I did). I'm thinking you may have not heated the mixture fully, or whipped it enough at each stage. Are you using a large electic mixer? If not, you will need to increase the beating times even more. Hope you give it another try!

A Pretty Life in the Suburbs — July 20, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I love these! They look amazing! And frosting with marshmallows?! Yum! I'd love it if you could share these at my Cakes, Cupcakes and Icing linky party!
    Jo-Anna

CeRae — July 21, 2011 at 7:24 am

Oh Yum! I've been on a cupcake kick lately, and I'm definitely going to try these this summer. Thank you for the recipes and the lovely photos :)

Anonymous — July 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm

We have to bring something sweet to the family reunion coming in august We will be camping and I will be making these cupcakes!!! will let you know how they go over :)

Simply Bungalow — July 31, 2011 at 7:41 am

Those look amazing! I just found your blog and all of everything looks yummy!
    ~Heidi

Never Pay Full Price — August 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I don't know what I did wrong but, I made the frosting twice and it was way too runny. I wish I could have made it work:(

Tabby Bear — August 2, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Love the hersey chocolate idea. I super love hersey and I think I will try this one. This looks good for our reunion.

Red Unique — August 3, 2011 at 6:10 am

Real work of art! I just love how you decorated your cupcakes!

The Ellis' — August 4, 2011 at 10:39 am

These are fabulous! We are featuring this recipe for our "Fresh Food Friday" segment this Friday. Come by and grab a button! We adore your blog!

Love,
    The Sisters @

Five of US — August 5, 2011 at 8:45 am

So, this give me an excuse to do two things: 1) Make s'mores cupcakes. 2) Buy a torch. Thank you!

-(non)Working Girl

Piano Toy — August 8, 2011 at 3:42 am

I see such beautiful picture of S’mores cupcake only in recipe magazines. It looks like you’re a pro in taking pictures of the S’mores. You know, S’mores is my most favorite of all the cupcakes and I can’t wait trying your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Anazar — August 8, 2011 at 4:56 am

Simply gorgeous!!

SEO Company — August 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I am also excite this series. These are most beautiful. This are all perfect look and love all decoration.

Unknown — August 12, 2011 at 8:29 am

My son-in-law who is lactose intolderant LOVES marshmellows…. he will love this!

ms t — August 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Oh man these are great! I made them today- easy to make, great tasting, and probably the prettiest cupcake I've ever made! Thanks for sharing!

Ashley — August 15, 2011 at 10:03 am

I made these last week for National Smore's Day and they were AMAZING!

Laurie — August 20, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Wonderful – marvelous! Taking these camping in a few weeks. QUESTION – when you say french tip, what tip do you mean in wilton lingo? Thanks for your cool site!

torriiii — August 22, 2011 at 12:51 pm

i made these last night for my hubs and the ladies at my office. they came out fantastic! a huge hit! thanks for recipe! and PS, if you only have a electric hand mixer, the marshmallow frosting is still doable! :)

Maryanna — August 23, 2011 at 1:06 pm

These look delish! Will the frosting hold up overnight?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — August 28, 2011 at 11:35 am

@Laurie- I don't think Wilton has a french tip equivalant. My post here, http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2011/08/cupcake-basics-how-to-frost-cupcakes.html
    shows the various cupcake decorating tips, and includes sources.

@Maryanna- The frosting gets a little firm if left out, but I think they would still be ok. My preference with these would be to frost them the same day they will be eaten.

Susan @ The Weekly Sweet Experiment — October 31, 2011 at 9:08 am

Hi Glory! I love these cupcakes. I made them and posted them on my blog – The Weekly Sweet Experiment. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anna ~ RandomHandprints.com — February 21, 2012 at 5:54 pm

look amazing!

Sue — February 25, 2012 at 6:21 pm

These look amazing! I had been thinking about marshmallow frosting and how it could be done. Thank you for this!

Anonymous — April 19, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Tried this recipe tonight and OMG they are AMAZING! Quite labour intensive for a cupcake but well worth it! As some others have mentioned my icing was way too runny initially to pipe. Luckily I was able to fix it. Added a whole other cup of melted marshmellows and beat with my electric mixer for like 10 more mins on medium until I could see it stiffing and forming peaks. Piped great after that! Yummy! Thanks for this recipe :o)

Sharon — May 1, 2012 at 10:40 am

My comments: cake a nice consistency and moist but felt it needed more chocolate. Next time will toss in some choc chips or a bit of melted baking chocolate. Frosting turned out just right. I used mixer for a long time and also tossed in some powdered sugar at the end. We crushed the Graham crackers and sprinkled on top then added small squares of Hershey's choc. Delish but crackers will lose crunch after a day or two. Best to garnish day of serving. Hershey's choc melted just a bit in the warm icing – liked that effect. Thx for recipe!

Elajr — May 12, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Just wondering about the frosting, does it crust if left at room temperature at around 70F? Or will it still be good at room temperature for at least 2-3 days? Thanks.

Angela — July 13, 2012 at 11:13 pm

In the process of making these cupcakes. I added about 3/4 cups of melted chocolate chips to make these more chocolatey and I used cake flour instead of all purpose flour. They turned out absolutely fabulous. Can’t wait to do the frosting tomorrow.

Angela — July 15, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Made this frosting in the morning before I served my cupcakes. Added one extra cup of marshmallow because I didn’t think it tasted enough like marshmallow and then whipped the crap out of it with my KitchenAid mixer. Turned out great. It held up awesome in the 90 degree heat.

Kim — July 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I made these cupcakes tonight, the cupcakes themselves turned out great! The frosting, however, was very watery/runny despite following the directions to a T. Any suggestions on how to thicken the frosting up?
    thanks!

KR — August 2, 2012 at 3:19 am

hey! cupcakes turned out great. i have made the frosting multiple times and it always comes out too runny, any suggestions/

Holly — August 29, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Made these last night. Totally cheated and used a boxed cake mix. Beat the stuffing out of the frosting, but it never seemed to start peaking enough that I thought it would hold up to piping. Since I had company coming in less than 30 minutes, I piped it like it was, rather than trying to ‘fix’ it only to totally ruin it. Although it didn’t keep a great piping shape, it only ‘smoothed out’ a little, so they looked okay, not as good as yours. The frosting is an absolute ooey gooey mess to get in the piping bag, but SO worth it – tastes wonderful. I didn’t bother getting out my stand mixer – so not sure it that’s why it didn’t stiffen up enough, or not. I’ll try the stand mixed next time, and if it still isn’t peaking, I’ll throw in more marshmallows. I will certainly make these again, because of their awesomeness, and despite their messiness! :-)

Small critique here – my old eyes are having a very difficult time with this blue font on blue background – color scheme of website is lovely, but this however, is very difficult for my older eyes.

Suzie — October 15, 2012 at 11:56 am

These look amazing i had to try! Everything tasted great i just had a problem with piping the frosting it wouldnt stay just seem to just melt away

Thit — July 11, 2013 at 8:27 am

Is it important that it is cream of tartar you are using for the frosting?

Donna — October 9, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Hi, these look amazing! Just noticed something though. I clicked on the link in the first paragraph for your go-to chocolate cupcake recipe and noticed that there you use 1 cup of boiling water and in this recipe you use 3/4 cup. Have you found that 3/4 of a cup works better?

Thank you. Love your site!

Patricia — December 12, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I showed this to my science teacher today. He was like, ‘Are you gonna bring them tomorrow? Are you gonna bring them tomorrow? Are you gonna bring them tomorrow?’
    Cuz theres a Christmas party tmr :D
    But I’m making the gingerbread cookies instead

Melissa @ Stitches In Flight — December 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm

HI! These cupcakes are so cute!
    I am featuring them in a cupcake roundup on my blog tomorrow.
    Thanks for sharing!

1. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Glorious Treats in Artful Blogging Magazine

2. Pingback: what to bake? RSPCA cupcake day | adventures of the ordinary

3. Pingback: Friday Roundup & Marshmallow Meringue Frosting « sugareuphoria

4. Pingback: 11 Cupcake Recipes You Must Try » Inspiring Pretty

5. Pingback: Chocolate S’mores Cupcakes by Glorious Treats

6. Pingback: Live Life Beautifully Blog » Beautiful Cupcakes

7. Pingback: S'Mores Cupcakes | TramplingroseTramplingrose

8. Pingback: S’mores Saturdays: The Ultimate Roundup of 75 S’mores Inspired Recipes

9. Pingback: National Chocolate Day- 12 Tempting S’mores Recipes! | Daily Holiday Blog

10. Pingback: Chocolate S’mores Cupcakes