{Cookie Decorating} How to make pretty hibiscus cookies

I’m here today to show you how to decorate hibiscus cookies, like the ones I included in my Luau dessert buffet last weekend.  I received lots of sweet comment regarding these cookies, and I’ll admit I find them pretty special too.  The decorating process involves several steps, but none of them are too complicated, and I think that many of you will be able to produce some beautiful cookies as well.
Note: I already have a tutorial on making the pineapple cookies (like above) HERE
First off, I don’t have a hibiscus cookie cutter… so I took a four leaf clover cookie cutter, and used some pliers to shape it into something resembling a hibiscus!  =)
Now, you’ll need to prepare some cookie dough (my recipe is HERE), chill the dough well, bake and then cool.
Prepare some royal icing (I use THIS recipe).  You’ll want to have a bag (or bottle) of icing in a thick consistency and one in a thinned (flood) consistency for each color.
Prepare your work area (HERE is what mine looks like).
Outline the cookie with a flood consistency icing (this can also be done with the thick consistency icing, but I prefer the seamless look of outlining and flooding in the same icing). You’ll have to experiment a bit to make sure your flood consistency icing is not so runny it just falls right off the cookie.
Fill in cookie with the same flood consistency icing.  Use a toothpick to direct the icing into any unfilled areas.
Use a flood consistency icing in a contrasting color to make a starburst shape in the center of the cookie.
Drag a tooth pick from the center of the cookie toward the outside (but not all the way to the edge).

Continue around the cookie until the desired design is achieved.
It should look something like this…
Now before this next step you need to let the icing dry for several hours or overnight.  The reason is, in a couple steps we’ll be adding some sprinkles to the stamen (the thing that sticks out from the center of the flower).  If your base coat is not dry, the sprinkles will stick all over the cookie, and not just on the stamen where they belong.  If you are really pressed for time (or just impatient) you could just let the cookie dry an hour or so, and then continue with the stamen, but not include sprinkles on the stamen at all.
Note:  The parts that stick out of the center of the hibiscus actually include the stigma and the stamen, but I’ll just use the word stamen for simplicity.
When base icing on the cookie is dry (or mostly dry if you’re not adding sprinkles), pipe a line of thick consistency icing (using a #2 tip) to form the stamen (as shown below).
With the same icing, add some thickness to the end of the stamen, and then pipe some small dots around the end (as shown).  I also added some white dots on top of the thicker end of the stamen (optional).
While the line and dots are still wet, hold the cookie over a paper plate (to catch the excess) and sprinkle some yellow non pareils sprinkles on the end of the stamen.
Finish the cookie by outlining in a thick consistency icing.
Once they are completely dry, these can make a gorgeous addition to any luau party.
Happy Decorating!

32 Responses to “{Cookie Decorating} How to make pretty hibiscus cookies”

Rach — August 13, 2010 at 9:28 am

You make it looks so easy! They are very pretty.

Jen @ Passion-for-Parties.com — August 13, 2010 at 9:33 am

I agree with Rach…you make it look incredibly easy! I'm typically a cake-decorating-kinda-girl, but I've been wanting to give cookies a try. I think with the help of your tutorial I just may be able to pull it off! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Pink Martini — August 13, 2010 at 10:51 am

These are really so pretty. I love them. :)

Sueños Encantados — August 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I love your cookies!!

Mary — August 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Thank you Glory!! Those are truly a masterpiece.

Flavia — August 13, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Love Love Love your cookies! Beautiful..
    I haven't taken the plunge on royal iced cookies, but one day I will. Meanwhile, I live vicariously through you, LOL.
    Thanks for sharing.

Nichcole — August 14, 2010 at 5:23 am

LOVE all of the Luau cookies (can I buy them for my DH's party???)

Now I am craving cookies

Tammy Robinson — August 14, 2010 at 6:09 am

I love all of your ideas. Those cookies are so cute. I love event planning too. I have a new blog about event planning http://www.eventsbytammy.blogspot.com and I would love your comments. Thanks!

Kirsten — August 14, 2010 at 6:27 am

So pretty! I don't know if I could bring myself to bite into it though…lol… too pretty :) Thanks for the great tutorial! Kirsten

Paula — August 14, 2010 at 7:24 am

These cookies are beautiful and you wrote such a great tutorial!

Leoni — August 15, 2010 at 1:24 am

I love the cookies, thank you for sharing on how to make them. Congrats on being featured on Amy Atlas's blog!

cheers,
    Leoni

Momza — August 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm

these look so yummy–my mouth is watering. So cool!

Little Miss Cupcakes — August 16, 2010 at 11:48 am

These look amazing, what a great how to!

Elizabeth — August 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm

These cookies are really quite amazing! I'm a new follower and I have really enjoyed roaming through your site. I can't wait to try some of the decorating ideas you have here! I wanted to let you know I have an award for you…actually three over at Sunny Bug. Congrats! ~Liz

Nicole @ Tradewind Tiaras — July 8, 2011 at 7:30 am

Those are the best hibiscus cookies I've ever seen!

Bridget — July 12, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Your emails always brighten up my day!

Creative Confections — August 14, 2011 at 5:54 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Creative Confections — August 14, 2011 at 5:55 am

I love your blog. I found you on facebook. I only make cake pops but would love to learn how to make cookies. Your cookies look fantastic.

Māhie's Parents — February 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm

How can i order some from you!

Laurie — April 24, 2012 at 9:36 am

Bella! All the four leaf clover cookies cutter are a little different… which brand did you use for your hibiscus flower?
    Lori @ purplesageoriginals.blobspot.com

Jenni — May 4, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thank you so much for your fantastic tutorial! My hibiscus cookies came out so cute, and my customer was very pleased.
    *I used a star cutter and rounded the points off with a pizza cutter*

Donna Bryan — January 31, 2013 at 4:25 am

hi i made your grass skirt, luau shirts, flip flop, and shell cookies. they look great and taste delish. is it okay to freeze the cookies for a few weeks

Becky — March 12, 2013 at 4:18 am

I just want to say, I LOVE your website. I look at it often and I use your cookies as inspiration for my own. On this Luau tutorial (which I’ve read before) I just realized you used a 4-leaf clover as a hibiscus cookie cutter. I’ve been searching for one for months and you just solved my problem! Thank you!

Vicky — March 22, 2013 at 11:43 pm

How early can you make these cookies before an event and have them still taste fresh?

Janet Rhodes — November 18, 2013 at 5:00 pm

OMG! These are beautiful and exactly what I want for a shower for my soon to be daughter-in-law. I have looked everywhere for a hibiscus cutter and now I can make one. You make it look so easy, and whereas I have never done these cookies before I have a friend who is a home ec teacher who is going to help. Kudos to you for a beautiful job, thanks for sharing your talent with us.

1. Pingback: Summer Cookie Fun | Diva Entertains Blog