Many of the delicious foods I associate with fall have one thing in common… fall spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice add that special fall touch to pies, cakes and breads. In addition to the wonderful flavor… spiced baked goods smell oh so good!
These Pumpkin Spice Cutout Cookies are a delicious variation of traditional roll-out sugar cookies, and are just perfect for fall!
I’ve made these cookies both with and without pumpkin, and they are delicious both ways! The first few times I made them without the pumpkin puree (see “notes” in recipe below) because I usually don’t like to open a whole can of pumpkin and just use a small amount. Without the pumpkin, the recipe produces a delicious spiced cookie. But I’ll have to say, I recently made the recipe with the addition of the pumpkin and I loved the cookies even more!
These cookies will remain fresh and delicious at least 5-7 days. Keep undecorated cookies sealed in an airtight container. Layer decorated cookies (after they’ve dried 8-12 hours) between waxed paper or parchment paper in an airtight container, or wrapped in cellophane bags (for gift giving).
When your cookies are baked and cooled, and you’re ready to decorate, make up a batch of Royal Icing.
Along with the royal icing recipe is a basic decorating tutorial, if you’ve never decorated cookies before.
Happy fall baking!
Pumpkin Spice Cutout Cookies
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated if possible
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar light or dark
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract best quality available
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- In a large bowl bowl, add flour, baking powder and spices. Stir with whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add both sugars and beat until fully combined and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla pumpkin and beat to combine.
- Scrap down the sides of your bowl with a spatula.
- While the mixer is running on low, add the flour mixture, slowly.
- Mix until all of the flour is incorporated, and the mixture begins to ball up and pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Dump out the dough onto a clean work surface, kneed in any extra bits of flour or dough, and divide the dough into two large balls. Place balls of dough in a plastic bag (or plastic wrap) flatten dough into large disks and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- When the dough has chilled, roll out onto lightly floured surface and cut out desired shapes.
- Bake cookies in a pre-heated, 350*F oven, on ungreased baking sheets 9-11 minutes, depending on the size of the cookies.