Cinnamon Sugar Pastry Twists
These Cinnamon Sugar Pastry Twists are an easy and delicious little treat that comes together quickly and are simply delicious!
These pretty little twists could be served as an appetizer, as a brunch item with coffee, or serve them along side a bowl of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce for a fancy (but super easy!) dessert.
The recipe starts with Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry and just a few simple ingredients, but you’ll be surprised how delicious and versatile they are!
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Pastry Twists ~
1. ) Thaw pastry as directed on the box (about 40 minutes) and carefully unfold onto a floured work surface.
2.) Brush one pastry with egg wash (as directed in recipe), then add a layer of cinnamon-sugar, pecans, and more cinnamon-sugar.
3.) Add egg wash to the second puff pastry sheet, and put the egg side down on top of the cinnamon-sugar pastry. Roll on top with a rolling pin to seal the two pastry sheets together. Cut into strips with a pizza cutter.
4.) Twist strips and press down ends onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Gently brush with egg wash and add more cinnamon-sugar. Bake as directed in recipe (above).
I created this recipe as part of my ongoing work for Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry as a member of their “Puff is Spark” panel.
Last month I shared these Turkey Pesto Appetizer Bites and asked you to share your ideas for using Puff Pastry. Over the next several months I’ll be bringing you a delicious and creative recipes using Puff Pastry and choosing my “top pick” from your suggestions from the previous month. In the spring, I will chose my favorite from the highlighted “top picks” and that reader will win a grand prize trip to travel to the Pepperidge Farm Headquarters!
My top pick from last month’s suggestions is from Rena, who said… “I love to make deli roll- layer turkey, corn beef, and pastrami with mayo and mustard on a sheet of puff pastry and roll up, brush with egg and bake! The deli makes a beautiful swirl pattern inside and its a real crowd-pleaser!”
So here’s your opportunity to chime in and share your original ideas for using Puff Pastry. Please share your ideas in the comment section of this blog post.
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar Pastry Twists
Cinnamon Sugar Pastry Twists
- 2 sheets Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry 1 package
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- powdered sugar optional
- Thaw puff pastry sheets according to package directions (about 40 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400*F
- Gently unfold the pastry sheets onto a floured work surface.
- In a small bowl beat the egg and water with a fork until combined. Brush one sheet of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto the pastry that has just had the egg wash added.
- Add the chopped pecans, then another tablespoon of cinnamon sugar, try to distribute evenly all over the pastry sheet.
- Brush the second sheet of puff pastry with egg wash, then put the egg side down on top of the pecan/cinnamon/sugar pastry. Use a rolling pin to roll on top of the pastry sheets and seal the two sheets together.
- Use a pizza cutter to slice the pastry into strips about 1 inch wide. You can make short strips (as pictured) or long (full sheet) size.
- Move the strips to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and twist twice, then press the ends down onto the baking sheet.
- Gently brush the twists with egg wash and top with the remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Bake one baking sheet at a time in a pre-heated 400*F oven for about 10-12 minutes. When they are golden brown and puffy (after 10-12 minutes), remove from oven and use tongs to flip over the twists, then return to the oven for another 2 minutes or so.
- Allow to cool slightly, then enjoy!
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.