Cookies and Cream Cutout Cookies
This recipe for Cookies and Cream Cutout Cookies is a fun and flavorful twist on traditional cutout sugar cookies.
If you love chocolate sandwich cookies… this recipe is for you!
These cookies are delicious on their own, and area also a perfect canvas to decorate with buttercream or royal icing.
I had fun decorating these shamrock shaped cookies very simply with buttercream this time, but I’ll definitely be using the recipe again and again for decorated cookies for any season.
This recipe was created in partnership with Sprouts Farmers Market.
PIN IT NOW to save for later!
This recipe starts with yummy chocolate sandwich cookies!
I grabbed my favorites from Sprouts Farmers Market, along with all the ingredients I needed for this recipe.
While at Sprouts, I picked up some natural food coloring (by Watkins) to play with, and I was able to create the exact color I wanted with these easy to use colors. This would be a great set to keep on hand if you are sensitive to food dyes, or simply want to use the most natural products, while still creating colorful baking projects!
I love shopping at Sprouts because I know I can find all of the baking staples I need… and I always find a few new snacks or ingredients to try too!
This Cookies and Cream Cutout Cookies recipe is based on my Perfect Sugar Cookie Recipe.
I decorated these cute shamrock cookies with buttercream this time (recipe below), but feel free to use my Royal Icing Recipe to create more intricate designs.
If you’re looking for a fun way to use up the rest of the Sprouts Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, here are a few delicious options…
Banana Nutella Trifle (with chocolate cookie crumble)
Cookies & Cream Cutout Cookies Recipe
Cookies & Cream Cutout Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup crushed chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs about 8 whole cookies
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 oz cream cheese 1/4 package
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- green food coloring I used Watkins natural food color
Make the cookies
- Add chocolate sandwich cookies to a large ziplock type bag and crush (with a rolling pin) until crumbs. Measure out crumbs, making sure to scrape the inside of the bag as needed to get all the bits. You do not need to remove the filling from the cookies.
- Add 3/4 cup crumbs into a large bowl with flour, then add baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add butter (cold, but cut into pieces) and blend until butter is smooth.
- Add sugar and blend until well combined and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and blend until fully incorporated.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour/crumb mixture.
- Blend until all ingredients are combined and the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Remove dough and roll out on a lightly floured work surface, or roll out between two sheets of plastic wrap (and then no flour is needed).
- Roll to dough to about 3/8" thick. Cutout desired shapes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat type liner.
- Chill entire baking sheet of cookies (in the fridge) while you heat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes, or until the top surface of the cookies not longer looks moist. Allow to cool a few minutes on the baking sheet, then move to a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add cream cheese and continue to blend until fully smooth.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and blend. Add salt and vanilla and continue to blend.
- Add second cup of powdered sugar and mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Add food coloring, as desired.
- Spread frosting onto fully cooled cookies, or add frosting to a piping bag and fill in the cookies with a tight zig-zag pattern (as shown).
PIN IT NOW to save for later!
Disclosure – I created this recipe in partnership with Sprouts Farmers Market. Partnering with brands I love allows me to provide you with high quality content at no cost to you. I only work with brands I use and love. All images, text and opinions are my own.