Simple Yogurt Parfaits

It’s a new year.  Many of us have big plans and aspirations for the year in front of us.  Certainly, I am no expert on diet or health… but I wholeheartedly believe that life without an occasional treat is no life at all!

Throughout the year, as I am busy making cookies, cupcakes and other sweets, I enjoy sharing those treats with family and friends.  A batch of cupcakes disappears quite quickly when my husband takes them to work!   And then, I can continue doing what I love… baking and creating, without a full batch of treats sitting around the house.

If you are working on adjusting your eating habits a bit, beautiful presentation can add to the appeal of healthy food choices.  A beautiful table setting, pretty dishes, or a fancy little garnish can add to the enjoyment of any meal.

Recently, I’ve been enjoying simple yogurt parfaits for breakfast, or as an afternoon snack.  The combination of creamy yogurt, fresh fruit, and crunchy toppings, come together to create an easy, and delicious “treat”.

Simple Yogurt Parfait

Creamy yogurt, layered with fresh fruit and crunchy toppings create a delicious and healthy treat.

Ingredients:

Vanilla yogurt

Topping suggestions-
granola (storebought or homemade)
raw nuts (sliced almonds or walnuts are my favorites)
toasted coconut
raisins
dried cranberries
diced dates
banana
kiwi
strawberries
blueberries
raspberries
blackberries
pomegrante seeds
peach

Directions:

Fill a bowl with yogurt and top with fresh fruit of your choice, granola, and/or nuts.

If you'd like to prepare the parfaits ahead of time, layer the fruit and yogurt and refrigerate (up to one day), then add the granola (and/or nuts) right before serving.

Note- I like to mix plain greek yogurt with (sweetened) vanilla yogurt to reduce the sugar a bit.

Experiment with different combinations of fruits, nuts and granola.

If you’d like to make your own granola to add to your parfait, here are a few delicious looking options…

Homemade Granola, from Ina Garten

Apple Cinnamon Granola, from Two Peas and Their Pod

Lemon Ginger Granola, from Haniela’s

Prop note-  The dishes (and spoons) shown are a set from Pier 1 (also available from Bed Bath and Beyond, I believe).

20 Responses to “Simple Yogurt Parfaits”

Ruzu — January 7, 2013 at 12:24 am

wow this looks awesome!!! love the quality of the fruits

Angela @ the fairy bread chronicles — January 7, 2013 at 12:28 am

yogurt parfaits would have to be my favourite breakfast ever! thanks for posting this, it makes eating healthily look so appealing! I have been known to eat yogurts parfaits for dinner on occasion too!

Kelly — January 7, 2013 at 2:04 am

I love your pictures. They all look fantastic!

Amy — January 7, 2013 at 2:26 am

I love parfaits, and those look so tasty!

Elizabeth Ann — January 7, 2013 at 4:17 am

I had this for breakfast this MORNING! :-)

Aikko @ Bake Happy — January 7, 2013 at 5:27 am

I definitely need something healthy right now :) The fact that it’s really easy to make is a bonus treat. Thanks for sharing, Glory! :)

Lea Binta — January 7, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Sometimes I forget how delicious this is – thanks for reminding me!

Pilar. Cook and Spoon — January 7, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I love this individual desserts. They are healthy, look realyy beatiful and are so delicious! Happy New Year.

Julie Gallagher — January 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm

the photos are lovely, who knew something so healthy could look so yummy!

karen — January 7, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I love yogurt parfaits. I thought that is a “Glorious Treat”! thanks for reminding me it’s time to revisit an old favorite.

Karen — January 7, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Sounds yummy! I also use plain yogurt. To sweeten it, I add some of the toddler mashed fruit such as ‘Happy Tot’ Banana, peach & mango fruit pouch

Lizy b — January 8, 2013 at 4:46 am

These are gorgeous enough that I could even convince the munchkins to try them!!

Margo, Thrift at Home — January 14, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I like yogurt and granola in hot weather. THese look very pretty, but I go for hot tea and a scone or cheese toast over cold things. I usually use pomegrate arils in salads only – I want to remember to try them in yogurt or hot cereal. THanks for the idea.

Mariana — January 16, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I love these bowls! Where did you get them??

• Glory replied: — January 28th, 2013 @ 3:19 am

The bowls are either from Pier 1, or Bed, Bath and Beyond. I’ve gotten some small dishes at both places, and can’t remember for sure which place I bought these. =)

Carley B — February 17, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Hey! Where did you get the dishes the parfait was in? Gorgeous!

• Glory replied: — February 17th, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

The little dishes are from Pier 1, and also available from Bed, Bath and Beyond.
      Happy shopping!

Lauren — April 21, 2013 at 3:51 am

What type of granola did you use?

Bee Dumay — April 23, 2013 at 12:36 am

Breakfast foods vary widely from place to place, but often include a carbohydrate such as grains or cereals, fruit and/or vegetables, a protein food such as eggs, meat or fish, and a beverage such as tea, coffee or fruit juice. Coffee, tea, juice, breakfast cereals, pancakes, sausages, bacon, sweet breads, fresh fruit, vegetables, eggs, mushrooms, baked beans, muffins, crumpets and toast with butter or margarine and/or jam or marmalade are common examples of breakfast foods, though a large range of preparations and ingredients are associated with breakfast globally.;

All the best to you

1. Pingback: 22 Awesome Dessert Alternatives You Can Make With Yogurt | Pretty Witchy