Joyful Christmas Cookies

Cookies and photo by Sweet Sugar Belle

Today I have a very special guest post from my good friend, Callye, also known as Sweet Sugar Belle.  Callye always amazes me with her creativity, and she has a special talent for envisioning simple cookie cutter shapes as new and creative designs!  Callye recently created this amazingly sweet set of “Joy” cookies, and is sharing them us today!  I just love everything about this beautiful platter of cookies…. the colors, the adorable snowmen, and especially the beautiful and creative “Joy” cookies!

Now sit back and enjoy a peek into the creative mind of Sweet Sugar Belle

****************************************************************************************

Hello Glorious Treats readers!

Joy cookies are very special to me because they remind me of my friend Glory and her precious daughter Joy.  I make them every holiday season and you can too.  All you need is a simple stocking cutter.

Use the stocking to piece together the base.

Bake and let cool. It’s important to let pieced cookies cool before moving them so that they don’t break at the seams.

Use royal icing to flood and decorate as desired.  This tip will help you to perfectly print “JOY” on the cookie.

For a little dimension, use a smaller cookie as the “O” and mix with other fun cookies like holly leaves and creative snowmen.  I also used this idea to create these “JOY” cookies!  For the snowflake cookies, I used inspiration from these pretty snowflakes by Ali Bee’s Bakeshop.

I hope you spend this holiday season baking pretty cookies for the ones you love!  Happy baking, cookie friends!

Thanks again Callye!

Be sure to peek in on Callye over on her beautiful site, Sweet Sugar Belle.   She is currently in the middle of an incredible series of cookies for the 12 days of Christmas, and each post is simply breathtaking!

39 Responses to “Joyful Christmas Cookies”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 10, 2012 at 2:40 am

Awww!! I love it! So pretty :)

Sue — December 10, 2012 at 2:58 am

These cookies are so darling! I love the colors and the snowman scarf:)

Joy Adams — December 10, 2012 at 3:04 am

Love these. Espeicially since my name is Joy too.

• Glory replied: — December 10th, 2012 @ 3:22 am

Thought you might like these! I’ll have to make you some!

Sweetsugarbelle — December 10, 2012 at 5:24 am

Awe! Auntie Joy!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — December 10, 2012 at 10:51 am

These are the cutest holiday cookies ever! I especially love the snowmen. :)

Ashley — December 10, 2012 at 11:35 am

You always make the most beautiful cookies! I love the colors and the fun of these. Fantastic job as always.

Tiffany — December 10, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Can I ask how, do you get the thicker icing? Same recipe just less water?
    They are gorgeous- love them!!

• Glory replied: — December 10th, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

Yes, with royal icing you are in control of how thick or thin you make it. For the areas that yo want the icing to flow and lay flat (usually the base of th cookie), then thin the icing to about the consistency of corn syrup. For areas where you want the icing to keep some body, use less water, and keep your icing about the consistency of traditional toothpaste. Hope this helps!
      Happy decorating!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — December 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I love Callye from Sweet Sugarbelle! She is so talented!!

marla — December 10, 2012 at 1:20 pm

These are beautiful cookies!!! Great guest post :)

The Bearfoot Baker — December 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Oh what FUN!!! I love how you make the JOY out of stockings! :)

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — December 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I love her work!

Ali Bee's Bake Shop — December 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE!! So creative and the colors are perfect! And I like the snowflakes too. ;)

Sandra — December 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Now that is what I call creative!

Melissa B — December 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I love these, the joy cookies are so pretty! Love the snowmen too!

Carrie's Creations — December 10, 2012 at 4:14 pm

so cute and creative! and i just love the colors!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — December 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I love that Callye used 2 stockings for this!! Genius that girl is!

Paula — December 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm

So pretty, so creative (love the Joy cookie) and love the colours.

JulieD — December 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I’m in love!! So lucky to know both of you & call you my friends…you’re both amazingly talented!!

tijuana smith (po' man meals) — December 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm

wow. truly impressive and beautiful to look at. perfect for the holidays! i wish i could make these!

What's for dessert? — December 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Cookies are so pretty! Little snowflakes are so cute!

Maryann - Cookie Artisan — December 11, 2012 at 4:05 am

Seriously adorable set of cookies! And SERIOUSLY – how does she come up with those incredible ideas – two stockings put together to spell JOY – oh my gosh! GENIUS!

jakie — December 11, 2012 at 6:35 am

Wow these are amazing. You have a true talent! Was wondering where you purchase your glittery dust on the cookies? Thank you

• Glory replied: — December 11th, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

The glitter is called Disco Dust and is available on-line from several shops, including Karenscookies.net

helen — December 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm

So so cute. May have to try….someday.

fabiola — December 11, 2012 at 6:53 pm

all is beautifulllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

thansk so much!!!

Valentina — December 11, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Hi Glory,

You and your blog are awesome!
    Thaks for share the beautiful things you do, from your recipes to your parties and crafts.
    I’m just an amateur baker happy to learn and enjoy from people like you.

Melissa — December 11, 2012 at 7:25 pm

These are GORGEOUS! Love the colors!

Flor — December 11, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Beautiful! But I want to know how to “glue” the two sections together? Sometimes when I do that my cookies end up breaking from that section :( What’s the secret?!? :)

• Glory replied: — December 11th, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

As long as you nest the dough pieces nice and closely together, they will bake together just fine. You will need to be more gentle with them, especially right from the oven. Once covered in royal icing, the icing will help hold them togehter too.

Lorne Marr — December 13, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Well I was feeling proud, when I decorated cookies for my kids in the themes of Star Wars of Futurama, but THIS is something different. It really looks great, but I am sad at the same time, because I know that I will never be able to make something like this, my hands are shaking too much to make such precise lines.

melissa — December 9, 2013 at 1:19 am

Love ur blog and I admire your work. How do u get ur icing so Shiney and Vibrant? Your cookies are so awesome!

• Glory replied: — December 9th, 2013 @ 2:41 am

Thanks Melissa! These cookies have a bit of Disco Dust added on top, you can find disco dust at Karenscookies.net

Melissa — December 9, 2013 at 1:32 am

Absolutely beautiful.

Tricia Z — December 9, 2013 at 5:19 am

Beautiful cookies! The joy design is so clever!!

Karlijn — December 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Oh my god these are amazing. When I save up some money I will invest in some nice decorating items. This year I’ll do sugar chirstmas cookies without icing! Can’t wait for next year :)!

Love.

Maria — November 14, 2014 at 5:02 am

after preparing royal icing, and it is ready to be used, will the consistence change on ethe course of waiting the thick icing to harden/settle before flooding it with thinner icing? what is the best way in keeping the icing in its best form while waiting for the design to settle? thanks!

1. Pingback: Kerstkoekjes: vrolijke recepten op een rij - Like & Love (it!)