Thanksgiving Cookies

As many of us (in the U.S.) spend the next few days shopping, cooking and eating;  I hope that we are each able to take a few moments this week to reflect on the pretty amazing list of things in our lives to be thankful for.  In a culture that is built on always wanting more, let’s push back for a moment and assess the incredible abundance that is present in most of our lives.

This week I plan to step away from the computer, put away my phone, and focus on the beautiful little details of real life.  I want to relish in the pleasure of cooking… not to take photos of it, but to simply feed my family delicious food.  I’m going to embrace the joy of doing dishes… being thankful for dishes to wash, warm water to clean them with, and an able body with which to work.

I hope you are able to find a long list of things this week to be thankful for as well.

This set of cookies was made with my Gingerbread Cookie Recipe, and decorated with Royal Icing.

*Supply note- Assorted plaque shaped cutters from Copper Gifts, with the exception of the “give thanks” shape, which was a gift from a friend.

“Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”

Psalm 107:1

25 Responses to “Thanksgiving Cookies”

Sue {munchkin munchies] — November 19, 2012 at 1:16 am

Glory, I’m thankful for your post:) We should each be able to list an abundance of blessings! Enjoy this time of Thanksgiving with your family:) Your cookies are BEAUTIFUL!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter — November 19, 2012 at 2:37 am

These are so pretty! What a great addition to any Thanksgiving celebration! Happy Thanksgiving! Angie xo

Grace @ Grace Dishes — November 19, 2012 at 2:52 am

I love the idea of writing positive messages on cookies! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

Joy Adams — November 19, 2012 at 3:08 am

Such a beautiful post and a great idea.

ThisBakerGirlBlogs — November 19, 2012 at 7:29 am

Such an awesome idea! :)

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — November 19, 2012 at 1:34 pm

so cute!

Claudia — November 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

gorgeous!!! have a wonderful Thanksgiving week!

TriciaZ — November 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Love this post, Glory <3 Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

CookieD-oh — November 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm

What a beautiful ( and timely) reminder! I think we forget that even when our circumstances are not ideal, we still have much to be thankful for!

Nancy Paine — November 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Glory, my daughter and I were just talking about this, about finding thanksgiving in everyday tasks. I told her when she and her brother were little, I focused on their cute little clothes in bright colors and patterns, clean and fresh as I hung and folded them, vs. the endless laundry with babies. She shared in her piles of homework that she is thankful for being challenged so she is ready for college in a couple years. Happy Thanksgiving, to you and yours!

Paula — November 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I really love your collection.

Carola Jamett — November 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Gracias. Aunque aquí en Chile no celebramos Thanks Giving, me uno a la acción de gracias, sobre todo para agradecer por tener energía y salud para cocinar , que es lo que más me gusta hacer. I love to be a Chef, too.. .

Edible Artists Network — November 19, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I love these! Thanks for sharing!

michelle — November 20, 2012 at 1:52 am

Thank you for sharing yourself and your talent in your blog!

Veronica@Downcakerylane — November 20, 2012 at 2:04 am

Thank you for the beautiful post. I usually hate doing the dishes…but you’re right- in some parts of the world, food supplies are low and clean water is scarce. We have so much to be grateful for. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving day :)

Sherri D. — November 20, 2012 at 2:39 am

So MUCH to be thankful for here! Thanking you for sharing your thankful heart!

JulieD — November 20, 2012 at 4:12 am

Beautiful cookies, Glory!! And good message…be thankful for what you have!! Hope you have and wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!! xoxo

The Bearfoot Baker — November 20, 2012 at 11:42 am

Happy Thanksgiving! Love this post and your cookies!

Cecilia — November 20, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Those are very elegant and my favorite ones are the leaves with the swirls. Great work! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Love you!

rebecca — November 22, 2012 at 11:17 am

i was googling thanksgiving images and your cookies showed up, amidst a bunch of turkeys, and i had to stop by and say how beautiful they are. so wonderful.

Cheers a Party! — November 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm

These cookies are fabulous! And yes, there is always something (many things) to be thankful for!

Hanielas — November 24, 2012 at 12:26 pm

ooh these are so pretty. I need to get my hand on these cutter, they are so pretty looking. Love the colors. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Michelle — November 29, 2012 at 1:51 am

Gloria, I’ve been a long-time fan of your blog! Can you please share the color shades you used for the cookies? I just love the tones and now inspired to make Christmas cookies. Thank you for sharing!

• Glory replied: — November 29th, 2012 @ 2:33 am

Hi Michelle, Thanks! I’m sorry, I didn’t keep track of the color combos. I only use Americolor gel colors. The colors that I think I used for these are egg yellow, warm brown, ivory, orange, and maroon. Hope that helps a bit.

Sarah — November 29, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I made my first batch of these cookies today and they were amazing! Thank you for another great recipe.