Jeweled Pumpkin Cookies

As we head toward the weekend I’ll leave you with one final Halloween cookie idea.

Last year I made some pretty Jeweled Pumpkins for decorations, and this year I thought it would be fun to turn them into cookies!

If you’d like to make some cookies like these you’ll need…

A batch of cookies made from my Sugar Cookie Recipe, and a batch of Royal Icing.

Prepare one bag of orange icing in a medium/flood consistency.  One bag of brown, thick/piping consistency icing, and one bag of black, thick/piping consistency icing.

Outline and flood segments of the pumpkins with orange, doing every other segment first.  After those areas have set (about 1 hour), come back in and flood the other segments (as I did with THESE pumpkins and is shown step by step on Sweet Sugar Belle).

Add the pumpkin stem with brown icing, using a zig-zag to create some texture.

When the pumpkins are totally dry (about 8 hours), add black dots in a swirl pattern (of your choice).  While the black icing is still wet, sprinkle with disco dust (as shown) or white sanding sugar.

Prop note- Orange candle holders from glassybaby.

For more fall and Halloween baking and craft ideas, easily browse my Halloween posts and Fall posts.

24 Responses to “Jeweled Pumpkin Cookies”

hani — October 25, 2012 at 10:51 pm

These are really cute. Love the presentation

Karly — October 25, 2012 at 11:08 pm

So cute!

Dee — October 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Too pretty to eat.

Tammy — October 25, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hi their I recently liked your site on Facebook & think it is absolutely FABULOUS!
    You are an inspiration.
    By the way the Halloween cookies are stunning!!!
    Cheers. Tammy : )

Elisa — October 25, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Wow. Absolutely stunning.

Sandra Licher — October 26, 2012 at 12:18 am

They are gorgeous and so are your bejeweled pumpkins from last year! Please don’t take this as a criticism or an insult but how do these cookies taste? I want to get into making these types of cookies as they are wonderful for gifts and entertaining and it will be an investment in tools and time to learn but I would be really disappointed if after all the beauty they didn’t taste beautiful too.
    I have no talent or experience in this area other than being a cookie lover and baker for years but not a cookie decorator. Any suggestions as to where to begin or a book(s) recommendation would be great for a beginner….me! LOL! Thank you so much…your site is so inspiring! Also, what is your background in this area? Your work looks very professional.

• Glory replied: — October 26th, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

Hi Sandra, Baking and cookie decorating can be such a fun and rewarding hobby, and it’s usually easy to find people (family and friends) who are happy to sample your “projects”. Of course any food comes down to personal preference. I think the cookie recipe I use is very delicious. The recipe is here, http://www.glorioustreats.com/2010/03/making-sugar-cookies-recipe-and-tips.html
      The cookies are sweet (but not too sweet) and buttery. Be sure to use the highest quality ingredients you can, especially good quality vanilla.
      Once you move to the decorating portion, read through a few of my cookie decorating posts, http://www.glorioustreats.com/category/cookie-decorating and I think you will get a sense of different techniques and ideas to try. Cookie decorating takes some practice. Be patient with yourself. Your cookies will likely not look exactly like mine on your first try.
      You can read more about me and my background here, http://www.glorioustreats.com/about
      Happy baking!

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — October 26, 2012 at 12:42 am

Beautiful!

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more — October 26, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I love how those turned out, so pretty!

Brantcookies — October 26, 2012 at 12:38 pm

They are just beautiful, too pretty to eat, even your ribbon is swirly & beautiful! Have a great fall weekend!

Cecilia Midgette — October 26, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Hello friend! I really love how these turned out! You did great work on the cookies and the photo shoot. You can tell Sandra (from the comment above) that I highly recommend the cookies because they are very delicious! Love you!

• Glory replied: — October 26th, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

Thanks! Love you too!

Sue {munchkin munchies} — October 27, 2012 at 7:18 am

Love your fancy pumpkin cookies, Glory!

The Bearfoot Baker — October 28, 2012 at 12:16 am

Beautiful! I love how elegant they are:)

Lizy b — October 28, 2012 at 2:26 am

so beautiful and elegant!!! Love them! (see you soon!)

• Glory replied: — October 28th, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

Thanks Lizy! I know, can you believe we get to meet!! I’m so excited!! And I just popped over to your blog, looking for a photo of you so I have something to go off of =) and your new site design is beautiful!!! See you very soon!!

suzanne Perazzini — October 28, 2012 at 6:46 am

You are so talented. They are gorgeous.

• Glory replied: — October 28th, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

Thanks so much for your sweet comment Suzanne!

sofia — October 29, 2012 at 11:47 am

Ciao, your ideas are always so nice!

Sarah hosni — November 5, 2012 at 6:16 am

Lovely:) I admire so much your amazing talent, you made me obsessed with baking and especially sugar cookies as i have 2 toddlers and we enjoy so much baking and decorating:) my problem is that at the end they only eat the plain cookies and leave all the lovely decorated ones, they find royal icing too hard they don’t like it :( is there a solution.

• Glory replied: — November 9th, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

Certainly personal taste varies quite a bit. In general, I’m not sure this kind of cookie would appeal to toddlers. Feel free to try this simple butter frosting, http://www.glorioustreats.com/2011/12/cookie-decorating-kits-for-kids-and-easy-butter-frosting-recipe.html
      Also, it depends on the brand of meringue powder you’re using how hard the finished royal icing is. It should not be rock hard. If you find it too hard, add 1 tablespoon of corn syrup to the icing, and mix in well. This will help a bit.

Asma — November 8, 2012 at 1:44 am

How glorious, I love the Jeweled Pumpkins!

Baking Friends Forever — January 25, 2014 at 11:53 am

These are so delicious and stylish!

1. Pingback: Repasando la semana... | Fiestafacil, Halloween | Fiestafacil Blog