Dirt, Worms and Dinosaurs (yes, that’s a dessert!)

Not too many years ago when someone said they had an “internet friend”, people might have pictured a hermit who posted a 20 year old photo of themself online in order to find someone to chat with.

Now… well, I hope things have changed because half of my friends are “internet friends!”

And not only do I have internet friends… so do my kids!  (don’t freak out… keep reading)

My “internet friend” (and real life friend) Callye and I have spent many a late night chatting via video skype.  Often, as we’re chatting, little people in her house (cute kids) run over to the computer and say “where’s your girls”.  More than once, Callye and my conversation has been (sweetly) interrupted with one of her cute kids, who want to chat with my kids (or vice versa).  So very quickly the skype conversation shifts from the world issues Callye and I were discussing (such as the pretty new cakes stands we just bought) to “I can roar like a dinosaur”, and “look at my Hello Kitty shirt”.  It’s pretty fun to see our kids enjoy a technology that didn’t even exist when I was 6!

This week, Callye’s middle kiddo, Caleb, is turning 6.  As much as we would have loved to share in the birthday celebration in person… the states of Arizona and New Mexico are in our way!  But… since we are internet friends after all… we thought we could still celebrate over the computer!

Caleb loves dinosaurs, so I knew a treat in his honor needed to include dinos.

Here’s a simple birthday treat from my girls to their friend Caleb…

I prepared a long standing kid favorite “worms and dirt”, added chocolate rocks and some toy dinosaurs.  Super simple, super yummy.

All you need to make these treats is….

Chocolate pudding

Oreo cookies, crushed (put Oreos in a large plastic bag, and whack them with a rolling pin)

Gummy worms (if desired)

Chocolate rocks (I bought these at my local grocery store)

Toy dinosaurs

Directions:

Prepare the chocolate pudding (as directed by the package).

Put a layer of crushed oreos in the bottom of your serving dishes.  Add a layer of pudding.

Add another layer of crushed oreos, lay a gummy worm in the “dirt” if desired.  Add more pudding.  Top with crushed oreos.

Add a few chocolate rocks, and a dinosaur toy.

(Note- Technically the dinosaur toys may or may not be food safe.  For good measure I rinsed them off in hot soapy water).

My girls and I were feeling a little sad that we were making a special dessert that Caleb would not really be able to eat… but then I remembered that his mommy is the most amazing cookie decorator around, so I knew he would have some very special treats of his own!

Check out the fun Dinosaur Cookies Caleb’s mommy, also know as Sweet Sugar Belle, made.

And another “internet friend”  (and real friend) wanted to celebrate cross country with us, Lisa of the Bearfoot Baker made these special Dinosaur Cookies for Caleb.

Happy birthday sweet Caleb!

34 Responses to “Dirt, Worms and Dinosaurs (yes, that’s a dessert!)”

sweetsugarbelle — August 20, 2012 at 2:43 am

I love you! I really do! These are soooooooooooooooooooooooo fun! Cannto wait to show little C! XOXOXOXO

• Glory replied: — August 20th, 2012 @ 2:56 am

LOVE you tons! And my girls said that when you all come to visit someday, we’ll make these for Caleb for real! =)

The BearFoot Baker — August 20, 2012 at 2:46 am

These are PERFECT Glory! I love the dirt desserts! I never would have thought to decorate them. You are a “Dessert Artist” and I am glad we are internet friends!

PS- Happy Birthday Caleb!!

• Glory replied: — August 20th, 2012 @ 2:57 am

Thanks so much Lisa! I’m glad we’re internet friends, and real-life friends! =)

Sara — August 20, 2012 at 3:03 am

It’s not weird at all, it’s kinda like almost having pen-pals, back-in-the-day. Super cute treats, they look yummy! :)

Janine (sugarkissed.net) — August 20, 2012 at 3:41 am

Layers of Oreos in my chocolate pudding? Yes, please! And with the extras I can make those Oreo truffle pops I’ve been hearing so much about. Who knew Oreos were so versatile! Thanks for the delicious idea for jazzing up my boring pudding.

IdaBaker — August 20, 2012 at 8:00 am

I have never seen chocolate rocks at the local store. Is it with the bakery stuff? :)

• Glory replied: — August 20th, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

You might just have to do a little searching in your town. One of my local stores sells them in a bulk food/candy section. You might try somewhere like World Market if your grocery store doesn’t sell them. And of course I’m sure there are lots of places to buy them online.

susie — August 20, 2012 at 11:47 am

Very Cool….my kids think they missed out on all this cool stuff…maybe I could make these for my son’s 23rd?

• Glory replied: — August 20th, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

Don’t worry Susie, my mom was a awesome homemaker, but she never made these either! The first time I had it was at a friends house when I was 16. =)

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — August 20, 2012 at 11:56 am

oh those are so fun, and yummy sounding too!

Jaclyn — August 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm

So adorable! I used to love these desserts growing up. The chocolate rocks addition is a great idea, so fun!

shelly (cookies and cups) — August 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

How adorable! I love these and know my kids would too :)

Joy Adams — August 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Very cute and simple too. I love being reminded that not all fun deserts need to be complicated =)

Bellenza Bistro — August 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Thankfully there are cute little toys out there that can serve as party decorations and cake/cupcake toppers when needed!

Faye — August 20, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Oh wow, I would love to have these cakes for my birthday – they’re super cute and probably achievable even for my limited culinary skills!
    Faye x

JulieD — August 20, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Omgosh, so cute!! And what a sweet thing you did for Callye and Caleb.

Paula — August 20, 2012 at 7:53 pm

What a sweet and deliciously thoughtful treat you made for little Caleb’s birthday!

The Partiologist — August 20, 2012 at 8:54 pm

How incredibly cute – such a fun idea for any dino party! I’m sure Caleb was thrilled with the virtual treat! :)

Suzanne Perazzini — August 20, 2012 at 11:17 pm

They look so much like real dirt and stones. How clever!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 21, 2012 at 12:47 am

So fun! I looove this idea!

Vera Zecevic – Cupcakes Garden — August 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

I think that dinosaurs and chocolate is perfect kids combination ! Really funny treat!

Alex — August 24, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I’ll be doing that for my nephew when he comes over! :D

alebabka.blogspot.com — February 27, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I found you on Pinterest. Your website is wonderful. You are an inspiration to me! thank you

frases divertidas para convite de casamento — June 8, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I constantly emailed this weblog post page to all my friends, because if like to read
    it then my friends will too.

Ms. Margie — August 26, 2013 at 2:06 am

Lovely idea! Next year I am planning a pirates and mermaids birthday party for my son and daughter. They are three years and eleven months apart. Have you ever baked anything with a nautical theme?

Courtney — October 3, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Love this idea!! I will be making them at my sons dino birthday party this weekend!! Thanks!

1. Pingback: Dinosaur Face Cookies

2. Pingback: 10 Fun Things for the Week of August 26 « Ten Fun Things

3. Pingback: Festejando com os dinossauros! | Let's Party Blog

4. Pingback: Escuela Infantil GRANVIA Vistahermosa » Archivo del weblog » 5 postres fáciles para comer con cuchara

5. Pingback: 5 postres fáciles para comer con cuchara | My CMS

6. Pingback: 5 postres fáciles para comer con cuchara

7. Pingback: How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? - Story Time Activities - My Joy-Filled Life