4th of July Star Cookies

When you’re a cookie decorator, any holiday is a great reason to make some fun cookies!  For the upcoming 4th of July holiday, Sweet Sugar Belle challenged some of her cookie friends (including me) to make a festive treat using a star shaped cookie cutter.  I wanted to keep them as simple as possible, but still cute  =)  With just four bags of icing, and a little creativity, I created several fun designs perfect for celebrating Independence Day!

One of my favorite, super simple designs was the star cutout cookies.  Using a scalloped circle cookie cutter, and a mini star cutter I made a fun cutout cookie that would be great to add some variety to a platter of star cookies.

To get started, you’ll need a batch of cookies using of my Sugar Cookie Recipe.

When you’re ready to decorate you’ll need a batch of Royal Icing.

How to Decorate Easy Cutout Star Cookies

1.  Outline the outside edge of the cookie, as well as the edge of the star cut-out.    Allow this outlining to dry 1-2 hours.

2.  When the outside border has fully set (1-2 hours), fill in the cookie with white icing.

3.  While the white icing is still wet, add dots or stripes to finish the design.

Notes-

I used only one consistency of icing for each color.  This is what I would call a “medium consistency” icing.  Thick enough to hold it’s shape around the outside edge, but thin enough that it will settle to a smooth surface.  When making this icing, use a spoon to draw a line through the bowl of icing… it should take about 15 seconds (give or take a couple) to fill in the line your spoon made.

I used a #1.5 PME tip for each color.  A #2 tip would be the closest alternative.

In addition to the fun cut-out cookie design, I played around with lots of other simple designs using a star cutter.  I did a few double-decker cookies (a la Bake at 350), in addition to some cute, plain and simple mini stars.

Now here’s the really fun part!  I’m not the only one who made star shaped treats today… 20 of my super talented friends did too!  Take a look…

Such an amazing collection, isn’t it?  I love the variety of designs, all from one simple shape!  Please take some time and visit the sites listed below to find the full tutorials for the gorgeous cookies above.

1. Strawberry Shortcake on a Stick, The Decorated Cookie
  2. Patriotic Lace Cookies , My Little Bakery
  3. Independence Day Parade Cookies, Jill FCS
  4. Old Fashioned 4th of July, Vicki’s Sweet Treats
  5. Light up the Fourth Cookies, The Partiologist
  6. Declaration of Independence Cookie, Vanilla Bean Baker
  7. Badge of Liberty Cookies, Lila Loa
  8. Red, White & Blue Star Cookie Towers, Bake at 350
  9. 4th of July Firecracker Cookies, Klickitat Street
  10. Star Cut-out Cookies, Glorious Treats (You’re already here!)
  11. Cookie “Pledge”, Lizy B Bakes
  12. Star-Shaped Krispie Treats, Cookies and Cups
  13. Easy Star Cupcake Toppers, Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
  14. Rustic 4th of July Galletes, Haniela’s
  15. Patriotic Cookie Wreath, Sweetopia
  16. Patriotic River Rafter, Ali-Bee’s Bake Shop
  17. Funny Fox Cookies, The Bearfoot Baker
  18. Quilted Cookie Stars, Cookie Crazie
  19. Gimme Your John Hancock Stars, Life’s a Batch
  20. Patriotic Cookie Stir Sticks, The Cookie Artisan
  21. Patriotic Floral Stars, SweetSugarBelle

Thanks so much Callye for organizing such a fun project!

33 Responses to “4th of July Star Cookies”

Haniela — June 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

These are so adorable! I love the tri color border, it is perfect.

Callye, thank you for organizing such fun Starry Event

ellenbcookery — June 27, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I love the colours of the American flag, but I love that you used the different hues of the same colours. It just makes the cookies stand out and I always like different

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 27, 2012 at 12:33 pm

These are so adorable! Your cookies are always perfect!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — June 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm

oh I love the way you used softer colours, so pretty!

The Partiologist — June 27, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Love the soft blue on these cookies! And the little cutouts are such a cute touch!

The BearFoot Baker — June 27, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I love these Glory!! The different designs are perfect and reflect your impeccable style. You always e inspired me.

Cookbook Queen — June 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Adorable!! I love the round ones with stripes the best. Your work is always so neat and perfectly piped!!

CookieCraziePam — June 27, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Such simple cute patriotic cookies, Glory. :)

bridget {bake at 350} — June 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I love, love, love your dots and stripes and cut-outs! So cute!!!

Lizy B — June 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm

So beautiful!! Love the lighter blue color too!

Heather — June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I’m so happy that I found your blog…you are amazing, I’m excited to jump in and try some of your recipes.

Ashli — June 27, 2012 at 6:22 pm

You are sooo creative! :)

meaghan (the decorated cookie) — June 27, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Best color combination ever! LOVE these. I’m following you around all 20 sites now saying exactly what you say because everyone is a freakin’ genius.

Marian (Sweetopia) — June 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm

So pretty! You never fail to impress, Glory! I love the colors and photographs – stunning!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 27, 2012 at 9:12 pm

so patriotic! love it!

Nadia — June 28, 2012 at 12:30 am

I love your creations! Adorable!

Maryann - Cookie Artisan — June 28, 2012 at 12:47 am

Oh Glory – these are so lovely and I love the softer shade of blue – so very Glorious! I know these will inspire many of your readers to make some great cookies for their July 4th celebrations!

Jodie — June 28, 2012 at 2:54 am

These are adorable! I love all these cookies!

Lindy@itsybitsypaper — June 28, 2012 at 6:00 pm

You are so talented! I love how bright and festive these cookies turned out. Great job. I hope you’ll add these to my Patriotic Project Parade. I would love to see them there.

Cecilia Midgette — June 29, 2012 at 8:37 pm

These are super cute and they look pretty easy to make to. Unfortunately, for me and my family, I do not like to make cookies. But, I have a great friend who does! Love you!

JulieD — July 1, 2012 at 6:06 am

Love love these! They are so cute, Glory! I wish I had a dozen of these right now. :)

Deborah — July 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Beautiful cookies Glory. I love the soft blue you chose.

Laura — July 4, 2012 at 2:30 pm

WoW, such a great cookie decorator. WHAT a clever idea and they must have been fun to make too!

I’ve rustled up patriotic oreos – oreos dipped in white chocolate and covered in funfetti. I know, wicked. But terribly good!

laura x

Paula — July 10, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I have to apologize for being so late to comment on your cookies for this link-up party. I do think that they are adorable and your polka-dot and stripe work is great. The star cut-out is a great idea (I must remember that at Christmas ) and I love that you double-layered some of the cookies ;) Two treats in one…you can’t get any better than that ;)

1. Pingback: Patriotic Krispie Treats

2. Pingback: 20+ Ways to Use a Star Cutter

3. Pingback: Gimme-Your-John-Hancock Star Cookies. | Life's a Batch

4. Pingback: Fox Face Cookie..Your a Star!

5. Pingback: How to Make a 4th of July Star Cookie Wreath | Sweetopia

6. Pingback: 4th of July: 15 Patriotic Treats

7. Pingback: Holiday Love: Fourth of July | I'm Inkpressed

8. Pingback: Petits Biscuits Pastels {glaçage royal} « Lilie Bakery

9. Pingback: Wanna Throw a 4th of July Party?