Shamrock Cut-Out Cupcakes
Earlier this year I made some cute Heart Cut-Out Cupcakes. I’ve been waiting for another opportunity to try this simple, yet fun technique and I thought St. Patrick’s Day would be perfect! This concept could be used with any cupcake and frosting combo. I used my favorite Chocolate Cupcake Recipe and American Buttercream Recipe.
How to make Shamrock Cut-out Cupcakes
1. Bake a batch of cupcakes. I used my Chocolate Cupcake Recipe.
(Note- You’ll want the cupcakes to have a bit of a dome above the top edge of the cupcakes liners, so fill the liners about 2/3 -3/4 full. I’ve found that I can not plan to use the whole batch of cupcakes, because due slight inconsistencies, some may rise quite enough to use for this technique. Plan accordingly.)
2. Prepare a batch of frosting (canned will work for these). I used my American Buttercream Recipe. I think adding 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract would be appropriate for these as well. Color the frosting light green.
3. When the cupcakes have cooled, used a small serrated knife to cut off the tops of the cupcakes, using the cupcake liner as a guide. Keep tops matched with their cupcakes.
5. Mound a bit of green frosting onto the center of the (now topless) cupcakes. You’ll want the frosting domed a bit so that when you press on the cupcake top, the frosting will come up into the cutout shape a bit.
6. Place the cutout cupcake top, and press down a bit. *If desired, before adding cupcake top, sprinkle cutout top with powdered sugar.
Serve and enjoy!
Cupcakes will keep, covered loosely at room temperature 1-2 days.
A little leprechaun told me… sharing these cupcakes with family and friends is sure to bring you good luck!