Butterfly Birthday Cake

This week we celebrated my youngest daughter’s 5th birthday.  To me, 5 is that number where a child is no longer a “baby”, or even a “toddler”… they’re a kid.  And in this particular case, when your 5 year old shares clothes with her almost 8 year old sister, and would probably be well suited to play pee-wee football (based on both size and personality)… she hasn’t been much of a ”baby” for a while!  I love seeing my children grow, but of course it’s somewhat bittersweet.

Last year I put together a fun Ladybug Birthday Party for Joy.  We generally do “big” parties for our girls every other year, so this is her “little” party year.  We celebrated with two of Joy’s little friends (along with our daughter, Grace), and enjoy cake and presents at home, then headed to a local indoor trampoline “park”.

When I asked my daughter what she wanted as a birthday cake the list was quite long and ranged from butterflies, to dragonflies, to rainbows, to pink and purple… so I had to narrow it down a bit and hope she’d be happy with it.  I think the end result was very sweet and would work quite well for almost any age woman who loves pretty and feminine things.

For the outside of the cake I tried a fun decorating technique I first saw on My Cake School.  I was very pleased that it was quite easy to execute and I think I’ll definitely try it again.  It’s quite quick, and I think it creates a beautiful, and unique look.  There are full instructions on this technique, described as a Petal Effect, on My Cake School.

I dressed up the frosted cake even further with fondant butterflies in pink and purple tones.  I’ll try to do a tutorial on the butterflies very soon.

A few pretty candles (available at Sur la Table, or Shop Sweet Lulu) finished the cake and added an additional element of pink and purple.

Happy birthday to my sweet Joy… who will always be my “baby”!

45 Responses to “Butterfly Birthday Cake”

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — January 19, 2012 at 5:15 am

she is adorable, it is so hard to see them grow out of the baby stage, they are always going to be our babies. And I love the effect on the cake I must try that.

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} — January 19, 2012 at 5:28 am

Aww babies turning 5 sigh. It is sad and happy. Truly a pretty cake! She looks positively elated!!

MrsFoxsSweets — January 19, 2012 at 5:36 am

Such a pretty cake for a pretty girl! The colors are perfect and I love the design on the side. My baby is turning 4 in a couple week. It is especially hard when it it the last baby growing up!

Jo-Lyn's Cup Cakes N' Candies — January 19, 2012 at 5:53 am

beautiful cake! happy birthday cute 5 year old! i have a cute 15 year old! =)

Karyn - Pint Sized Baker — January 19, 2012 at 5:54 am

Simply beautiful! My daughter is turning 6 next month and this would be great, but she's having an animal party and doesn't want a girly cake. What is a mom to do??

Canterbury Cakes — January 19, 2012 at 6:11 am

Such a pretty cake! I'm a My Cake School subscriber too – I think it's great, such an invaluable resource!

Robin @ Bird On A Cake — January 19, 2012 at 6:25 am

What a lovely cake! Good job! I'll be making a cake for my daughter's 13th birthday next week…talk about bittersweet!

Cookbook Queen — January 19, 2012 at 6:28 am

Your little girl is GORGEOUS!! I bet she loved this cake, it's so perfect. Love that petal technique, it's really cool!!

manu — January 19, 2012 at 6:41 am

Wow this cake is so beautiful! I love the petal effect!

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita — January 19, 2012 at 6:43 am

She's beautiful! Happy Birthday to your lovely girl.

Angsthase — January 19, 2012 at 7:15 am

oh, this cake is beautiful! i love the tall candles, too – such a perfect addition. happy birthday to your daughter!

SweetSugarBelle — January 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

Happy birthday, Joy! You almost upstage the cake!

Shannon — January 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

It's beautiful! I love the pink and purple together. Kids birthdays are always so much fun!

Charmed Life — January 19, 2012 at 8:46 am

I follow your blog and am always in awe…but today it is triple awe. That cake is just spectacular. Joy is a very lucky little girl.

BigBearswife — January 19, 2012 at 8:59 am

Happy Birthday to your little girl.

Middleton Family — January 19, 2012 at 9:09 am

BEAUTIFUL! Happy Birthday Joy! Your parents picked the perfect name for you since you really do bring JOY everywhere you go! I love you sweet little girl! Can't believe I met your mom when she was preggo with you – it seems we have been friends much longer!

Misbah — January 19, 2012 at 9:10 am

what a sweet cake. Loce the pleet effect. Happy birthday to you little princess .

Amanda Young — January 19, 2012 at 9:20 am

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!

Karen - Trilogy Edibles — January 19, 2012 at 9:42 am

Such a sweet cake for a sweet girl. My youngest turns 4 in two weeks, so I feel what you're going through. Happy Birthday to the beautiful girl!

Maja i Kamila — January 19, 2012 at 10:17 am

just… stunning!

Manderley de GuindillayCanela — January 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Ohhh it's so cute!!! Sweet and pretty! So yummy

xoxo

At Anna's kitchen table — January 19, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Happy Birthday! A beautiful cake for a beautiful daughter!

Stephanie — January 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm

That looks amazing. I wish I could try that cake.

be arte — January 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Happy Birthday to Joy !! She´s beautiful.
    I discovered you blog recently. I´m from Argentina, living en Cancún (México). Sorry if my english is not perfect. I´m trying to practice it.
    I think the technique is great ! I loved it.

Belén

The BearFoot Baker — January 19, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Happy Birthday Joy!! I hope you birthday is as sweet as your mother's cupcakes!!

500Galletasymás — January 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm

So cute! Happy birthday to her and congratulations to you for all your work!

Bea @ CancunCOOKIES — January 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Beautiful cake for a beautiful girl, Glory! God bless Joy and may she live many years!!! xox

Joy Adams — January 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I love this cake and I love the picture with Joy in it. I can see that she was very happy with the results.

MyCakeSchool.com — January 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Thanks for the shout, Glory! Your cake is absolutely precious–and I love the picture of your sweet daughter! ;0)

Daphne — January 19, 2012 at 7:04 pm

This is awesome! Love your work!

Baking With Melissa — January 19, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Soooooo Pretty!!! I want that to be my birthday cake! :)

EvelynMonroe — January 20, 2012 at 7:33 pm

This cake is gorgeous! I've been following your blog for a while, such an inspiration! I work at a primarily bread-muffin-bagel bakery, but I've started decorating special order cupcakes and cakes! I have to admit, I've used some of your ideas for inspiration on several occasions, especially the hydrangea one!

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — January 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm

It is so beautiful..Love the pretty pink color! :)

katty — January 21, 2012 at 5:34 am

bellissima!! complimenti!!!

Sadaf Afshan — January 22, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Belated Happy Birthday to Joy.Lovely cake, love the petal technique. I'm wondering about the flavor of the cake and the frosting .

Cristin (Pinkie) — January 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Gorgeous and what a beautiful picture of your daughter next to her cake! Sweetie! To me, it's when they lose their baby teeth that everything changes. For boys it's when they get hairy legs. They seem so different and yet still your little babies. Beautiful cake!

Kieli_Heart — January 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Both the cake and your daughter are adorable! Happy birthday :3 Thanks for sharing! Beautiful post ^-^

~ Kieli ~

Sue — February 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm

That cake is a frosting lover's(me) dream! What a beautiful technique. Joy is a cutie! My mom introduced me as her "baby" (youngest of 4) well into my twenties:)

Kerry — April 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Adorable cake! Love the technique. Just had to share on our party blog :)

pharmacy — April 27, 2012 at 10:12 am

happy birthday sweetheart! you deserve the best!

Soleil — December 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm

How do you finish the last petal so that it goes under the first??beautiful

Misty — February 2, 2014 at 12:42 am

Could you do this with cream cheese frosting?

• Glory replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 6:57 pm

Hi Misty, Yes, you can do this with cream cheese frosting, just make sure not too add too much liquid, so the frosting stays nice and thick. Also, as you’re working the heat of your hand may cause the frosting to become a bit too soft, so just wrap the piping tip with a moist paper towel (so the frosting in the tip doesn’t dry out) and put the whole piping bag in the fridge for 15 minutes or so.

1. Pingback: Happy Birthday to Happy!!!!

2. Pingback: Friday Favourites! | The Vanilla Bean