Beach Wedding Cookies

Earlier this week, I shared the collection of desserts I prepared for a beautiful ocean side wedding.  Today I’m back with a few more details on just the cookies.  I decorated three styles of cookies for the wedding… some very simple, yet pretty shells, small square monograms, and some extra detailed starfish.

I have already posted a tutorial on How to Decorate Shell Cookies.

The monograms are pretty self-explanatory.

And today I’ll share the directions for the starfish cookies.

I started with my favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe, and a batch of Royal Icing.

I prepared the royal icing in a nice medium brown color, in both a thick (outline) consistency, and also a thinner (flood) consistency.  I also prepared a bag of thick white icing.  For this design I also used some ivory colored sugar pearls.

~ How to decorate starfish cookies ~

1.  Outline and flood the starfish in brown.  While the icing is still wet, add sugar pearls (as shown).

2.  When the brown icing has set (at least 1 hour), use thick white icing (I used a #1.5 PME tip) and pipe rows of small dots, starting from the sugar pearls, and getting slightly smaller (if possible) toward the outer points of the “star”

3.  Begin piping lots of dots (of thick brown icing) all over the starfish (I used a #1.5 PME tip).  I prefer to star from the outside and work in.

4.  Continue filling the starfish with brown dots for texture all over.

*Please do not send me any hate mail if you try these… they are very time consuming!  I would not suggest attempting a platter of 100, but a few mixed in with other shapes makes a really beautiful display.

Happy Decorating!

27 Responses to “Beach Wedding Cookies”

KPjaveliner — September 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Hi Glory!! I want you to know how amazing I think your work is!! I am NOT a proficient baker by any means, but I think I could be, and I'm so amazed by what you do that I've tried a few recipes in friends' kitchens. You've also been part of my inspiration to move to a place where I have my own kitchen so that I can experiment to my heart's content! More on that later, haha. Thank you!!!

Chele — September 8, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Amazing and fantastic. How perfect they are. I wouldn't have the heart to eat them after all your hard work.

Jennifer (Delicieux) — September 9, 2011 at 3:18 am

Oh my God these cookies are SO gorgeous!!!!! They are just perfect. I wouldn't have the heart to eat them

Sweet Tooth Desserts — September 9, 2011 at 5:28 am

These are soooo pretty!! Such a great set!!

Frostine — September 9, 2011 at 6:17 am

Hello there,
    I just recently stumbled onto your blog and wanted to tell you how much I've been enjoying it. Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful ideas!

NanaBread (Jeanne) — September 9, 2011 at 7:05 am

Gorgeous, Glory. I'm a nut for those starfish!

Poet Whale — September 9, 2011 at 7:38 am

Your work is so perfect, it's an inspiration to bake.

Trish - Sweetology101 — September 9, 2011 at 8:00 am

Elegant and so delightful to look at. What fun.

Ema — September 9, 2011 at 9:08 am

Glory ~ you are an Artist!!!

Anne — September 9, 2011 at 9:29 am

Beautifully done!

Blomma (prononcer Blouma, "fleur" en suédois) — September 10, 2011 at 8:34 am

C'est vraiment magnifiqe, you did a amazing and perfect work, thanks for sharing!

linda — September 10, 2011 at 8:38 am

these are just magnificent!
    elegant & i love the color scheme… just beautiful.
    the very fortunate guests!!

Lauren — September 10, 2011 at 8:58 am

So cute! I love starfish :)

scrumptioussaturdays.blogspot.com

dinnerordessert — September 10, 2011 at 3:04 pm

These cookies are so pretty! They look amazing.

Kathy — September 10, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Very classy looking. Love the colors.

Jess — September 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Gorgeous! I love the look of the stars paired with the colors you used! Thanks for sharing :)

Possible Baker — September 14, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Omiword! Wonderful and stunning!! Great job on the dessert table, too!! You are and inspiration and I really enjoying seeing all your creativity and hard word look so amazing!!

Alicia — September 21, 2011 at 5:23 am

These are gorgeous! My sister-in-law is having a beach themed bridal shower and these will be perfect! Quick question: since they are pretty involved cookies, how long in advance can I make them and then how should I store them? Thanks!

xlpharmacy — December 9, 2011 at 5:31 am

so beautiful sea design and creative

Sandpiper Wedding — January 31, 2012 at 5:47 am

Fantastic… I am linking this page to my beach wedding blog. Those cookies look great.

Jennifer — September 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Those starfish cookies are amazing!! I had a beach wedding and I would have loved to have had those!! I’m addicted to your website! Thank you!

mary — May 5, 2013 at 1:30 pm

i’m making for shower the starfish cookies – want to know how far in advance to make cookies – how to store – after decorated plan to put in plastic gift bags – how much time ahead can this be accomplished. thanks so much looking forward to decorating those starfish

1. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Beach Wedding Cake and Dessert Table