Sweetness Contained {Cupcakes in a Jar}

There are a couple popular techniques that can elevate simple dessert into something extra special.  One trick is putting sweets on a stick.. cookies, cake pops, rice krispies treats and even mini pies somehow are much cuter on a stick!  And it seems the same can be said of putting special treats in a jar… it can turn a simple cupcake, for example, into an extra adorable treat, perfect to take on a picnic, give as a party favor, or as a sweet thank you to a teacher, co-worker or friend.

I’ve been seeing lots of beautiful treats in jars… cheesecake in a jar, cupcakes in a jar and even homemade cake mix in a jar.  Everything it seems, looks better in a jar!

So, I recently headed to Wal-Mart and bought myself a case of 1/2 pint canning jars.  Then I whipped up a batch of our household favorite… Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.

I baked the cupcakes as I normally would, using cupcake liners in a regular sized muffin pan.  Then, after the cupcakes were baked and cooled, I removed the liners and cut the cupcakes in half (horizontally).  I placed a half cupcake in the bottom of a jar, piped a swirl of frosting, added another half cupcake, more icing, a third slice of cupcake and a final swirl of icing.  So each jar contains 1 and 1/2 cupcakes.  I would suggest being slightly stingy on the icing, or the amount of icing may overpower the cupcakes, but it comes down to personal preference too!

Make someone’s day with a special treat in a jar!

I’m adding this post to Tidy Mom’s- I’m lovin it Friday post.

59 Responses to “Sweetness Contained {Cupcakes in a Jar}”

Leslie — June 1, 2011 at 9:12 pm

They are the cutest ~ most delicious looking cupcakes EVER!!!!

Cason, Katie Jo, and Creighton — June 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm

TRYING THIS!!

Cecilia — June 1, 2011 at 9:22 pm

These are super cute! I just want to eat cupcakes and sweets every time I read your blog! Yum!
    Love you!

SweetSugarBelle — June 1, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I love these so very much! The contrast is BEAUTIFUL!

Michelle — June 1, 2011 at 9:59 pm

how cute and I can already see myself decorating the jar lid and the jar itself…twine, papers, oh la la I'm thinking I'll be picking up some jars for myself tomorrow! Thank you for the wonderful inspiration :D

Jennifer — June 2, 2011 at 6:37 am

I love these! I bought myself jars a couple of weeks ago for this express purpose, now I just have to execute!!

Marilyn — June 2, 2011 at 6:52 am

Yummy and very cute! ♥♫

Stephanie — June 2, 2011 at 7:54 am

so cute! thanks for the how to :)

Chic Cookies — June 2, 2011 at 8:05 am

Did I ever mention my fascination with all things mason jar related? Had to post on EdibleCrafts.CraftGossip.com

Taysha — June 2, 2011 at 8:06 am

Must try this!!!

Gina L. — June 2, 2011 at 8:07 am

A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E! What is it about putting something in a cute little package that we love? What a fun treat that can travel to someone's house without getting damaged too!

Merry — June 2, 2011 at 8:38 am

I make these too! I use a sheet pan to bake the cake and then a 2 1/2 inch round cutter to cut out the perfect layers. I've made Pina Colada by adding some rum flavoring to the frosting as well as a layer of crushed pineapple. Another good one is Dreamsicle where you pour dissolved orange jello over warm orange cake and layer with vanilla frosting. BTW, the cake cuts easier if you refrigerate it first :o)

Cassandra {Sleeping or Sewing} — June 2, 2011 at 9:49 am

Soo cute!!! What a great idea! Thank you!

Grace — June 2, 2011 at 10:19 am

Love, Love, Love! I hope you will bake a red velvet cake and share the recipe and photos with us.

BETH — June 2, 2011 at 11:03 am

WHAT A FABULOUS IDEA, GLORY & IT'S BEAUTIFUL, FUN & PLAYFUL! ALSO, I LOVE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS, IMAGES AND IDEAS…I REALLY LOVE THE RAINBOW OF JELLO TOO; I CAN'T DO NOR HAVE THE TIME TO DO THEM BUT SURELY APPRECIATE EVERYTHING! YOU ARE ONE OF MY INSPIRATION. I LOVE, LOVE ALL YOUR WORK! :-) THANK YOU!
    Beth of Sacramento :-)

Cristin (Pinkie) — June 2, 2011 at 11:08 am

Sooooo adorable. I'm just going to have to give these a try! Thanks for sharing your fun idea!

VeganCraftastic — June 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm

this is so cute, I'm sooo making my own version of this, thanks for the idea!

Taylor — June 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

ooooo my goodness! Need to try!

Amy and Family — June 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I've never seen that before. I guess to make any dessert, the thing is to do individual servings. These are adorable. Plus you get way more frosting per cupcake – and I like that!

Joy Adams — June 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Very fun and stylish.

Kudos Kitchen — June 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm

What an amazing and fun idea! I think it would be great fun to eat my cupcake out of this little jar. So cute I could eat it up with a spoon! LOL

Shannon — June 2, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I LOVE this!! I mean, how great is this when transporting cupcakes?!! Plus, your are right, there is something about the cuteness of a jar. I'm definitely doing this very soon!!

Di-licious — June 2, 2011 at 3:55 pm

This would be the perfect way for kids to take home cake from a birthday party and do double duty as a goody bag – I will shamelessly steal this idea, but if anyone asks, I'll tell them Glory told me about it! Bravo!

Danielle — June 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Oh wow, I've been toying with baking cake in jars lately, but this is just reeaaallly freaking cute! Must try it!

MyCakeSchool.com — June 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Such a beautiful jar of yummmmm! I love chocolate & cream cheese together too! :0)

Kristine @ JandMs Eye Candy — June 2, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Found this thru The Tom Kat Studio on fb!! Posted the link on our fb page. THANK YOU!!

Jess — June 2, 2011 at 8:43 pm

These are absolutely adorable! I think these jars are the new-thing. Love it! And the color pairing? Totally awesome!

Leslie — June 3, 2011 at 9:50 am

This is great! Would make a perfect gift.

Julie — June 3, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I've been making these for about a year for special events and people absolutely love them. They think it's such a wonderful idea and something they typically haven't seen before. And if you're shipping cupcakes – this keeps them intact!

cookies and cups — June 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Love this! So pretty and delicious ~ a combo that I am quite fond of :)

cakeje van eigen deeg — June 5, 2011 at 8:10 am

I love this idea! I've seen it before, but you remind me of the fact that this would be a great gift for someone who, I'm sure, will absolutely love these…and it's her birthday soon!

Maia Bee's — June 7, 2011 at 6:08 am

I made these today as gifts! Thanks for the great idea!! http://www.maiabees.com/2011/06/cupcakes-in-jar.html

ada_hoping — June 14, 2011 at 9:32 am

Just did key lime pie topped with merengue in jars b/c I saw this. Too stinkin' cute. Thanks so much for the idea.

IamSusie — June 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm

You can just bake the cupcake directly in the jar…

Happy_DIYers — July 3, 2011 at 10:02 am

I found your blog via YoungHouseLove and I adore these! I'm having a BBQat the end of the month in honor of our little boy who was born 6/17, and I'm really thinking I'll layer either light blue frosting and white cake, or white frosting and light blue cake. Thank you so much for the inspiration! (:

Kelly C — July 25, 2011 at 10:31 am

Has anyone ever tried this and frozen these to use later? I was thinking of making these for teachers birthdays to be delivered on their birthday by making up one batch at a time.

Melanie — August 7, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Any idea how long these would keep?
    I'm thinking of doing them for Xmas but I have to ship most of my Xmas gifts.

Melanie

Glory/ Glorious Treats — August 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Melanie- I'm not sure how long they last, and don't have any experience shipping them, although I've considered it. I've kept them up to 3 days in the fridge and they're still great, but I haven't tried any longer… they are always eaten by then!

Anonymous — August 11, 2011 at 10:53 am

Where can I find or buy these jars?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — August 11, 2011 at 7:13 pm

@Anonymous- As I mentioned in the post, I bought the jars at Wal-Mart. I have also found them at the grocery store.

Nathaly — April 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I love !! J'adore !

ashley — June 26, 2012 at 2:50 am

Im doing this.. but im thinking bananna pudding for the fourth and carrot cake for thanksgiving lol.

Maria — August 10, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Hi there.

Did u use a muffin case on a muffin tray or a cupcake case on a muffin tray?

Thanks!

• Glory replied: — August 23rd, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

Maria, I bake the cupcakes in paper liners, in a cupcake/muffin pan. Does that answer your question?

Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama — August 26, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Such an adorable idea!!! Love it!

I featured your cupcakes on my blog today, come check it out! :)

Alice Blue — February 19, 2013 at 9:30 am

May I please know the font you used for this site? Thank you.

Nueyer — May 3, 2013 at 7:08 am

Ooooh…. I’m keeping this in mind for possible teachers’ day gifts for my little one!

ana — May 29, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I like these they are soo cute! this is going to sound really silly but isnt it hard to eat them from the jar? is it more of a naw it looks cute” sort of thing but isn’t all that practical?

• Glory replied: — May 27th, 2014 @ 5:42 pm

Ana, We just eat them with a fork, right out of the jar =)

Cynthia — May 14, 2014 at 4:40 am

Have you tried to freeze or perhaps even ship to family or friends?

Thanks!

• Glory replied: — May 27th, 2014 @ 5:53 pm

Hi Cynthia, I’ve yet to try it, but I do think it would likely work well. Of course you’d need to send it packed with some cold packs and such to keep them cool as possible. I might start by sending it to someone in your general area of the country, so it might get there in 2 days or so, and then ask them if they were still cold, etc. For that matter you could do a test run and not actually ship them at all… just freeze them, pack it in a box, and leave it on your back porch for 2-3 days, then open it and see how they look.

1. Pingback: 16 sweet treats in jars : emerald + ella blog

2. Pingback: Cutedrop » Gifts in a jar: a felicidade está num potinho.

3. Pingback: Pink Cupcakes with Sprinkles in a Mason Jar | Recipe Tutorial

4. Pingback: 27 Ways To Pack A Better Lunch | Best Ways

5. Pingback: EDIBLE PARTY FAVORS | Pickypik

6. Pingback: 4th of July Cupcakes in a Jar » Glorious Treats

7. Pingback: 7 Easy and Delicious Summer Wedding Favours | Better Baking Bible

8. Pingback: Mason Jar Desserts – Dessert Recipes – ALL YOU | Deals, coupons, savings, sweepstakes and more…