Christmas Cookies and Cute Packaging

Christmas if certainly one of my favorite times of the year to make cookies!  Pretty cookies can make such special gifts, and are always welcome at holiday parties!  After making pretty pastel cookies for the Vintage Pastel Christmas party, I had fun making a set with more traditional colors.  For some reason I found myself making lots of Christmas trees.  I guess I wasn’t really paying attention when I was cutting the dough!  Oh well, it gave me a good reason to play with a few different designs.

Here are some cute mittens, snowflakes, peppermints and lots of trees!

I made most of these for a friend who wanted some special favors for a dinner table she was hosting at a church ladies event.  I made sets of three cookies to be packaged together and put some extra care into packaging them in a festive way.

I’ve posted some instructions on packing cookies in this way HERE and HERE.

Basically, you need some scrapbooking paper, cellophane cookie bags, and either double sided tape or a stapler.  Then some ribbon to finish it off.

For these favors I wanted to add a colored paper behind the cookies, but I was worried about the butter in the cookies making the paper look oily.  My solution was to put the background paper inside another small bag and then put that inside the cookie bag.  (I used bags just like THESE to put the paper in and used THESE as the outer bag).

I’ve posted the sugar cookie recipe I use HERE.

And a nice tutorial to get you started with cookie decorating is HERE.

Happy Cookie Making!

48 Responses to “Christmas Cookies and Cute Packaging”

Andrea — December 14, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Oh my heavens… that is so clever and adorable!! I love it.

Amy and Family — December 14, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Where are you getting all this energy lately??? I need to know!

nikki — December 14, 2010 at 11:52 pm

You always come up with the cutest ideas!

L — December 15, 2010 at 4:22 am

Thats genius about putting the paper in a smaller bag. Ive always had the butter spots so I quit packaging them lol.

Samantha — December 15, 2010 at 5:37 am

Gorgeous as usual Glory!

Until tomorrow, Jennifer — December 15, 2010 at 6:14 am

Your cookies look amazing! Can you please tell me how long these cookies last? I think I am going to give it a whirl this weekend and make these with my kids. Do you think they will last until Christmas? Thanks

Glory/ Glorious Treats — December 15, 2010 at 8:52 am

Thanks ladies for the sweet comments!

Jennifer- The cookies last a full week (even longer, but after a week they dry out a bit). So if you make them this weekend they'll still be good for Christmas. Happy Baking!

Lora Joy — December 15, 2010 at 9:13 am

clever! you make awesome cookies!

beth — December 15, 2010 at 9:33 am

Hi Glory,
    WOW!! These are beautiful…Such exquisite decorated cookies. I am just at awe with all your work. You must have lots of fun working alone and with your 2 adorable precious little Princesses. Their photos are sooooo cute! Can't help but smile and adore! :-)
    Very pretty names, too!
    Merry Christmas!!

Lerissa — December 15, 2010 at 10:58 am

Glory,

These are beautiful…can you tell me how you get such a great RED color? My reds always look pink.

Darla — December 15, 2010 at 11:04 am

You make the most beautiful cookies I have ever seen and I LOVE the way you packaged them up!!

Kathy — December 15, 2010 at 11:24 am

Beautiful cookies! I wish I had the time to learn to decorate cookies like you! I love the little peppermint candies! Thanks for sharing!

Tammie — December 15, 2010 at 11:29 am

Seriously beautiful! The tags just send it up another notch. Love them. Thank you for sharing.

Kotomi — December 15, 2010 at 11:44 am

the packaging is adorable!! and the frosty peppermint candy is so cute, too! so festive, i love them!

JC's Loft — December 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Wow I wish I had your skills!!!!!

Paula

All Boys and Me — December 15, 2010 at 5:44 pm

So fresh! Love them!!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — December 15, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Thanks everyone for the sweet comments!

Lerissa- I use Americolor brand "Super red". Also, the color developes over time, so if I want a real nice red, I make the icing, add some coloring, then let it sit (covered) in the fridger for a while (a few hours or overnight). This way you don't have to add quite as much food coloring (which can cause other problems).

Sue — December 15, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Your cookies are perfection! I love the snow hat!

rosilet — December 16, 2010 at 5:24 am

This is great! But i have a question…how do you avoid greasy stains to go on the craft paper? Or there are my cookies which are releasing this stains :P??

Glory/ Glorious Treats — December 16, 2010 at 9:04 am

Rosilet-
    I mentioned that in the post… I put the paper inside a seperate bag to protect it from the oil in the cookies.

Stockberry — December 16, 2010 at 2:29 pm

This is really cute and I love the packaging!

Melody — December 16, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Hi Glory,
    I've just found your blog and instantly it is a favourite. It is just wonderful.

Styme123 — December 16, 2010 at 9:22 pm

yummy, yummy

rosilet — December 16, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Oups, sorry Glory, these are such busy days i just took a look at the pics and forgot to read everything…promise next time I'll read first!
    Carry on the wonderfull work! and Happy Holidays!

Dale — December 17, 2010 at 5:04 am

Just love your blog & you are my inspiration!

Rowaida — December 17, 2010 at 8:34 am

gorgeous! love your blog so inspiring! do you have a twitter

Titinha Ibrahim — December 17, 2010 at 10:00 am

there's a little stamp for you on my blog!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — December 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Rowaida- Sorry, I'm not on twitter. I am on Facebook, I'd love to have you there!

Lisa — December 21, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Oh My Gosh These are ADORABLE sets!

Kristin — August 9, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Absolutely stunning and very inspiring! You are very creative!

amalia — November 25, 2011 at 7:29 am

Hi Glory

I love your peppermint cookies… how did you decorate them? Did you just pipe the red to look kind of swirly and then flood or did you use a toothpick to drag the lines? I love them….and was just curious!!! Would love to make some for Christmas this year:)

LillysNLollipops — November 29, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I'm your newest follower! And after looking at your blog I need some cookies!

Amanda@ http://Lillysnlollipops.com

Brenda — November 29, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Love, love the 2nd bag idea! Thanks!

Designed with Purpose — December 5, 2011 at 7:27 am

Thank you for the packaging idea! I got up this morning on a mission to find a cute way to package my cookies and this is fabulous!

Bailey — November 28, 2012 at 4:30 am

Where did you get your cookie cutters? These are so adorable!

Kim of The Made Thing — December 3, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’ve linked up to your post on my blog today as part of a “What cookie am I?” quiz! Love the directions on decorating! It’s super useful.

Ana — March 10, 2013 at 10:36 am

Glory – I’ve just discovered you blog/site – it’s fantastic. I’ve always thought how you present your gift/baked goods/etc. is just as important as the items themselves. I’m the mad wrapping elf at Christmas – lol. I really love that you offer all the info on where/how to purchase items needed to create your beautiful ideas. To me there’s nothing worse than a chef/baker who offers you the recipe and omits an ingredient or down-right refuses to share :(

FYI – the ruffled cake stands you show and comment about being sold for a short time at Cosco – I’ve seen them at Marshalls, T.J. Maxx & Home Goods. Hope this helps others find them :)

I’ve really enjoyed all your ideas, pictures, stories – thanks again and keep on baking/planning/and presenting.

Ana

imogen — November 10, 2014 at 12:40 pm

hi, think these are so cute! i’m thinking of making some for a charity christmas fair, do you know how long these would last in the packaging? (to sell them as christmas gifts) thank you! :)

1. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Cute and Creative Cookie Packaging Ideas

2. Pingback: Stop what you’re doing and look at this! « Kerry Cooks

3. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Peppermint Candy Decorated Cookies

4. Pingback: Creative Holiday Cookies Packaging –

5. Pingback: IW: 25 {Homemade} Pretty Packages Tied up with String « perpetuallydaydreaming

6. Pingback: If I Had Cookie Decorating Talent, This Is What I Would Make