Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Icing

This is an easy and oh-so-delicious recipe that includes some of the most wonderful flavors of fall… pumpkin, cinnamon and maple.  I made these last weekend for a pot-luck and received tons of rave reviews!  These are soft, cake-like cookies.

Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Icing

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger

3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (use slightly less if fresh ground)

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened

2 cups packed light brown sugar

2 eggs

15 oz can of pumpkin (1 1/2 cups)

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup raisins (optional, but delicious)

~Directions~

1.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl and set aside.

2.  In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until fully blended and slightly fluffy.  Mix in eggs and beat.  Add pumpkin, raisins and vanilla and continue to mix until well blended.

3. Add flour mixture, and mix until combined.

4.  Chill batter in fridge at least 15 minutes (this will help the cookies from spreading too much while baking).

5.  Scoop batter onto parchment lined, Silpat lined or lightly greased cookie sheets using a cookie scoop, or a large spoon.

6.  Bake cookies in a preheated oven at 375*F for about 12 minutes.  Cool a few moments on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack.  Frost cookies with Maple icing (below) while still slightly warm.

Maple Icing

4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter (salted or unsalted)

2 cups confectioners sugar

2 Tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon maple extract

~Directions~

While the cookies are baking, melt butter in a small sauce pan or in the microwave.  Mix melted butter with powdered sugar in a large bowl, using a whisk until well combined.  Add milk, and extracts.  Whisk until smooth.  Use a small knife or the back of a spoon to spread icing on top of cookies.  If you frost the cookies while they are still just slightly warm, the icing will dry with a nice smooth finish.

*Note- If you don’t have maple extract on hand, but want to makes these cookies with just the vanilla flavoring, they will still be good.  But the maple is really the secret ingredient in this, it adds such a wonderful flavor!

These cookies will keep quite well for at least 3 days, stored in an airtight container.

Recipe Source-  Final recipe by Glory Albin.  Inspiration from several different recipes, but most resembles a recipe from Martha Stewart (Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter Icing).

Make these this season… then make a pot of coffee and invite me over.

Happy Baking!

30 Responses to “Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Icing”

Tammy@EventsByTammy — October 10, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Those cookies look so good! I may have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

LilaVanilla — October 11, 2010 at 1:34 am

Your cookies look lovely & it's always good to have another pumpkin recipe around this time of year! Thank you for sharing :)

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) — October 11, 2010 at 2:26 am

These would be so comforting and perfect for fall. I'd love to make a big batch and share them around with friends. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous — October 11, 2010 at 5:34 am

What is the texture like of these cookies? Cake like? Chewy?
    ~Tara

buttercream — October 11, 2010 at 11:16 am

these look amazing. I was just looking for a great pumpkin recipe and here it is. Thanks~

Paula — October 11, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I'm a fan of any cookie with spices in it. These pumpkin ones look great and to top them off with maple icing…super.

Chef Bee — October 12, 2010 at 7:35 am

Perfect for this time of year. The cookies look great.

Plan B

Charlene — October 12, 2010 at 9:00 pm

These look yummy.

The recipe reminds me of the one for persimmon cookies. My mom made them from persimmons that we picked up under trees of them on the farm in southern Indiana. I have no clue where to find the pulp these days but they were spiced and had a white icing on them similar to the pumpkin ones.

Anonymous — September 14, 2011 at 9:31 am

Should I make the coffee before I invite you or after your already on your way, you know I've heard that coffee taste best in the first 30 minutes after being brewed. Hey I have a better idea! You make the cookies and I'll buy you Starbucks when you arrive. From the short one in Marysville

Las Vegas Mama — September 15, 2011 at 8:09 am

They look amazing and the recent rain and cooler weather are inspiring me to try them out! Here is a dumb question but bear with me because I am not much of a baker – If I cannot find maple extract, could I use maple syrup??

Las Vegas Mama — September 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Ok I found maple extract but only IMITATION maple extract. I will use it, but I am wondering whether anyone knows if there is anything besides imitation maple extract…?

Las Vegas Mama — September 16, 2011 at 8:29 am

I made a batch and they came out rather fluffy… like a bread, almost. Are they supposed to be that way or did I do something wrong? PS-they are delish!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — September 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm

@Las Vegas Mama- Imitation extract will be fine. I have found real maple extract at Target, so you may check there if you like maple flavor. Maple syrup would be fine, although the extract is much more concentrated flavor. Yes, the cookies will be soft and cake-like.

Scrappy Moments — September 17, 2011 at 1:45 am

They look deliscious thank you for sharing,now I have something I can use my Mapeline with :) How many Dozen does it make ?

Wende — September 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm

These look fabulous! I shared your recipe on my Must Try Tuesday post.

Thanks for sharing another great recipe!

Wende

Mrs. Hammond — September 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I couldn't find the maple extract so I went with plain vanilla. Still yummy!! Next time I think I may switch out the raisins for mini chocolate chips..just for my chocolate fix!

lgrove — September 27, 2011 at 9:49 pm

These cookies taste amazing! Thanks, Glory for the delicious treats.

Tori Edwards — October 4, 2011 at 8:32 am

I made these for a dinner party last week and they were such a hit! I swear, I am SUCH a fan of your blog and all your recipes. I have used two on my blog already. You're such an inspiration to my baking endeavors :) Thanks again for another great recipe!

Tori Edwards — October 4, 2011 at 8:34 am

I made these for a dinner party last week and they were such a hit I made them 3 times! super easy and remind me of fall! i am so inspired by your blog and have already used two recipes on my blog. I am so thankful that you share your recipes with the rest of us baking amatuers! thank you! :)

Kish — October 9, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I just made these cookies yesterday and will be making another batch real soon. They were so soft. My husband and my nephew really enjoyed them.

Karen - Trilogy Edibles — October 22, 2011 at 4:08 pm

These look amazing, I'll be featuring them tomorrow on my blog http://www.trilogyedibles.com for great pumpkin recipes from around the web!

Anonymous — December 13, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Gloria i could cry! my maple icing looks awful, it looks nothing like yours its really grainy, i have beat it to death and then made my fiance beat it too, we cant get the grainyness to go away, i thought i needed more milk but not its just runny and grainy so when it dries on the cookies you can see the speckles of powdered sugar

Paula @ Paula's Plate — September 20, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Hi Gloria! Do you know if these cookies freeze well? I hope to make some tomorrow, but freeze half of the batch. Thanks!

Kim — September 23, 2014 at 7:48 am

Looks so yummy! a must try :) :)

1. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

2. Pingback: Pumpkin Cookies With Maple Icing – Affordable Grocery

3. Pingback: The Snowfox Fall Fun List, 2.0 « XIAO BAI HU

4. Pingback: 14 Popular Bloggers Reveal Their All-Time Favorite Cookie Recipes | Best Friends For Frosting

5. Pingback: Yummy {Pretty} Cookies | Antsy Hands