My older sister has a 60 acre farm and orchard. I’ve been helping her with her Farmer’s Market booth once a week, and it’s fun for us to work together. In addition to enjoying the time with my sister, another big perk of the job is free produce! Gorgeous, hand picked, pesticide-free produce!! Last week this is what I came home with….
As I was driving home with my loot I started thinking about what I might make with the gorgeous produce. Of course desserts always rule in my mind, so I narrowed in on these beauties…
I settled on the idea of using the blackberries and peaches to make a yummy cobbler I searched my cookbooks for a recipe and found several very similar options. I had a few ideas of my own as well, so I made a few adjustments along the way. The base recipe I used came from Fix It and Enjoy It, by Phyllis Pellman Good.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup flour
1 cup milk (any fat content)
1 cup sugar (plus 2 Tablespoons later)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2-3 cups fresh blackberries*
1/2 cup sliced almonds (1/4 cup in batter, 1/4 cup on top) optional, but delicious!
*I used blackberries and peaches, but next time I think I’ll just use blackberries.
~ Directions ~
1. Preheat oven to 350*F
2. Grease a baking dish (I used a deep dish pie pan, but you could also use a 9″ x 13″ baking dish)
3. Melt butter in a large bowl. Add the flour, milk, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, vanilla, salt and 1/4 cup almonds. Stir well. Pour into prepared baking dish.
4. Arrange fruit on top of batter. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 2 Tablespoons of sugar on top.
Bake 40-55 minutes or until lightly browned.
The finished cobbler has a homey, country appearance. It may not be the fanciest dessert ever made, but it sure is delicious!
Top with vanilla ice cream, and you’ve got a winning combo… warm cobbler, cold ice cream… yum!!
Excuse me while I go get a spoon….
How to Make Blackberry Cobbler
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk any fat content
- 1 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons later
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds 1/4 cup in batter, 1/4 cup on top optional, but delicious!
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Grease a baking dish (I used a deep dish pie pan, but you could also use a 9″ x 13″ baking dish)
- Melt butter in a large bowl. Add the flour, milk, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, vanilla, salt and 1/4 cup almonds. Stir well. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Arrange fruit on top of batter. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 2 Tablespoons of sugar on top.