Pastel Snowflake Cake
Just so perfectly sweet… this Pastel Snowflake Cake would be gorgeous for any winter party!
I love pastel colored sweets all year round, and winter is no exception!
As much as I love traditional Christmas colors, there is something extra special about pastels.
Of course… you are welcome to use the general techniques and designs from this cake and have fun with any color theme you want!
This cake starts with my perfect chocolate cake recipe, delicious cream cheese frosting, and then is topped with buttercream frosted cookies… YUM!
This recipe was created in partnership with Challenge Dairy.
PIN IT NOW to save for later!
The star of this cake is large snowflake cookies decorated with buttercream frosting.
As you know if you’ve spent any time on my site before… I most often decorate cookies with royal icing.
As much as I love the detail that can be achieved with royal icing… it’s hard to beat the flavor and soft texture of buttercream!
I made a batch of my favorite buttercream frosting (recipe below) and piped it onto the cookies using a small open star tip.
Scroll down to find the video included in this blog post that shows the whole decorating process for both the cake and cookies.
Of course when buttercream cookies are the star of the cake… then Challenge butter is the star ingredient!
My holiday baking always starts by stocking up on Challenge cream cheese and Challenge butter.
Challenge loves to let their fresh, high quality ingredients shine through in their products which means I can depend on a pure taste and superior results!
Challenge dairy products have no added flavors, dyes, or artificial preservatives…. just fresh and delicious ingredients that are the perfect foundation for successful recipes!
When I take the time to bake beautiful things… I only want the best!
This recipe includes three components…
FROSTING – I made two batches of frosting, one batch (using the recipe below) with cream cheese (see “notes” in recipe below). This is what I used to frost the cake itself. Then I made a second batch of frosting (using the recipe below, but without cream cheese) to frost the cookies. I colored the frosting using Americolor gels in soft pink, sky blue and purple.
Perfect Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Perfect Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup Challenge butter 2 sticks (salted, or unsalted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract best quality available
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream half and half or milk
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter (on medium speed) until completely smooth (30 seconds to a minute). (If you are adding cream cheese, add it now, then beat until smooth)
- Add salt (if needed).
- One cup at time, add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla, and blend to combine.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
- Add the remaining 2 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
- Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. For the icing you'll be coloring and piping onto the cookies, you want the icing to be nice and thick, so you may not need to add the additional cream.
- Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.
PIN IT NOW to save for later!
Happy baking and decorating!
Disclosure – I created this recipe in partnership with Challenge Dairy. Partnering with brands I love allows me to provide you with high quality content at no cost to you. I only work with brands I use and love. All images, text and opinions are my own.