Spring Brush Embroidery Cookies

Pretty Pastel Decorated Cookies - glorioustreats.com

Spring flowers, and cookie decorating… two of my favorite things!  I’m combining these two loves with these Spring Brush Embroidery Cookies.

I’m often drawn to pastel colors, and when I wanted to share the beautiful and delicate technique of brush embroidery, this seemed the fitting color palette.

Brush embroidery was a cookie decorating technique I was intimidated to try for a long time.  When I finally gave it a try a few years ago I realized how truly simple it is!  Although it does take a bit of time, and it’s important to have the correct icing consistency, one you get going I think you’ll find it a relaxing and rewarding technique!

Pretty Pastel Brush Embroidery Cookies - glorioustreats.com

Let’s decorate!

How to decorate cookies with brush embroidery…

First, you’ll need a  batch of cookies made from my Sugar Cookie Recipe (or your favorite).

You’ll also need a batch of Royal Icing and a small, flat (new/clean) paintbrush.  You’ll see the size and shape I used in the images below.  Each decorator may have their own brush preference.

I outlined and flooded the cookies shown with the same consistency of icing, a medium consistency (and a #2 tip).  Mix up a batch of icing (using the recipe listed above) and then add some icing to a bowl.  Add your color, and a bit of (slightly warm) water (1/2 teaspoon at a time) until you’ve reached a consistency similar to shampoo or corn syrup.  It should be just thin enough that after 15-20 seconds a spoonful of icing drizzled into the bowl disappears into the rest of the icing.

Outline and fill in the cookies, then allow that icing to dry fully overnight.

The next day, prepare a bag of white piping consistency (stiff) icing (with a #2 tip).  The icing should be about the consistency of toothpaste.  It should not be so stiff that it hurts your hand to squeeze the bag, but when piped onto a surface (cookie) the line stays in place.

How to do brush emboridery on cookies - glorioustreats.com

Step by step brush embroidery (as pictured above).

1. Pipe the outline of two flower petals (as shown).

2.-4.  Using a slightly moist brush, pull some of the icing from the edge you’ve created, in toward the center of the cookie.  The brush should be slightly moist as you work.  I keep a small bowl of water at my work area, dip the brush into the water, then dap the brush onto a paper towel to absorb much of the water.  This is something you will have to experiment with.  If you begin to “brush” the icing the brush is too wet, you will lose any definition in the petals.  As you’ll see in the photos (both above and below), you want to be creating some texture in each petal (from the brush bristles) to represent the veining in real flower petals.

5.  Pipe the start of a few more petals, as shown.

6.  As before, brush the icing from the edge, toward the center of the cookie.  You can experiment with how thick or thin you want to leave the outside edge of each petal.

(continued below…)

How to do brush embroidery on cookies - glorioustreats.com

7.  Allow this set of petals to dry just a bit before moving to step 8.  If you are working on several cookies, but the time you’ve done the first set of steps (1.-6. listed above), the petals should be plenty dry enough to move forward.

8.  Add petals to complete the outside row of petals (as shown).  Allow to dry (about 1 hour).

9.-10.  When the outside row of petals has set up, add new a row of petals (as shown).

11.  Complete this inner set of petals by filling in with some small petals.

12.  Add some small dots of icing to create a flower center, then add a few white non-pareils (sprinkles) for added dimension.

Your cookie is complete!  =)

Allow to dry fully (several hours) before packaging.

Pastel Brush Embroidery Cookies - glorioustreats.com

Happy decorating!

I hope you give this technique a try!  As always, please feel free to share your results on the Glorious Treats Facebook page.

32 Responses to “Spring Brush Embroidery Cookies”

Janice — March 24, 2014 at 7:15 pm

These are breathtaking! Thank you so much for your detailed instructions – they’re so easy to follow. I can’t wait to make these for upcoming bridal showers. :)

• Glory replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

Thanks Janice!! If you do give them a try please feel free to share on the Glorious Treats facebook page!

Robin @ Bird On A Cake — March 24, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Gorgeous! And I love the colors!

• Glory replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 8:41 pm

Thanks so much Robin!

Sharde — March 24, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Is there any way I could order a couple dozen from you? Im not a baker or Maybe I could pass this recipe to my Mom.

• Glory replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 8:42 pm

Thanks Sharde, but I do not take orders for any of my projects. I have a few suggestions of shops that do make custom cookies here, http://www.glorioustreats.com/faq

Anne @ Have a Cookie! — March 25, 2014 at 3:48 am

Beautiful!!

Cecilia — March 25, 2014 at 5:05 am

Those are beautiful! They would be perfect for a spring tea party… Love you!

• Glory replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 8:44 pm

Thanks Cecilia! I agree… these would be super sweet for a tea party, I hope I can find the time to host one this year!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com — March 25, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Wow – such gloriously beautiful cookies! Thanks for sharing that decorating tip!

Chichi — March 25, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Beautiful springtime cookies. Love that the tutorial is easy to forllow

Colleen @ Royal Icing Diaries — March 25, 2014 at 3:44 pm

These are spectacular! I just learned how to do this at CookieCon and cannot wait to practice! Glory, it was such a pleasure to meet you in person. Because I have absolutely no self control and I bought so many adorable things at CookieCon, I had to ship a box (huge) home to myself, and your gorgeous book is in that box! I’m pacing waiting for it to arrive!

Everyone, you need to buy her book. Beautiful!! I already marked a few recipes that I’ll be trying out in the next week or so.

• Glory replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

Hi Colleen, Thanks! It was so great to meet you as well!! I do hope you enjoy the book!

Erin Cook — March 25, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Those are absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing your creations and the instructions! I can’t wait to give them a try!

Abbie — March 25, 2014 at 4:29 pm

These look amazing, i would have thought they’d be really difficult to decorate but you make it rather simple!

Tisa@SeattleRetro — March 25, 2014 at 7:54 pm

You are so generous to share the technique with us, I’m an absolute newbie at decorating food & you make it look do-able! Thanks. Oh,,,.and YUM!

Meriem @ Culinary Couture — March 26, 2014 at 12:35 am

These are so pretty! I can’t wait to try this technique!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — March 26, 2014 at 1:30 am

I haven’t made decorated cookies in awhile. These are inspiring and make me want to jump right in!

• Glory replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 8:47 pm

Yay, I love to hear that! Thanks!

Carrie's Creations — March 26, 2014 at 7:04 pm

absolutely stunning!

• Glory replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 8:47 pm

Thanks Carrie!!

susie sweetiepetitti — March 26, 2014 at 8:27 pm

I am staring at this batch of cookies, and was all prepared to do the little peek of brush embroidery that I practiced at Spring Fling, Cookie Con 1 and Cookie Con 2. And then you come and rock my world….I love this whole flower. Tomorrow I will pick a great playlist and go to town. Thanks for inspiration!

• Glory replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 8:47 pm

Thanks Susie! So great to see you (although too briefly!) at Cookie Con! I can’t wait to see what you do with the combined inspiration from these and from Cookie Con!

Kim Miller — March 28, 2014 at 12:09 am

I have just found the perfect Easter treat! Thank you so much for such detailed instructions!!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking — March 28, 2014 at 1:22 am

Glory, these are incredible!! You are so talented, and you make decorating sound so easy. Pastels are always really pretty too (my favorite colors!), and you’re right — the flowers look perfect on them! They’re almost too beautiful to eat!

Petra — March 28, 2014 at 7:35 am

G-day from Australia! Just discovered your gorgeous blog! You are indeed a truly talented lady, and thank you for sharing your beautiful works of art (and great photography)! I’m smitten!

Taty Salina — April 8, 2014 at 9:10 am

Thank you for sharing this, really great and nice… will try to do it when I have time.

Laura — April 10, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Hi, I was wondering how you take your pictures. They are very high quality and some of the background is blurred, which looks very nice, and I’m about to launch up my own sight, so how would you recommend to start out and how to take pictures like that? You are amazingly talented, don’t stop posting! You are the best! :)

Dianne — April 13, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Everything old is new again! Years ago, when I first started my cake decorating business, I was teaching myself lots of techniques I would see but didn’t know how to do yet. I often used a brush to blend buttercream icing inside my piped outlines of a design because I didn’t know how to fill in those areas. I wet my brush and kept working at little “piles” of icing inside the outline, and it looked wet and shiny. It would dry that way (looking like glass) – I think because I used some meringue powder in my buttercream icing – and everyone thought I was a genius. I’ve given up decorating, but these cookies make me rethink that. I might get out my old tools and brushes and get busy again. Thanks so much for the beautiful inspiration!!

Sheri — May 8, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I love your cookies and have been inspired and tried a lot of them. Thought I would try the brushed embroidery for mother’s day cookies that I need to make. It looks so easy and it’s so beautiful, but mine looked like a 2-year-old did them. :( I’ll have to keep practicing and use a “plan B” for mother’s day!! Thanks for all the great ideas and tips! Love your site!

1. Pingback: The Thursday Thirteen – March 27, 2014 | Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice

2. Pingback: Floral Brush Embroidery Cookies | sweetkimplicity