Gingerbread House Decorating Party

Gingerbread cookies

This weekend my house was filled with the scent of gingerbread, and the sounds of 10 little girls having fun!  We hosted a Gingerbread House Decorating Party for some of my daughter’s friends as a special way to kick off the Christmas season.

I asked each guest to bring a (store bought) gingerbread house to decorate, and we spent the afternoon decorating houses and enjoyed some treats.

Please enjoy our Gingerbread House Party…

Gingerbread house party

I prepared a dessert table in traditional Christmas colors, and filled it with yummy treats.

Desserts included…

Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting

Gingerbread Cookies

Marshmallow Pops

and little treat boxes (from Tomkat Studio) filled with Hershey’s Kisses.

Gingerbread party

Gingerbread party invitations and favors

The party invitations (above) from Tomkat Studio set the theme for the party.  I prepared little favor bags for each guest, which included a little notebook (from Michael’s), stickers and a pencil (in striped bags from Tomkat Studio).

Gingerbread party banner

I made a banner to hang above the dessert table using custom printables from Tomkat Studio.  I added dimension to the banner using folded paper and a technique similar to the idea shown HERE from TomKat Studio.

Gingerbread party desserts

Gingerbread party cupcakes

I baked Chocolate Cupcakes in festive cupcake cups (similar available from Tomkat Studio or Shop Sweet Lulu), and dressed them up with gingerbread themed toppers from Tomkat Studio.

Gingerbread cookies

I made yummy Gingerbread Cookies and decorated them in the classic fashion, with red-hots (baked on) and a little accent of Royal Icing.

Christmas Marshmallow Pops

These Marshmallow Pops are super easy to make (just dip marshallows in chocolate and add sprinkles), and are so festive and delicious!  I found the stripped pop sticks at Cost Plus World Market (this year).

Gingerbread house favor box

Cute little boxes (a printable from Tomkat Studio) were filled with Hershey’s Kisses.

Christmas Mugs

I made hot chocolate and hot apple cider, and had it simmering on the stove.  The kid-sized gingerbread man mugs were a recent purchase from Crate and Barrel.

Gingerbread house candy

Although most gingerbread kits come with candy, I had lots of other pretty candies ready to choose from as well.  Personalized favor bags (above) doubled as place cards.

Gingerbread House Decorating

It was so fun after all the planning and set up to just watch the little girls all have fun!  Kids are so creative and are not handicaped by fear of imperfection (as so many of us adults are!).  They all jumped right in, and decorated their houses from top to bottom!

They were so proud of their creations!

Kids with Gingerbread Houses

A few notes for hosting your own gingerbread house party…

In years past I have made gingerbread houses for each guest… that is a silly amount of work!   Guests don’t seem to mind at all to be asked to bring their own house.  I highly recommend to my guests to purchase a pre-assembed house, so the kids can get right to the decorating.  Young children have a hard time paitiently holding up walls and waiting for their house to be set up before getting to the decorating.  Costco usually sells pre-assembled houses for the same price as most stores sell the kits.

Although most gingerbread house kits come with frosting, I still make up the frosting myself (before the party), so it’s ready to go.  I use my regular Royal Icing Recipe, and mix it to a nice thick consistency.  For this party of 10 girls I made 8 or 9 bags of white royal icing, and 2 bags of red, 2 bags of green, and 2 bags of blue.  It seemed to be a good amount so the girls didn’t have to wait for icing, and I didn’t have a ton left over either.

Party Details ~

All set up, styling, desserts and photos by (me) Glory Albin/ Glorious Treats

Invitaions and paper details from Tomkat Studio.

All other links to recipes and props are listed within the post.

50 Responses to “Gingerbread House Decorating Party”

Hani(Haniela's) — December 3, 2012 at 12:09 am

Super ADORABLE.
    You’ve outdone yourself again. Everything looks perfect and really beautiful.

• Glory replied: — December 3rd, 2012 @ 12:14 am

Thanks so much Haniela! Remeber how we used to race to comment first on each other’s photos? =) Look at you today, #1 =)

Christi @ Love From The Oven — December 3, 2012 at 12:22 am

So cute Glory, love it! Love the idea of having the guests bring a gingerbread house, it makes SO much sense. May have to do this next year!

Hani(Haniela's) — December 3, 2012 at 12:23 am

Well, I actually raced here today as soon as I spotted you on FB I was on the run to get here first. It is really beautiful what you’ve done again. Your attention to every little detail is admirable.

Elizabeth King — December 3, 2012 at 1:09 am

Oh my, those Gingerbread Houses look so fun to do and cute!

Trinette — December 3, 2012 at 1:19 am

I wish I was a kid! You are such an awesome mom! Every detail is so perfect!

The Partiologist — December 3, 2012 at 2:14 am

Look at their sweet faces – what fun everyone must have had!

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — December 3, 2012 at 2:14 am

The details are beautiful – what a fun party!

Ali Bee's Bake Shop — December 3, 2012 at 2:41 am

so cute!

maryann - cookie artisan — December 3, 2012 at 3:39 am

Oh my gosh Glory! There aren’t words to express how amazing this is!!! How lucky your adorable daugthers and their friends are! How I wish I was your neighbor! Breathtaking, right down to the teensiest of details! I want to drop everything and make some gingerbread right now!

SweetSugarbelle — December 3, 2012 at 3:44 am

It’s my dream to one day be able to fly my kids and I to your house to attend one of your parties! It’s a kid’s {and maybe adult’s} dream come true!

The Bearfoot Baker — December 3, 2012 at 5:01 am

One of these days!!! One of these days, I will be at one of your parties! Do I need to borrow a kid to get invited because I totally will do that!

Everything looks beautiful! Your photos are amazing! Merry Christmas my friend!!!

Maggie — December 3, 2012 at 5:17 am

This party idea and the decor for it are adorable! What lucky girls…they did a great job decorating. My daughters still love to make gingerbread houses and they are 21 and 22! :)

Sue {munchkin munchies] — December 3, 2012 at 7:01 am

I want to come to an adult gingerbread house decorating party! What a fabulous and fun time…every detail! You have some lucky little girls:)

Diletta — December 3, 2012 at 8:28 am

fabulous party!! everything looks wonderfull and you can see the sweet faces of girls having fun:) I wish I was kid !! Thanks for sharing this adorable Party!!!

suzanne — December 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm

This was a great idea and the children look so happy. thanks!

susie — December 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I used to do this party every year, but I would make the graham cracker on a milk carton house (like 30 of them) Now that my kids are in college, I miss this! I think I may pick up a couple of houses for a welcome home party….I know they miss being little kids as much as I do! Your set up was gorgeous…..

Cookbook Queen — December 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm

This is seriously so stinking adorable!!!! I can’t wait for Lucy Lu to get big enough to do stuff like this :)

And doesn’t Michaels have the best $1 goodies ever?? Totally stopping by there to raid the bins later!!

Kim - The TomKat Studio — December 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm

WOW Glory, it looks so amazing! You did such a beautiful job with every single detail. Thank you so much for showcasing our printables and party supplies! xoxo Kim

Melissa B — December 3, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Your party ideas are so cute!
    The girls looked like they are having a wonderful time! =)

Nancy Paine — December 3, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Glory, Looks like a wonderful time was had by all, and of course! So adorable was everything, and a great idea to have them bring their own houses! All they care about is the decorating, and eating the candies as they play! Love it!

Ann Musso — December 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm

My daughter, Gina, was one of the blessed little girls who got to decorate a house at this party on Saturday. She had the best time and I was amazed at Glory’s talent!! Thank you for including Gina and I!

sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — December 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm

so cute, that looks like a blast!

Dixie Parker — December 3, 2012 at 6:43 pm

absolutely wonderful

Luciana — December 3, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Lovely party! Everything is beautiful!

Brandy — December 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Adorable! We’re throwing a gingerbread house party this weekend. So excited. I’d like to try and purchase the banner but it’s not available on the site. Will you be adding more?

Brandy — December 3, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Opps! I’ll email TomKat! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Glory replied: — December 3rd, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

Yes, the printables are from Tomkat. For the banner, I used a custom sized printable (the white circles, but then added the red folded paper background myself.

Marlyn — December 3, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Beautiful work on this, everything came together so nicly and the photos are wonderful.

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — December 3, 2012 at 10:55 pm

What a fun idea! We usually do this with the nieces and nephews around Christmas time and it’s always a blast!

Cecilia — December 3, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Super cute! I love the pictures of the girls decorating. They look like they had a blast! I also love the use of your B&B Works gingerbread house as a decoration on the cake stand! Great work! Love you!

• Glory replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

Hehe, good eye! I love that gingerbread house! (and love you too!)

Nancy KV — December 4, 2012 at 12:00 am

Such a lovely party and so inspirational. I do wish there were more weekends in December ;) Happy holidays to you!

Veronica — December 4, 2012 at 12:59 am

Omg…I love this. Unfortunately, my daughter is now 12, in middle school and no longer wants these type of parties- I envy you, lol. You have the cutest ideas ever! I love your blog, I’ve been trying to go through it little by little…I don’t want to miss a post. You are truly an inspiration :)

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — December 4, 2012 at 3:34 am

Somehow I don’t think this would go over well in my house full of boys :( Can I come live with you?!!

• Glory replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

Yes, of course Katrina! Come on over! =)

Paula — December 4, 2012 at 3:42 am

Man oh man! When you through a party for your kids and their friends you really throw a party. What a lovely day the kids had, the expressions on their faces is testament to that. How proud they must have all been of their creations and rightly so.

Bellenza Bistro — December 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Everything about this party is just so darling! Must share this on our FB page. :-)

• Glory replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 6:03 pm

Thank you!

Mary@SiftingFocus — December 5, 2012 at 3:27 am

Glory, beautiful post. Over 15 years ago I began a tradition with my daughter, nieces, and nephews of decorating gingerbread houses. We have done it every year since. The oldest is 25 and the youngest is 8. We have a big design awards ceremony and everyone receives something – Most Original, Cutest Cottage, Best Theme, and like that. From the oldest to the youngest, they get into the spirit of it all. I wouldn’t trade this holiday event for any other. Thanks for sharing yours with all of us.

Darla | Bakingdom — December 7, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I wanna come over and play!! You’re, like, the best mom ever!!

Jody Bacon — January 15, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I’m always late to the party…. Jut perusing your blog and say this post. Such a darling party. My poor kids never got to make their houses for Christmas as things jut got too busy. I’m thinking that maybe thy should make Valentine ‘Love Shaks’ instead! Lol. Love seeing your creations on the cover of women’s world!

Maria Nikita — February 14, 2013 at 7:36 am

Such an inspirational website! Beautiful cakes and actually very tasty recipes! I only started cooking again a couple of months ago and since then baking has become an addiction!!! Finding your website though with such clever ideas and clear instructions makes everything easier and more straight forward! Well done! :) Greetings from Greece and the Crisis!

kaira — June 2, 2014 at 11:55 am

Awww…suchh a cute party..Just loved the idea <3 !

1. Pingback: Gingerbread House Decorating Party :: Cupcake Monday | The TomKat Studio

2. Pingback: Ideias para seu Natal!!! : Encontrando Idéias