Colorful Painted Pumpkin Cookies

This year, as I’ve been gathering ideas for fall decorating and crafts, I keep coming across pretty painted pumpkin (including these and these) that are a fresh and fun take on traditional Jack-O-Lanterns.

My daughters and I recently painted a few pumpkins for our front porch, and I thought the same fun colors and inspiration could be used on cookies as well.  Fall cookie decorating can sometimes feel limited to oranges, yellows, and browns, so it was fun to mix up bright, non-traditional colors.  I included the ever so popular chevron pattern, stripes, and polka-dots, and had fun mixing the colors and patterns.

Want to make your own colorful pumpkin cookies?

You’ll need a batch of cookies made with my Sugar Cookie Recipe (or your favorite).

Then, prepare a batch of Royal Icing.

For the chevron pattern (shown below), I made a template with cardstock, and traced the pattern onto cookies using a food coloring pen.

The only other tip to consider, is for cookies with stripes of various colors… outline and fill every other space, and allow that to set up a bit (about 1 hour) before adding the adjoining color.  This will add a bit of dimension to the cookies, as well as help prevent the colors from bleeding together.

Have fun mixing colors and patterns to create a playful set!

Now, if these wild pumpkins are quite your style…. my friend Callye of Sweet Sugar Belle has compiled a collection of over 20 different ideas, all using a pumpkin cookie cutter!  Each one is made by a different baker, and the full collection is bound to get your creative juices flowing!

Here is the amazing collection of ideas…

Here are links to each of the fun projects shown above…

1.      Panda Calaveras, Miss Cuit

16.  Cookie Cutter Pumpkin Fudge, The Partiologist

17.  3-D Pumpkin Cookie, Cookie Crazie

18.  Faberge-Style Pumpkin Coach, Oh, Sugar Events

19.  Peek-a-Boo Pumpkin Cupcake Topper, Sweetology 101

20.  Slimy Green Ghost Cookies, Pink Little Cake

21.  Silly Pumpkin Face Cookies, Klickitat Street

22.  Pretty Painted Pumpkin Cookies, Glorious Treats (you’re already here!)

23.  Lalaloopsie Cookies with a Twist, SweetSugarBelle

Happy fall baking!

47 Responses to “Colorful Painted Pumpkin Cookies”

The BearFoot Baker — September 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

These are so cute!!! I love your pumpkins!!

ThisBakerGirlBlogs — September 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Aww they all look so pretty! Will have to check the others out too :D

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons — September 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Love the colors…very pretty!

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — September 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Gorgeous colors! So whimsical and lovely :)

CookieCraziePam — September 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm

What unique and cute pumpkin cookies. I enjoyed doing this pumpkin cookie project with you. :)

Michelle @ MakeMeCake.Me — September 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm

The chevron striped and rainbow pumpkins are my favorite! Fun, different, but still in the Halloween spirit!

Dawn — September 24, 2012 at 4:09 pm

love the chevron cookie!! love! love! love!

Haley — September 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Hi! These cookies are amazing! Do you have a shop or are you available to sell cookies? Thank you!

• Glory replied: — September 24th, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

Hi Haley, No, I don’t sell any of my baking projects, they’re just enjoyed by family and friends. Thanks for your interest.

trish — September 24, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Wow. Stunning. The colors make me so happy and completely pop off the page!! I can’t believe I was asked to be included on this incredible collection – what talent abounds!!!

Karen @ Trilogy Edibles — September 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Wow Glory, these are awesome. I love the bright colours and the chevrons. They are perfect!

Maryann - Cookie Artisan — September 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Glory! Those are so much fun! Love the non traditional colors and fun patterns!

Sue {munchkin munchies} — September 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Glory, Your pumpkins are SO pretty! True eye candy, that’s for sure! I adore the pastels and the polka dots…CUTE!

Paula — September 24, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I’m seeing lots of different coloured painted pumpkins around here and I love them. I love your bright and happy coloured pumpkin cookies too.

Mary — September 24, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Very cute! Love the spin on a classic.

The Partiologist — September 24, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Very pretty.

Melissa {Simply Sweets by Honeybee} — September 25, 2012 at 1:43 am

These cookies just make me smile. Your use of color is fantastic. Great job! So glad to be a part of this project with you.

Georganne (LilaLoa) — September 25, 2012 at 6:40 am

Oh my!! These are SO FUN and bright!! They make me happy! I love the colors you used and the fantastic patterns!!!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — September 25, 2012 at 12:58 pm

so cute!

meaghan (the decorated cookie) — September 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm

LOVE this idea to brighten up Halloween! Bring on the color.. genius

MegaCrafty — September 25, 2012 at 3:22 pm

So many cute ideas- I really love the chevron pumpkins!

Michelle - I DO invitations by michelle — September 25, 2012 at 6:23 pm

AMAZING!! LOVE these so much!

Deborah — September 25, 2012 at 7:58 pm

These are just wonderful! The colors, the designs, amazing work and so fun.

JD — September 25, 2012 at 8:46 pm

OMG, Love it, love it, love it !!! Those are the cutest things ever !! You have such a creative mind, I am so envious !! I am going to try those this year for sure. Thanks for inspiring me !!

Bellenza Bistro — September 26, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Hooray!!! Non-scary Halloween cookies. These are so festive & fun!

Ashley — September 26, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Beautiful pumpkin treats! Looks like something you’d get from a chic bakery! I love ‘em

Lizy b — September 26, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I just slapped my own head. I’ve tried this chevron pattern. I’ve tried so many silly ways to try to get the darn stripes and points even. Duh! A template with just the points. I even tried to make a zigzag stripe thingy. Oh my gosh.

Thank you for this….my crooked chevrons thank you too ;)

Disappointed — September 27, 2012 at 10:33 am

I just wanted to look at the pastel Christmas cookies recipe, and clicked where it said to, but no luck.

• Glory replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 7:14 pm

So sorry for the frustration. Depending on your computer, there can be issues with some of the older links. Here is the direct link to the pastel Christmas cookies (as featured in the Vintage pastel Christmas party), http://www.glorioustreats.com/2010/12/vintage-pastel-christmas.html I hope this is what you were looking for.
      In the future, you can also use the links at the top of my site labled “Recipe Index”, “Cookie decorating”, etc to find what you’re looking for.
      Happy decorating!

Barbara Pendleton — September 27, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Crazy colorful! Love it. Adding your button to my blog.

• Glory replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

Thanks so much for adding my button to you site! I really appreciate it! <3

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — September 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I love love love how happy these are!!!

justJENN — October 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Brilliant as always, Glory!

1. Pingback: 20+ Ways to Use a Pumpkin Cutter

2. Pingback: Glittery Pumpkin Cookies

3. Pingback: Dulces de Halloween: las galletas | Halloween, Mesas de dulces | Fiestafacil Blog

4. Pingback: Friday Favorites–Pumpkins « Crafty Staci

5. Pingback: DIY Halloween Cookies :: Handmade Charlotte

6. Pingback: 10 Fall Favorite Recipes | Sweet Desserts

7. Pingback: Short absence « Confessions of a Pin-aholic

8. Pingback: PinLaVie... Make your pins come true – Colorful Painted Pumpkin Cookies

9. Pingback: Owl Cookies Using a Pumpkin Cutter

10. Pingback: 30 Easy to Decorate Halloween Cookies

11. Pingback: Halloween Desserts

12. Pingback: Sunday Sweets: 12 Cute Halloween Recipes | Whimsicle Design Studio

13. Pingback: Tartas, cupcakes, galletas y cake pops para fiestas de Halloween