Sewing and Quilt Cookies

Sewing has been a part of my life almost as long as I can remember.  Growing up, my bedroom was right at the top of the stairs in our house, and my mom had a sewing room/closet directly at the bottom of the stairs.  To me, one of the sounds of the Christmas season was hearing my mom sewing late into the night.  Most every year she would make each of us (myself and my two sisters) something that she had sewn as a gift… a quilt, a stuffed animal, or a dress.  Still today, my mom continues to enjoy sewing and quilting and makes lots of beautiful things as gifts and for her (and my Dads’) home.

My sister’s and I each learned the basics of sewing from my mom, and at different times in our lives we’ve enjoyed dabbling with sewing projects.  When I was preparing for my wedding (at the ripe old age of 19), I signed up for a sewing class in college and made my own wedding dress as my class project.

My daughter Grace, now 8, has taken quite an interest in sewing, and although I could teach her myself, I knew she would enjoy taking some sewing classes from a “real” teacher.  She’s been taking classes at our local quilting store and loves showing off the tote bag and skirt that she’s made so far.

I’ve been wanting to make some sewing and quilt cookies for a while, and when I realized that a  (sewing loving) friend’s birthday was coming up, I thought I could make fun cookies for my friend, as well as some for Grace’s sewing teacher.

Here’s the collection I came up with…

I had a fun time creating several different quilt-inspired designs…

Want to make some sewing and quilting cookies too?  Let’s get started!

I started with my go-to Sugar Cookie Recipe and Royal Icing Recipe (the post with the royal icing recipe also includes lots of cookie decorating basics, if you are new to cookie decorating).

Because each of the cookie designs in this set required some drying time between steps, I began with the first steps on each design, then moved on to another cookie shape/design.   By the time I had done one portion of each cookie, it was time to move to the next layer of design.  As you can see above, I did the first color on some of the quilts, then I move to some buttons (using a great tutorial from Sweet Sugar Belle), then I started on the spools of thread.

~ How to Make Quilt Cookies ~

1.  Decide on your pattern, and use a light colored edible marker (and a ruler) to mark your desired design.

2.  Begin your pattern, using a piping/outline consistency icing to outline the areas for your first color.

3.  Fill in the outlined areas (with a medium/flood consistency).  Allow this color to set/dry (1-2 hours) before adding the next color, in the remaining space.

~ How to Make ‘Spools of Thread’ Cookies ~

These cute and simple cookies were inspired by Sweet Sugar Belle.  I used a mini dog bone shaped cookie cutter, and stretched it open just a bit.  Using a medium consistency brown icing, pipe the top and bottom of the “spool” (as shown in an above photo).  Allow the brown ”spool” area to set/dry (1-2 hours) before adding the “thread” color.  Fill in with the ”thread” color, in this case blue or green.  Allow that section to set (1-2 hours) before adding the final detailing, the top layer of “thread” in a thicker/piping consistency.  I also added a thin line on the “spool” with a brown edible marker to add just a bit more definition.

My favorite cookies from this set were the two centerpiece cookies (inspired by Maryann/ Cookie Artisan’s centerpiece cookies).  I outlined each cookie in two different colors (allowing a little drying time between colors) then flooded the cookie in white.  When that base was dry I used piping consistency icing and a #1 tip to pipe my messages to resemble embroidery.

When I mentioned to my daughter (Grace) that I was making some cookies for her sewing teacher she said that I should make a cookie that looked like a sewing machine.  I didn’t think I had the skills to do that in a way that would actually look like a sewing machine, but I said she could do it!  So I outlined and flooded a square cookie, allowed it to dry overnight, then let her bring her idea to life using edible markers.  I love that she was braver than I was!  And I think she did an adorable job (see her cookie below)!   P.S.  Any comments you have on her cookie I’ll gladly pass along to her.

Do you love sewing and love cookies?  Here are some great sewing and quilt cookies from cookie friends around the web…
Sweet Sugar Belle - (Button Cookies and 3-D Sewing Machine Cookies)
Bakerella – Button Cookies
The Bearfoot Baker – Sewing Cookies
Cookie Crazie- Quilt & Sewing Cookie Collection
Sugar and Meringue – Granny Square Cookies (crochet style cookie)

Happy Stitching Piping!

60 Responses to “Sewing and Quilt Cookies”

MarlaQuack — May 13, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Wonderful!

Haniela — May 13, 2012 at 7:26 pm

These are adorable!

Cecilia — May 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Thank you so much for the cookies! I really appreciate them and will also enjoy eating them! Love you!

Larissa — May 13, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Wow! These are amazing!!! I'm not surprised Cecilia loved them so much!! … And yes, your daughter is VERY talented! You've another cookie decorator there in her!!! Thanks for the 'how to's'!!!

regan — May 13, 2012 at 7:52 pm

These cookies are all so fabulous! And Grace's sewing machine is perfect! I love that she added the little stitches, too! That's sweet! Way to go, Grace!

Debbie — May 13, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I love these sewing cookies! Very cute! And I love your daughter's cookie.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives — May 13, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Sooo adorable!! Grace's sewing machine design is perfect!! Great Job!!

Lissa (The Wedding Bistro at Bellenza) — May 13, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Just had to share this link on our FB page! These adorable cookies would be perfect for a sewing-themed bridal shower, too!

Joy Adams — May 13, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I love this post and I love Grace's cookie. Her cookie looks just like a sewing maching. I am so proud of her accomplishments. Way to go Glory and Grace.

Shaile's Edible Art — May 13, 2012 at 10:41 pm

These are so adorable.. the pastel colors are just great… you do awesome work…

Sharnel — May 14, 2012 at 12:01 am

I adore these cookies Glory, tell Grace that her cookie is my favourite. x

Daphne — May 14, 2012 at 2:34 am

They look gorgeous, your work is just amazing and vert "detailed"

Susie — May 14, 2012 at 3:54 am

My sewing room is as important to me as my kitchen! I have taught many people to sew, and received many thank yous, but these totally rock! Adorable, and the sweetest colors.

Cookie Friend (Diane) — May 14, 2012 at 4:41 am

Cookies and counted cross stitch are my favorite hobbies, so obviously this set of cookies really appealed to me. I'm so glad that Grace enjoys the same hobbies as her Mom.

cookies and cups — May 14, 2012 at 4:46 am

Very sweet cookies!

Cookbook Queen — May 14, 2012 at 5:26 am

Absolutely adorable. I think the spools of thread are my favorite!!

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more — May 14, 2012 at 6:06 am

sew cute, LOL. Love them

Karen - Trilogy Edibles — May 14, 2012 at 6:54 am

These are so awesome. I love quilted cookies. And tell your daughter her sewing machine is fabulous!

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} — May 14, 2012 at 6:56 am

Adorable!! Just perfect in every way!!!

MyCakeSchool.com — May 14, 2012 at 8:21 am

I am in love with these!!

MyCakeSchool.com — May 14, 2012 at 8:24 am

Ha! Sorry Glory! I just triple posted the same comment! :0) But I do triple love them.

IFeelCook — May 14, 2012 at 10:32 am

Such cute cookies! I love them all :)
    I also remember my mother knitting when I was a child and now I love it too. In fact, some weeks ago I made these granny square cookies http://www.ifeelcook.es/post/17257128250/granny-square-cookies :) I hope you like them!

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — May 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

BEAUTIFUL cookies & colors!

Minnie Kitchen — May 14, 2012 at 12:07 pm

These are so cute! The spools of threads and button cookies are my favorites :)

Sue — May 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I LOVE this cookie set! Thanks for the tutorial. What a great idea to let Grace design the sewing machine cookie! She did a fabulous job:)

Jaclyns Cookies — May 14, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Adorable cookie collection! Love all of the quilt designs, and great job to Grace on the sewing machine! I know I wouldn't have been brave enough :)

inma — May 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Tus galletas son una preciosidad, bueno todo lo que haces son maravillas. Bss!!

Melanie — May 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I see cookie talent must run in the family! Great job Grace (and Mom)! I'm sure your teacher loved them!

Jana A. — May 14, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Hi Glory! I love these cookies!! They are wonderful!! I know some quilters who would LOVE them. :)

Ashleigh — May 15, 2012 at 12:02 am

These are adorable! This post made me want to sew and make cookies at the same time!!! (Oh wait, I need a new machine!) The little spools of thread are my favorite! Beautifully done, as always!

The BearFoot Baker — May 15, 2012 at 4:54 am

When you told me you were going to make sewing cookies I was so excited to see them! I LOVE them! They are PERFECT!!

Val — May 15, 2012 at 6:53 am

I've had a picture of button cookies saved for years, but now that I see your thread spool cookies, I know it is time to make a batch. These are adorable. :)

Sandy — May 15, 2012 at 11:17 am

Hi, I saw thee on Pinterest and had to find out where they came from…I am now a follower! I haven't started making cookies yet, just getting the supplies little by little, cannot wait to try this! Sandy at 521 Lake Street

julie desmeules — May 15, 2012 at 11:22 am

Too cute for words! Simply amazing…

SugarFairy — May 15, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Gloria:

Love this set…the colors are absolutely amazing!! Thanks for showing how you did them!!!

mlw — May 15, 2012 at 8:16 pm

this is so adorable, i have a friend who just started quilting and i can't wait to bake these for her :) great idea!

buggalcrafts — May 16, 2012 at 6:04 am

Sew cute! I've recently saw an old fashioned sewig machine cookie cutter on-line!

Nesha — May 16, 2012 at 7:27 am

Breath taking cookies! So so sweet. I bet they taste good too ;).

Kelley — May 16, 2012 at 11:12 am

I, too, love sewing and have an 8 year old daughter who is starting to share my passion. What a wonderful idea to have her take some lessons on her own.

I LOVE the sewing machine cookie. It's very clever.

My other favourites are the spools of thread. They're cute!

Tracy — May 16, 2012 at 3:03 pm

These cookies are so awesome! I just learned how to quilt last year and don't get around to doing it as often as I like. Love these quilt cookies; they are adorable.

La cocina de Camilni — May 17, 2012 at 9:31 am

toda una preciosidad Cecilia se abrá quedado con la boca abierta al verlas.

Anonymous — May 17, 2012 at 11:28 am

I just love these and just so perfect for Mother's Day!!!!

Grace!!!!!!!! Your mom is going to have to give you a column in her blog – your sewing machine is AMAZING! I'm so impressend!!! Give your mom a hug from me!!!!

Maryann

Amanda — May 17, 2012 at 8:46 pm

They are so adorable.

Cathleen — May 17, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I can't believe how some people have such a talent at decorating cookies. These look fabulous!

Suzanne — May 17, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Love these cookies! Quilt patterns have been such an inspiration for my cake projects! Can't wait to try with cookies, too!

Sneha... — May 18, 2012 at 1:02 am

This is awesome!!

Kayla — May 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm

LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE! Huge fan! Please check out my blog

Trinette — May 20, 2012 at 8:50 am

Grace did an amazing job on the sewing machine! She is absolutely adorable!

Added these to the bucket list! It's getting longer! ;)

חתולי8 — May 21, 2012 at 11:29 am

ohhhhhh, I am really in love now…. it looks amazing!
    Lior

SweetSugarBelle — May 21, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Oh Grace! That is the most adorable sewing cookie I've ever seen! You make me do proud! You're such a little artist!!!

Jenny — May 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm

These are adorable. I love the flowers and dots. I'm laughing, because I have also tried paisley quilt cookies myself, and it seems we only do one before we decide better of it. :-)

House of Pinheiro — May 27, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I loved this.. 2 of my biggest passion.. baking and sewing x

baizura abu bakar — August 28, 2012 at 8:42 am

I love to visit yr blog. My eyes cannot stop to see each your creations, How nice all the cookies and I know u make it with love. That’s mean the sugar cookies u decorate look perfect. Keep up your good job. Thanks alot for showing the tips. I luv your blog very,very much. May God Bless u Always. Take care

Diane C — October 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm

The cookies are fantastic!! I’ve seen quilt cookies before, but none of them have looked as good as yours along with the spools and buttons. How fortunate for your friend and Grace’s sewing teacher that the two of you think so much of them to do all this work. Please tell Grace she did a super job with the sewing machine. She even drew stitches along the edge of the fabric!! Hmm, I think she’ll not only be a great seamstress, but a cookie decorator too. I love to know that children are learning these skills that will bring them happiness throughout their life.

Allison K. — May 20, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Absolutely adore these & aiming to make some for my (quilt-loving mom) before my next trip home! :)

Toy de Jager — November 10, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I love it!! how long can I store this type of cookie?

1. Pingback: 25 Craft-Inspired Desserts That Are (Almost) Too Cute To Eat - EyeOnCelebs

2. Pingback: 25 Craft-Inspired Desserts That Are (Almost) Too Cute To Eat | シ最愛遲到.!

3. Pingback: 25 Craft-Inspired Desserts That Are (Almost) Too Cute To Eatdaylish.com | daylish.com