Lucky Rainbow Jello

We don’t usually do much around our house to “celebrate” St. Patrick’s Day… but I figure that any day I can eat something rainbow colored, with a chocolate coin on top is a good day in my book!

I’ve posted Rainbow Jello before, in fact it’s one of my favorite (and most popular) posts.  This is simply a mini version, dressed up for St. Patrick’s Day with a chocolate gold coin.

~ How to Make Rainbow Jello ~

You’ll need 1 small box of jello in each color (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple).

1 large container of cool whip (you may use sour cream or yogurt in place of the cool whip).

You might notice I skipped yellow for these because I wasn’t sure I’d be able to fit 6 colors in these small glasses.  The glasses shown are 5 oz. juice glasses, you’ll have to make adjustments as needed depending on the size of glasses you use.

Follow these directions for each layer…

Chose the color you want on the bottom (in this case purple).  Dissolve jello as directed on the box using the “quick chill” method (which includes some ice).  Once dissolved, pour the liquid into your glasses, reserving about 1/3 of the jello liquid.  Put all of the glasses in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes, until jello is slightly set.  Mix about 1/3 cup cool whip (sour cream or yogurt) into the remaining jello liquid.  Pour cool whip/jello mixture on top of partially set first layer.  Place all cups in the refrigerator and allow to set (at least 15-30 minutes) while you mix the next color.

Repeat process with each color, allowing each layer to set 15-30 minutes before adding another layer.  The total process will take several hours.

Top the finished rainbow jello with a dollop of cool whip, or whipped cream and add a chocolate gold coin.

Have a sweet and colorful week!

63 Responses to “Lucky Rainbow Jello”

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com — March 4, 2012 at 4:12 pm

So pretty…love this!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 4, 2012 at 5:18 pm

This is just beautiful!

Carrie — March 4, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Such a cute idea. My kids went nuts seeing the photos.

Sherri D. — March 4, 2012 at 6:21 pm

We had this at our wedding shower some 27 years ago and how the recipe has changed (for the better and easier). The recipe that our family has is not with Cool-Whip except for the very top layer and the layers in between were sour cream and clear gelatin. Obviously, not quite as tasty as the revamped recipe!!! Thanks for sharing, I will be "updating" my files! LOL!

KT — March 4, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Where did you get the chocolate gold coins?

Adia — March 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm

SUPER CUTE!!!! Wish I wasn't busy that weekend or I would so make these! I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

Adia — March 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm

actually this is not Adia – this is amy.

Joy Adams — March 4, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Mmmmmm. This looks great. I usually do like to do something for St. Patrick's Day. Perhaps I will give this a try. I love you.

Jen L. — March 4, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Oh, these are just way too cute! Definitely making these for St Pattys Day.

One question, after pouring the jello/cool whip mixture on top of the jello layer, do the glasses go back to the fridge or do I pour in the new color jello?

Candy — March 4, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Wonderful idea for St Patrick! TY!

Angela A. — March 5, 2012 at 1:57 am

Geez, i love anything rainbow. This is so adorable.

Anonymous — March 5, 2012 at 2:26 am

What is cool whip? It's not available in the UK so could you use heavy cream instead?

Laura — March 5, 2012 at 6:02 am

STOP IT!

JUST STOP IT!!!!!!

I wish this was my idea because it is FABULOUS.

And I will make it.
    I do everything you do.
    I want to be you :-)

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — March 5, 2012 at 6:04 am

so cute, and I love it.

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — March 5, 2012 at 6:33 am

What a wonderfully cute idea! And, beautiful presentation :)

cookies and cups — March 5, 2012 at 10:01 am

How cute! What a fun spin on your original :)

miss b — March 5, 2012 at 10:12 am

These are stunning! What a cute selection of colours.

mireia badia — March 5, 2012 at 10:14 am

You always have the best ideas, love it!!!

Kelly-Jane — March 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Beautiful presentation!

thelittleloaf — March 5, 2012 at 12:37 pm

These are inspired!

Casey — March 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Although, it is time consuming, it is so worth it. They are beauties.

SnuggleBunnie — March 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

wow those are pretty and would be fun for our home school. Thanks for sharing.

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — March 5, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Pretty! ..and pretty cool! :)

Carrie - Carrie's Creations — March 6, 2012 at 9:16 am

I tried making rainbow jello once.. it was NOT pretty. Maybe if I tried smaller glasses it would be easier?

Kristen — March 6, 2012 at 10:46 am

These are so awesome – what a great idea!

Shaina — March 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I love these, Glory! The gold coin on top really seals the deal.

Norms — March 7, 2012 at 6:12 am

thank you for making this much more approachable!! I'm gonna try this, this week!!!

Veronica — March 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

These are so adorable. My moms birthday is St. Patrick's Day so I've been looking for cute food ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Sue — March 7, 2012 at 5:34 pm

A showstopper! What a fun treat to dig your spoon into!

Diana Dickert — March 8, 2012 at 6:36 am

Wow! This is so creative, with the different colors and the coin-like chocolate! It looks so tasty that you want to grab a bite of it when you see it! Haha!

With Style and Grace — March 8, 2012 at 7:56 am

wow, these are beautiful!!

Christine — March 10, 2012 at 4:16 am

My daughter's birthday theme this year is ''rainbows'' I LOVE your jello rainbow!

Do you think you could share it over at The DIY Dreamer :) It would make my day :)

TidyMom — March 10, 2012 at 5:43 am

adorable Glory!!

Thanks for linking up to I'm Lovin It! I featured your post in my wrap up! http://tidymom.net/2012/st-patricks-day-recipes/

Have a great weekend!

Amanda — March 10, 2012 at 5:44 am

Ohhhh that is sooo pretty!

rebecca @ beurrista — March 10, 2012 at 7:10 am

I love this idea!

Tami — March 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Just stopping by to let you know that I've featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
    featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

Christina — October 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm

These are beautiful and you are talented. I decided to make these for my daughters Rainbow Birthday. I made these along with other things I thought would be not too hard. What did I discover? I am not Martha Stewart. My desserts look nothing like yours. The whipped topping was messy and separated from the jello smearing my glasses. I showed my husband your pictures of the rainbow dessert after he saw mine and we both burst out laughing. I admire talented people like you and I suppose I can vicariously read your blog imagining for a brief moment that I too am talented. But alas its a dream and I suppose I better admit defeat and just buy premade delights from talented people like you.

Cheers!

• Glory replied: — October 22nd, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

This dessert does take quite a bit of time and patience. Don’t give up! Kepp trying baking and decorative food projects, and you will certainly improve!

Courtney G. — March 3, 2013 at 12:37 am

These are beautiful. About how many cups did you fill with a box of each colored Jell-O?

Theresa — March 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm

D you think this would work in clear plastic cups? I’d like to try it for my sons preschool snack. Thanks!

Melinda — March 12, 2013 at 1:36 pm

How many glasses did you use for this recipe?

Lisa — March 14, 2013 at 4:04 am

Love that PBT is now posting more of your pics AND linking back to you! You must be getting lots more views now, how exciting Glory! Congrats!

Christine — March 16, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I made these in plastic cups for my preschooler’s snack day. They were a huge hit! I sent in a book about rainbows with the snack too! Some tips for others: #1: mixing the whip cream with some of the liquid jello (a step i skipped at first) makes it easier to spread in between the colored jello layers. I also started using a cake decorating tool for layering the whip cream for the last few layers and those looked a lot better than the first few layers. #2: yes- these do take several hours so I did 3 layers on day one and 3 on day two but don’t forget you can use the quick set method! Just be sure to let EACH layer(including the CREAM layer) to set for at least 20 minutes! #3: be sure the whip cream layer covers the entire jello layer and has chilled for 20 minutes BEFORE adding the next jello layer. My first attempt was not pretty b/c I tried to rush this step! Hope this helps! Thanks for your beautiful pics! They were an inspiration!

Christine — March 16, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Also- for those who asked- I filled 20 plastic cups- the cups flared out at the top so one box of purple and blue at the bottom was enough but I needed two boxes of the other colors since the cups got wider at the top. I also used one large tub if whip cream.

Melissa — February 19, 2014 at 2:09 pm

What a great way to kick off St. Patrick’s Day ideas, and provide some inspiration for me! I think I’ll feature this on my blog this morning! I hope you’ll stop by, and visit. Thank you for sharing such a fun idea!

1. Pingback: Lucky Rainbow Jello | Copycat Crafts

2. Pingback: St. Patrick’s Day Ideas– Create and Share!

3. Pingback: Rainbow Jello | Perfect for St Patricks Day - SheSaved®

4. Pingback: Boho Pins - Rainbow Weddings

5. Pingback: St Patrick's Day Recipes | St Patrick's Day Recipes For Kids

6. Pingback: Ideas para la fiesta de San Patricio

7. Pingback: 10 St. Patrick’s Day D.I.Y. Projects | Fossil Blog

8. Pingback: St. Patrick's Day Treats - ItsySparks

9. Pingback: Lucky Rainbow Jello – St Patty`s Day Idea from Glorious Treats | daily-pins.com

10. Pingback: Lucky Rainbow Jello – St Patty`s Day Idea from Glorious Treats | Foods, Drink & Recipes

11. Pingback: Rainbow Birthday Party Ideas and Inspiration | Plus One Baby and Parenting Blog

12. Pingback: 50+ Rainbow Treats

13. Pingback: Gossip Girl Episode Guide | www.sacxtra.com

14. Pingback: Lucky Rainbow Jello

15. Pingback: Things I Love: St. Patrick’s Day Treats

16. Pingback: 7 Fun St. Patrick's Day Crafts to Do With Your Kids | My Kids' Adventures

17. Pingback: 5 Days of Green: Emerald | One hundred minus one day

18. Pingback: 25 Rainbow-colored foods to dazzle your eyes and taste buds | My Blog