Lemon Thumbprint Cookies {Recipe}

Earlier this week I posted a delicious homemade lemon curd recipe and promised to be back soon to share some recipe that include this delicious treat.  I’ll start off with these pretty little Lemon Thumbprint Cookies.  These delicious cookies are quite easy to make, and could be made with either store bought, or homemade lemon curd.  These are sure to be a hit with any lemon lovers, and I think they would be a perfect cookie to include on a tea party menu.

Lemon Thumbprint Cookies

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter

1/2 cup powdered sugar (plus a little extra for dusting the finished cookies)

1/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest

1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 cups all purpose flour

3/4 cup prepared lemon curd (store bought or homemade)

Directions ~

Beat butter in a large bowl until smooth.  Add sugars and continue mixing.  Add egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla.  Mix until fully incorporated.  Add baking powder, and then flour (slowly, while mixing).   Stop mixing as soon as the flour is fully incorporated.  Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator about 1 hour.

Place lemon curd into a small ziplock bag, and cut off one corner of the bag.

When the dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350*F.  Roll small balls of dough and place on a silpat lined, or parchment lined baking sheet.  Flatten balls of dough slightly with the palm of your hand.  Use your thumb to create a crater in the center of the dough.  Fill crater with about 1 teaspoon of lemon curd.

Bake cookies about 15 minutes, or until cookie edges are just turning golden brown.  Remove from oven, cool slightly, then move to a wire cooling rack to cool fully.  Dust cookies with powdered sugar.

(Note- I found that when I dusted the cookies with powdered sugar, the sugar fully covered the lemon filling.  I wanted the filling to show up a bit, so I dipped one finger into a small bowl of water, then just slightly moistened the lemon filling.  Then, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and the sugar will only be visible just the cookie portion.)

Recipe yields about 3 dozen cookies

Recipe source- Women’s Day

If you happen to be planning a tea party, here are a few more delicious recipes that could be included on your menu…

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Cucumber and Tomato Tea Sandwiches

Lemony Lemon Bread

35 Responses to “Lemon Thumbprint Cookies {Recipe}”

So Domesticated — January 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

These cookies are beautiful…. great use of the lemon curd you posted earlier!

manu — January 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

Sounds good! I love lemons

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 25, 2012 at 11:58 am

These sound lovely! Yum!

Candy — January 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm

These look delicious! I love anything with lemon curd.

Jo — January 25, 2012 at 12:16 pm

These look so good! Yum!

miss b — January 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I've been looking forward to your recipes with the lemon curd and these look delicious! Thanks for the recipe.
    PS What a gorgeous cup and saucer.

Canterbury Cakes — January 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I love lemon curd! Such beautiful photography.

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more — January 25, 2012 at 2:29 pm

so pretty!

Dinx — January 25, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I see you've put that yummy lemon curd to good use! How delicious do these look?

Dinx @ Lovely in Random xoxo

CraftyLoops — January 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm

These look scrumptious. Lee xx

SweetSugarBelle — January 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm

These are so tempting!!! I love lemon flavored baked goods. I'll have to try these soon!

Daphne — January 26, 2012 at 12:10 am

Lovely, I love lemon cookies~~~

Leslie — January 26, 2012 at 7:55 am

LOVE a good bright and lemony cookie!!!

Elizabeth — January 26, 2012 at 9:10 am

Yum!!!

Allisca — January 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm

delicious!!!

claudia b — January 26, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Yum, I need to make these for my mom and me, we're the only ones who love lemons :D

Nydia — January 26, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I always wanted to make thumbprint cookies, but still baking chocolate chip cookies over and over again. I want to make this one…I really want.

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — January 26, 2012 at 8:55 pm

The cookies look yummy..and i really love your photos! :)

Summer from SWEEThearts Community — January 27, 2012 at 8:59 am

I love the tea set featured in this post, so darling!

The Cookie Basket — January 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Big Lemon Curd fan! Mom asked for cookies at the nursing home. Think I'll go make these NOW :) I know they will be a hit! Thanks so much for the idea! And they ARE so pretty!

Andrea — January 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Made these today (and a batch using raspberry jam in the "print") So very good…it is such a delicate cookies! Yum!

Geni — January 31, 2012 at 1:50 pm

What beautiful and delectable cookies! Lemon meringue pie is my hubby's favorite dessert in the world so I am fairly certain these would be a new cookie favorite! BTW…your tutorial on frosting cupcakes has totally taken my cupcake frosting to new levels. Thanks a million!

JulieD — January 31, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I love these and I have a jar of lemon curd…must try this! I'm way into lemon desserts lately and this is right up my alley!

Cecilia — February 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I really like thumbprint cookies. I've never made lemon ones though, I'll have to try that next time! Thanks for the idea! Love you!

Susan S. — February 4, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I made these lovely cookies tonight and they looked beautiful. I would recommend either using salted butter or adding a little salt to the cookie dough to enhance the flavor. Also, make sure that your butter is room temperature. This is very important because if it is cold (as I found out)the butter will end up in clumps in the dough no matter how long you beat it before adding the sugar. The clumps of butter in the dough will melt during baking and your cookies will have uneven edges.

The lemon curd was very tart, which was okay with me because I'm a tart lemon lover. However, if you want it a bit sweeter, you may want to use 1/2 cup sugar. Definitely worth making though. Loved this recipe. Thanks for sharing, Glory.

Jamie — February 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I just discovered your blog and I have been pinning things to Pinterest like crazy. I love baking and your tips are great. I can't pass up anything with lemon and these cookies would go great with a cup of tea.

Can't wait to explore your blog more.

Anonymous — February 21, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Can you please let me know if they can be frozen

Tina — February 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

Can you please let me know if these cookies can be frozen

Christina — April 25, 2012 at 7:58 am

Great blog,I just discovered it from TomKat. I have tried this recipe twice in the past. I used store bought lemon curd. Can you tell me what is the secret to keeping the curd from running out all over the cookie?

Debbie — December 10, 2012 at 1:56 am

I made these tonight and they’re so pretty and delicious! I tried the trick with using water to keep the sugar from covering the lemon curd and it didn’t work so well. Instead, I held a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon over the lemon as I shook the powdered sugar on the cookies. A little of the sugar ended up on the lemon, but not much. Thanks for another great recipe!

Christina Gomez — August 11, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I made these last night …. Delicious ! Thank you for sharing :)

TerryB — June 20, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Just made these and they are fabulous! Try the damp finger AFTER you put the the sugar on, came out perfect.

1. Pingback: Lemon Thumbprint Cookies | the quiet baker