4th of July Stained Glass Cookies

Aren’t these cookies amazing?

I can say that so easily because I didn’t make them, my good friend Callye of The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle did!   Today I’m sharing my blog with Callye… by that I mean she did all the work, but I’m posting it, sounds good to me!

Take it away Callye….

***************************************************************************

Callye of The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle here with a fun twist on traditional 4th of July cookies.

There are many different kinds of friendships, but for me there is something extra special about having a creative friend.  Someone who understands all of the idea running through my head, and who can visualize what I see, help me make it come to life, and generally understand my craziness.  I have found this in Glory.  Our personalities really complement one another’s.  Thanks Glory for sharing your site with me today!

Ok, ready to make some cookies?

~How to make stained glass star cookies ~

• You’ll need…
  • Two star cutters, a large one for the cookie and a smaller one to make the middle cut-out
  • Red and blue hard candies, crushed (I used Jolly Ranchers)
  • Wooden skewers, preferably flat sided (not round)
  • White royal icing, piping consistency, with a #2 tip

First, crush the candy in a plastic bag with a hammer or mallet.  My kiddos love helping with this!

For the cookies cut large stars out of your favorite cookie dough and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Then cut them again with the smaller cutter and remove the middle.  I used toothpicks to help me out.

After the centers are removed, fill them with crushed candy.  The easiest way I found to do this was to pour the candy onto a piece of waxed paper, fold it in half and use that as a little “spout”.  Again, use a toothpick to spread it into the points.

Bake as usual.  Remove the cookies from the oven. The candy will be very hot and bubbly.  Most of the bubbles will disappear as the cookies cool.

When they are completely cool, remove from baking sheet and decorate as desired.  I wanted to make a centerpiece with the cookies, so I used some thick royal icing to attach flat wooden skewers to the backs of the cookies.  You can also simply serve the cookies on a platter, without any sticks.

To finish, use the white icing to pipe a dotty border around the inside and outside edges of the stars.

After they are dry, tie coordinating ribbon on the skewer. Arrange them in a pretty container using floral foam to keep them in place.   To finish, use crinkle paper to disguise the floral foam and you’ll have a beautiful and edible Independence Day centerpiece.

***************************************************************************

Thank you Callye!  What fun it is to have such a talented and generous friend!

Need more creative cookie ideas?  Make sure to visit Callye over on her site,

The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle.

24 Responses to “4th of July Stained Glass Cookies”

Nica — June 29, 2011 at 1:11 am

Oh, I'd love to try that next time! :)

Misc Momma — June 29, 2011 at 5:31 am

I have cookie dough (and leftover icing) all ready for me to make cookies for this weekend. I think I will definitely try some of these. Wonder what happens if you mix the red & blue together… Does the candy go back to hard crack like a Jolly Rancher, or more chewy?

DreamgirlLisa — June 29, 2011 at 5:49 am

What a wonderful collaboration ladies!! They are really beautiful cookies! I so appreciate both of you for all your help and willingness to share ideas, recipes, etc. I have gone to both of your blogs countless times for help when I was trying something new or just needed some inspiration!!

Sue — June 29, 2011 at 7:34 am

Two heads are better than one, right? :) The cookies are gorgeous! LOVE the light shining through:)

Sweet Tooth Desserts — June 29, 2011 at 9:38 am

These are super cute and very simple to make!! You and Callye did an awesome job, it's so cool that you two have such a great cookie friendship (so to speak)!!

At Anna's kitchen table — June 29, 2011 at 9:46 am

Oh,what lovely presentation!

Heather McMullin — June 29, 2011 at 10:10 am

These cookie are so beautiful!

Hugs!
    Heather

Lark (SparkyLarky) — June 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

Love them! So cute!

Cristin (Pinkie) — June 29, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I opened this and took one look at them and said these are so pretty and was about to close it thinking that it was way too difficult and then I read on and saw that it is actually something I could probably handle! Fantastic job on the tutorial as always Callye! Thanks for sharing. I love that you and Glory collaborated on this project. Now this floral foam… I tried to buy some at Michaels a while back and they told me that it wouldn't work for a cookie bouquet because it is meant to get wet and use with flowers. They said that if I tried to stick a cookie stick into it, it would fall apart. Maybe I'll have to ignore them and give it a try… ;-) Thanks for the fun post and beautiful cookies!

Canterbury Cakes — June 30, 2011 at 1:40 am

Such a great idea – thanks for sharing

Teri — June 30, 2011 at 3:53 am

Love this idea!

Army Wife Quilter — June 30, 2011 at 8:24 am

wow cool effect it makes when you cook the candy into the cookie center. wowow owowowowowowowowo.

Jennifer Watkins — June 30, 2011 at 8:26 am

Beautiful!! I was just looking into Isomalt, and this looks way easier!!
    Thanks again for a wonderful post!!

@Cristin (Pinkie)..
    You should totally ignore that person! I have used the flower foam to make a candy bouquet, and it turned out fabulous (If I do say so myselft :)
    Some of the people can be so narrow minded!

Paula..SweetHarts Cakes and Bakes — July 2, 2011 at 1:15 pm

What a great idea,they look very pretty!

B — July 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Always wanted to know how to do the stained glass. Thanks for the recipe!
    -B

Czarina — July 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Mmmm looks yummy.<3(:

Sher — July 4, 2011 at 8:50 am

I love this arrangement! These cookies are too cute. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous — July 4, 2011 at 11:14 pm

We used the betty crocker sugar cookie mix and followed the recipe part for cut out cookies and the dough was way too sticky and gooey! We ended up running out of time to try to fix it so I have a bunch of crunched up candy and no cookies! :( I am going to go to the store tomorrow and get some pre-made cookie dough and see if that will work better. What cookie recipe did you use for the cookie part of yours?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — July 4, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Anonymous- I would never recommend using a pre-made dough for cut-out cookies, it usually doesn't hold up very well, or keep it's shape when baked. I have my cookie recipe posted under "recipes" (on my top right sidebar). Here is the link, http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2010/03/making-sugar-cookies-recipe-and-tips.html It is a delicious dough and very easy to work with. Best of luck!

Mali — September 20, 2011 at 3:37 am

Late post, I know XD But I just got around to go through your old updates, and… I love this idea. I was thinking of doing something similar to my cousin's son's baptism. However, at the end of the post, I spot some cookies (I think) with blue 'glassy' tops… and they're so cute.

How do you make them?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — September 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

@Mali- The little blue cookies around the cookie bouquet are covered with blue royal icing, and then disco dust, an edible glitter.

'Kitty' — June 26, 2012 at 1:22 am

For ‘Misc Momma’…if you haven’t done it already, if you mix the red & blue candy, when it melts, you’ll get putple.

'Kitty' — June 26, 2012 at 1:23 am