Tea with Cecilia

Over the past 15 years or so, I have enjoyed high tea at most every tea shop in northern California.  Most of those pretty meals were shared with two good friends, Esther and Cecilia.

Esther (top), Cecilia (left), Glory (Me) (right) enjoying tea- 2005

Last week Cecilia was in town (she lives 8 hours away), and I took the opportunity to prepare a special tea party, just for us. (Unfortunately Esther- who also lives out of town, was unable to join us).

It was a busy week, so I wasn’t able to make everything from scratch, but I made some delicious tea sandwiches, mini fruit salads and mixed in several store bought treats.

Did you notice, the table cloth has cupcakes and polka-dots on it!!  How cute is that?!  Mine was a gift from a friend, but I found them online here.

~Menu ~

Peach-Apricot Tea

Cranberry Scones

Cucumber Tomato Tea Sandwiches (recipe below)

Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwiches (recipe HERE)

Fresh Fruit Salad

Lemon Bars

Chocolate Dipped Madeleines

Giant Pastel Malt Balls

Chocolate Toffee Almonds

The scones, lemon bars and toffee almonds (all delicious) were from Trader Joe’s.  The chocolate dipped Madeleines were from Starbucks.

~Cucumber Tomato Tea Sandwiches ~

These simple sandwiches are a delicious variation on the classic cucumber tea sandwich, and are always on the menu when I host a tea party.

English cucumber, thinly sliced

Tomato, thinly sliced

Garden vegetable cream cheese (or another savory variety of flavored cream cheese)

Nice quality, fresh wheat bread

Spread a thin layer of flavored cream cream on bread, add slices of cucumber and tomato and top with another slice of bread (also spread with cream cheese).  Trim crust off edges of sandwich and cut into four small squares.  Serve immediately, or if needed, cover with a very slightly moist dish towel and refrigerate up to one hour.

The next time I prepare a special brunch I may try this delicious looking Banana Bread Pudding recipe from Reader’s Digest as an addition to the menu.

One of my favorite things about tea parties is eating beautiful food in smaller portions, so you can enjoy lots of different treats.  And sharing a meal with a good friend is always extra special.

I’d love to hear about the places you’ve enjoyed tea with friends.

23 Responses to “Tea with Cecilia”

Joy — May 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Oh it all looks yummy and perfectly girly. I just love it.

cca319 — May 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm

It looks so… Yummy!

Stephanie — May 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm

This is truly a girl's dream come true

Devadeva Mirel — May 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm

pretty pretty pretty

Sandra — May 2, 2011 at 12:25 am

Oh! It looks lovely!

Диана — May 2, 2011 at 12:29 am

coooool photos ))

Butter Hearts Sugar — May 2, 2011 at 2:04 am

Such a beautiful table set up, everything looks so prettty. Your friend is very lucky.

lisa — May 2, 2011 at 3:59 am

I will never forget having tea in London. It was so special and delicious. When my daughter was little we had "tea" everyday in her little silver teapot. Very special memories.
    theenchantedoven.blogspot.com

Gwynn @ Gwynn Wasson Designs — May 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

So beautiful (and yummy)!!

Liat — May 2, 2011 at 11:13 am

Love your display…
    I just made a tea cup cookies for a fundraiser (wasn't easy). Here is a link http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/photo.php?fbid=211761378848802&set;=pu.158613500830257&type;=1

SweetSugarBelle — May 2, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I cannot wait til it's my turn…and best yet I wanna help you make our tea! I gu so proud when I look at how beautiful you make things. You are more special than you know!!!

cristallodizucchero — May 3, 2011 at 7:26 am

all these lovely things just for the 2 of you?!? I whish I were there to share…. :-)

Medifast Coupons — May 3, 2011 at 7:57 am

Everything looks so pretty. I must order myself one of those table clothes so cute. Thanks for the idea with some visiting friends next week.

Amy and Family — May 4, 2011 at 10:32 am

My favorite tea time was with you and the girls. I enjoyed being with all of you and the banana scones were so good! I bought the recipe book and have tried to make them 2x to no avail.

Maria Nelson — June 23, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I've looked all over for those gorgeous malt balls. Where can I find them?

Roshini — November 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

Glory, I just love your treat stands. & of course the stuff on it looks YUMMY

tqualls — January 14, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I agree with Maria. Those pastel malted milk ball are BEAUTIFUL!!! Please share where you found them. I am a part of a monthly Bible study and tea time. Our hostess LOVES malted milk balls. I would love to have these as a surprise for her in April or May. Thank you!

Deborah — March 29, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Your afternoon tea fare looks super yummy! If you have had “high tea” at other tea shops, you’ve most likely had bangers and mash, steak and kidney casserole, and beer; in other words, a complete meal. The two terms are often confused and afternoon tea is what you made for your friend. If you only have tea and scones or tea and a dessert, it is called a cream tea. I hope this clears up the confusion about the tea terms.

Laurel Ray — June 23, 2013 at 12:47 am

My mother loves finding tea rooms wherever we go. She has shared that love with me. When it came time to plan my wedding here in Chattanooga, TN, we found the perfect venue, The Tea Cottage. I can’t wait to share this tradition with my own daughter.

Makayla — August 17, 2013 at 3:13 am

it looks soo cool! I am planning a tea party and one of my friends is allergic to tomatoes and I was wondering if the cucumber sandwiches would still taste good with the same ingredients just without the tomatoes.? I’m so excited for my tea party!

• Glory replied: — August 19th, 2013 @ 1:59 am

Yes, the little sandwiches are very good with just cucumber (and cream cheese). If you like, you could add very thin slices of red or yellow bell pepper. Have a wonderful party!

1. Pingback: Tea for Two & Two for Tea « The Walkup