Strawberry Shortcake… Cake

Strawberry season is upon us, and since I live in California I’m extra blessed with an abundance of fresh strawberries easily available all summer long.  California produces 83% of the strawberries grown in the US (source) and my family enjoys more than our fair share!

Last week I felt the urge to make a cake, and I had some fresh strawberries that needed a home, so a cake version of Strawberry Shortcake seemed the perfect choice.  I’ve long been on a search for a perfect vanilla cake recipe, so I dug through my (gigantic!) pile of “recipes to try” and pulled out a recipe for White Butter Cake from The Joy of Baking.  I divided the batter into two 6″ cake pans, and reserved enough to make 3 cupcakes as well.  Some recipes can easily be made as both a large cake and cupcakes, but I wanted to test it as both in the name of research.

Once the cakes were baked, I sliced each cake layer into two, filled the cake with a fresh strawberry filling and then frosted the cake with real whipped cream.  The end result was a delicious summer treat!  I was quite happy with this cake recipe in the cake form, and although the flavor was just a good in cupcake form, I would rate the cupcakes as just “good” (by the second day the cupcakes were extremely dry).  In other words, I will keep this recipe for cakes, but continue my search for the perfect vanilla cupcake recipe.

This cake is a bit labor intensive, but is a labor of love that will produce delicious results sure to be appreciated by everyone lucky enough to get a piece.

~ Strawberry Shortcake… Cake ~

White Butter Cake
(recipe from Joy of Baking)

2 large eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup white sugar, divided (1/4 cup plus 3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

In a medium bowl, sift or whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

Separate the eggs, placing yolks in a small bowl, and put the whites in the bowl of your electric mixer.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy.  Add cream of tartar, and continue beating until soft peaks form.  Gradually add 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.  Scoop beaten egg whites into a medium bowl and set aside.

Now, using the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter until soft.  Add 3/4 cup of sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time.  Scrape down sides of bowl.  Add vanilla and beat until combined.  With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture and milk alternately, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour).

Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.  Do not over mix, or the egg whites will deflate.

Divide the batter evenly between two 8″ pans (or two 6″ pans with 3″ tall sides, if desired).

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350*F for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Strawberry Filling
(recipe by Glorious Treats)

1 basket/pint strawberries
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch
3 Tablespoons water

Chop/blend about half of the strawberries (5-7 strawberries) and the water in a food processor or blender. Pour the blended strawberries (and their juice) into a mesh strainer, sitting over a bowl. Use a large spoon or spatula to press the mixture through the strainer.

In a small saucepan, mix the sugar and cornstarch. Slowly add the strained strawberry juice, whisking to combine. Heat mixture to a boil and boil about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool.

Chop remaining strawberries into pea sized pieces and add to the cooled strawberry/sugar mixture. Chill until ready to use.

Fresh Whipped Cream

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Place the bowl and beater of your electric mixer in the freezer for 5 minutes (this will help the cream beat up faster).  Remove bowl and beater from freezer and pour in heavy cream.  Beat cream until it begins to thicken.  Slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla.  Continue to beat until stiff peaks form when beaters are raised from the bowl (this only takes a few minutes, but carefully not to over-beat).

*Note- if the finished cake will not be served for several hours, or in extra warm weather, use the Stabilized Whipped Cream recipe HERE - the addition of gelatin will help the whipped cream keep it’s shape for much longer than traditional whipped cream.

Cake Assembly~

Bake the cakes as directed.  Prepare the strawberry filling as cakes are baking, and put in the fridge.  When cakes are baked, and fully cooled, cut cakes in half, so you have four layers.  Add 1/3 of the strawberry filling between each layer.  Frost with freshly whipped cream.  Place cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.  This cake should be served the day it is made.  If you will be short on time the day you plan to serve the cake, you can prepare the cake layers and the strawberry filling a day ahead.  Keep cakes tightly wrapped in plastic wrap (on the counter), and store the strawberry filling in a bowl in the fridge.

Happy Strawberry Season!

37 Responses to “Strawberry Shortcake… Cake”

Sandra — May 15, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Very nice cake! Looks really tasty!

Sue — May 15, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Gorgeous cake! I just might need to try your recipe:) Here on the central coast we have some of the best strawberries!

Olivilla — May 16, 2011 at 1:09 am

OUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCH bye bye diet with this lovely cake!!!
    I will do it for my birthday party!
    UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM it looks great

spontaneous-euphoria — May 16, 2011 at 1:17 am

ohhhhhhh my God. the inside of that cake is HEAVEN. PURE HEAVEN.

Pineapple Muffin — May 16, 2011 at 2:47 am

Strawberry Shortcake is a tradition on my birthday! I LOOOOOOVVVVEEEE it! Might just have to try out this recipe!

Missy — May 16, 2011 at 4:18 am

I am going to have to try that! I found the best cupcake recipe from "Whimsical Bakehouse".

MyCakeSchool.com — May 16, 2011 at 5:47 am

Beautiful!!!! I LOVE This time of year for strawberries, and strawberry cake! :0)

Sweet Scarlet — May 16, 2011 at 6:12 am

Love vanilla cake recipes. Thanks for posting – love the cake stand too!

Kenni — May 16, 2011 at 6:27 am

I wish I wasn't the only person in my house who ate strawberries. This cake looks so yummy!

Red30 — May 16, 2011 at 7:10 am

This looks so delicious!!! I love how you have the strawberries arranged on stop of the cake, very pretty!!

At Anna's kitchen table — May 16, 2011 at 7:10 am

What a beautiful cake!

Amy and Family — May 16, 2011 at 8:07 am

Seriously??? Next time you make that one, you better call me. I want a bite! And of course, you managed to make it pretty too.

Laura in CA :) — May 16, 2011 at 11:02 am

That is a gorgeous cake!!! I am going to try that one asap!! I'd given up on a homemade non-chocolate cake recipe…they all end up so cornbread-textured. :( I am so excited that you found this one!! I'll be awaiting the cupcake recipe, too, as that's what I'd love to try!! Thanks for all the research you do!! :)

Lorraine — May 16, 2011 at 11:14 am

So delicious. I will have to try it. I didn't know that fact about California being such a large producer of strawberries! Thanks so much for sharing.

SweetSugarBelle — May 16, 2011 at 11:53 am

This is breathtaking, Glory-bee! I really love it!

Mikal — May 16, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I love your blog and your upbeat personality! Anyway, I know you probably get flooded with fabulous recipes and since I am a novice baker, you might not be impressed by the one I want to share. It's for a whipped cream frosting. THE-BEST-I-HAVE-EVER-EATEN. Yum! I was seriously licking the bowl! LOL! Anyway, here's the link: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Whipped-Cream-Cream-Cheese-Frosting/Detail.aspxYou might be tempted to mix it up, but if you make it exactly as written, you will think you have died and gone to heaven! Oh and I used regular sugar, not powerdered sugar. It's was a bit gritty when first made, but I let it sit for about 20 minutes and it was perfect!!!

Joy Adams — May 16, 2011 at 8:04 pm

This cake looks so good. I am super hungry for strawberries and whipped cream now. Your cake looks like a master piece.

celia Abou Zaki — May 17, 2011 at 5:44 am

i love love love your blog and all the sweetness it has. you are soo talented. Glad i found you ( and jealous too).

Chele — May 17, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Fantastic!

cookies and cups — May 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm

wowey!! That is so pretty!

Julie — May 19, 2011 at 10:49 am

OK, I'm dying. I buy strawberries at least once a week and NEVER find any as beautiful as these. Where did you find them????

And the cake looks absolutely dee-lish-us!!

Sarah-Lyn — May 19, 2011 at 11:52 am

Beauty!!! lovely photos and cake … tomorrow (May 20) is National Strawberry day :)

SL
    lovelygreenlifestyle.ca

Cakewhiz — May 20, 2011 at 12:06 am

I totally agree with you…. The best berries come around during this time of the year. You put those strawberries to good use in that beautiful shortcake. I bet it tastes just as good as it looks :)

Amy and Family — May 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Come on now. What, do you think it's summer break or something???? We want more glorious treats!

Marie — May 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm

That looks so delicious, especially since strawberry shortcake is my favorite cake! I have never made one and have always bought them from the store, but I should definitely try your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Karly — May 21, 2011 at 8:01 am

Oh, that is just beautiful with the bright red filling hiding out in each layer! Love it!

Adelina Priddis — May 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm

new follower from the Giveaway Corner. I think I may come here to drool a bit each day. That is so yummy looking!!

Susan — May 22, 2011 at 1:07 pm

My absolute favorite! And, what a lovely presentation!

Lisa — May 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm

That is a gorgeous cake!

Elizabeth Cull — June 6, 2011 at 11:28 am

You're so lucky right there, being in California blessed you with a lot of strawberries to use for a lot of delicious desserts to share with your peers! Another thing, true, it looks a bit labor intensive, but that was all worth every moment of making it!

Haniela — May 8, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I don't know how I missed this, it looks delicious, I wish we had the abundance of strawberries here too. Hopefully I will have time to make my favorite strawberry jam this year.

Loui — December 28, 2012 at 4:15 am

I discovered your website on facebook and have been addicted to all your marvelous creations since! This cake the most delicious I have ever made by far! Keep the recipies coming! :)

Sareena — June 26, 2013 at 2:47 am

Your cake looks absolutely delicious! I tried the recipe,and it tasted wonderful. I only had one problem is with the strawberry filling. When I made it, it came out to be a light pink and not red as you have it in the picture and I followed the recipe. Do you know how come it became like that and how I can fix it. Thanks!

• Glory replied: — July 1st, 2013 @ 11:17 pm

Hi Sareena, I used the recipe as listed (and didn’t add any extra coloring), but I did use farm fresh strawberries. Sometimes grocery store strawberries are white on the inside more than red, so that might have been an issue. If you can find strawberries from a farmers market they may be more deep red.

1. Pingback: Cutting Costs With Cake | Flat Broke Bride