Chocolate Rolled Cookies {Recipe}

Valentine’s season is one of my favorite times of year to make decorated cookies (second only to Christmas).  One thing I like about Valentine’s cookies is that you can get away with just a simple shape (a heart) and three colors (red, white, and pink) and still make some really special cookies.

For Valentine’s cookies I often set aside my “regular” sugar cookie recipe and make some delicious Chocolate rolled cookies.  In fact, this recipe is so delicious I should really pull it out more often!  This recipe is a slight variation of a recipe a friend gave me several years ago.

Chocolate Rolled Cookies

1 cup butter

2/3 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 egg

2 Tablespoons chocolate liqueur or extra strong coffee (this can be made with about 1 teaspoon of instant espresso dissolved into 2 Tablespoons warm water)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup cocoa powder

3 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1.) Sift together (or gently stir with a whisk) the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

2..)  With an electric mixer cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fully incorporated and fluffy.

2.)  Beat in egg, coffee or liqueur, and vanilla.

3.)  Add in flour/cocoa mixture about 1 cup at a time.  Blend until fully incorporated.  (If you are using a hand mixer you may need to add the last cup of flour by hand).

4.)  Divide dough into two or three large balls, place in a plastic bag and chill in the refrigerator 1-2 hours (if you’re in a hurry, you can chill the dough for about 20 minutes in the freezer).

5.)  Once chilled, work with one ball of dough at a time, and roll onto a lightly floured surface.  I find it works best to place a sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough, and then roll on top of the parchment.  This prevents the dough from sticking to your rolling pin, and you also don’t need to add as much extra flour (as you would without the parchment).

6.)  Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters and place on a baking sheet.

7.)  Place the baking sheet (with cookies on it) in the freezer about 5 minutes (this helps the dough keep it’s shape when baked).

8.)  Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes (depending on size) in a 350*F oven.

9.)  Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet a few minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.

10.)  Decorate as desired.

Recipe Source- Glorious Treats

HERE is my royal icing recipe as well as lots of decorating tips to get you started.

HERE is a decorating tutorial from Karen’s Cookies that shows several of the same decorating techniques I used for these Valentine’s cookies.

Happy Baking!

80 Responses to “Chocolate Rolled Cookies {Recipe}”

Sue — January 16, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Your cookies are SO PRETTY! Love them! Chocolate is a nice switch from sugar cookies:)

Corrine — January 16, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Adorable! I'll definitely be making these for Valentine's Day

Bea @ CancunCookies — January 16, 2011 at 8:22 pm

What a beautiful set of COOKIES, Glory! Thank you for the recipe… I'll give it a try soon…

Until tomorrow, Jennifer — January 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Thanks for the recipe…I can't wait to try it!! As always your cookies look incredble

gillianwallis — January 16, 2011 at 9:22 pm

gorgeously decorated!

atablespoonofliz — January 16, 2011 at 9:24 pm

These look amazing!

Monica — January 16, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Beautifully decorated!

Maria - Greece — January 17, 2011 at 2:04 am

Glorious bravo, it's fantastic,
    will definitely try the recipe!

Anna ♥ Sugarized — January 17, 2011 at 4:17 am

I was thinking of making chocolate cookies instead of the regular sugar cookies for V-day. Your post is so timely! =) Thanks for sharing. =)

Ninette — January 17, 2011 at 6:51 am

Wow, your tutorials are awesome. Thanks so much for sharing!

Medifast Coupon — January 17, 2011 at 7:01 am

Glorious treats does not begin to cover these delectable little beauties. These are simply picture perfect.

crustabakes — January 17, 2011 at 7:26 am

These are so crazy beautiful cookies and picture! You sure are very talented!

rowejones — January 17, 2011 at 10:56 am

The cookies are back! I love it! Truly a blog treat

Anonymous — January 17, 2011 at 11:35 am

how many cookies does this recipe make?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — January 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Re: How many cookies
    Anonymous- Opps, sorry I guess I should add that! It depends on the size of cutter you use, but I would estimate 3 dozen medium sized cookies.

Amy and Family — January 17, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I will be making these this season for sure! Thanks for the timely post! I love it when you give us the idea early enough to use it!

angie — January 17, 2011 at 5:19 pm

beautiful and inspiring! i recently started decorating cookies…can't wait to make some for valentines day this year.

Amy @ Amy Miller Designs — January 17, 2011 at 5:28 pm

They look beautiful and yummy!!

Emily — January 17, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I just made your sugar cookie recipe last night and they were great! I can't wait to try this chocolate version!!

Rochel — January 17, 2011 at 8:00 pm

So beautiful. I cannot wait to make these.

Cecilia — January 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Yay! These are so happy and cheerful! I love valentine's day treat! Beautiful!
    Love you,
    Cecilia

S King — January 18, 2011 at 6:31 am

The cookies look so beautiful. I want to make these for the Valentine's Day party with my playgroup, but was wondering how strong the coffee taste is…will they taste okay without the espresso? I doubt the 2 year old;s would be digging the coffee taste.

Paula — January 18, 2011 at 8:18 am

that`s beautiful!

have a great time,
    Paula

Glory/ Glorious Treats — January 18, 2011 at 11:45 am

S King- Yes, if you would like to omit the espresso or liqueur, I would suggest you double the vanilla extract (to 2 teaspoons). And believe it or not, adding the small amount of espresso adds almost no coffee flavor, it is simply to bring out the full chocolate flavor.
    Happy Baking!

tryityoumightlikeit — January 19, 2011 at 8:04 am

Your cookies are so gorgeous!!!
    I can't wait to bake some cookies for Valentine's Day.

Beth — January 19, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I've been looking for a *good* rolled chocolate cookie recipe for a while now. I was intrigued with the addition of the coffee (I *love* coffee) so I tried yours the day you posted it. O.M.G. What delicious cookies it makes! The first batch has been gobbled up, we're already on to the second set I made yesterday AND I have another batch of dough chilling in the fridge. Thank you so much for passing it on!

PS – these taste awesome rolled out to 3/8" and topped with orange-flavored royal icing. So much for the weight I lost last week…

GarEli — January 19, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Wowww me parece una receta ESPECTACULAR.
    La hornearé muy pronto.
    Besos

~Rosanne — January 20, 2011 at 11:53 am

I am a follower and am enjoying your blog.
    weiler6@verizon.net

Sarah-Lyn — January 21, 2011 at 8:22 am

These are SO pretty and so well done!!

SL
    ibakecupcakes.com

Erin — January 21, 2011 at 9:04 am

Beautiful cookies! I especially like the polka dots. I've never tried chocolate rolled cookies before. I'll have to try it out.

Brittany Ann — January 22, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I just finished making these and I must say I am IN LOVE!! I don't much care for sugar cookies. These are the PERFECT alternative. My household has eaten most of them before I have even had a chance to decorate!! LOVE IT!

brendag — January 24, 2011 at 9:24 am

aedmougmThe Valentine cookies are amazing.
    Brenda g

brendag — January 24, 2011 at 9:25 am

Love the Valentine cookies brendag

brendag — January 24, 2011 at 9:26 am

Love the Valentine cookies Brendag

Anonymous — January 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm

These look wonderful but I am having trouble finding chocolate liqueur. I even tried a cooking specialty store. After looking online someone commented that you might be able to substitute melted unsweetened chocolate. Would that work?

Nichole — January 25, 2011 at 3:22 am

Do you perfer to use the liqueur or the coffee? These look so yummy. Thank You for posting

CookiesKids.com — January 31, 2011 at 2:17 pm

These look so good – I can't wait to try them!

Kathy — January 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I was at the event that Glory brought these to and I sneaked one in my purse to bring home. Just had to show my family. They taste great too! Can you blame me?

Bek — February 8, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Thank you for sharing your recipe. Tastes fabulous!

Jen — February 10, 2011 at 4:31 am

You were an inspiration in my cookie decorating this week! http://www.thesellers.net/2011/02/operation-cookie-bake/

jennifer.chorazy — February 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Just made these…. OMG they are fabulous! And I haven't even added icing yet! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Tammie — February 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm

As usual your cookies are beautiful! I used your post as inspiration and made these as gifts and thought they came out really great. The cookies are yummy with or with out icing. Unfortunately, my icing was still tacky on top after leaving them dry overnight. I ended up having to put sanding sugar on the tops in order to put them in cellophane bags. I have only worked with royal icing 5 times and 2 of those times my icing came out this way. The first time I blamed the Wilton coloring for it but this time I used Americolor. If you can tell me what it is you think I'm doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

vanessa — March 22, 2011 at 6:37 am

may i know if i could mix is using a wisk/spoon instead of an electric mixer?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — March 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Tammie- It usually takes a full 12 hours to dry cookies flooded with royal icing. If you are finding they are not dry after this amount of time, you may be adding too much water to your icing, or you may have too much humidity in your home. I live in a dry climate, but I know humidity can be a problem.

Vaness- It will be more difficult, but I think you could make this dough by hand. It will just take a bit of kneading to incorporate all of the dry ingredients.

Making of a Mom — February 8, 2012 at 11:58 am

LOVE these! They have been feature in my Valentine Treat post published today! You can check it out here:

Kristen — December 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Can iced cookies be frozen or will it be ruined once thawed?

• Glory replied: — December 12th, 2012 @ 4:55 am

You can freeze undecorated cookies, but I would not recommend freezing decorated cookies. Very likely as the (decorated) cookies thaw you icing with bleed together a bit.

• Glory replied: — December 12th, 2012 @ 4:56 am

Opps, sorry, typing too fast…. “your icing will bleed…”

Simone — January 11, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I love these! They are adorable! Every time I go to click on the icing link and the tutorial link it just takes me back to the main page. Help?

RJ — January 16, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Do you use regular or Dutch processed cocoa powder in this recipe?

Joanna — January 18, 2013 at 2:04 am

Can u please tell what can I use instead of strong coffee to make this recipe kid friendly? Thank you very much

Lizet — January 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Hi, I made these cookies and they were really good. I posted your recipe in my blog in english and spanish, so now all my friends in South America can make them too. :)

ElVIA ARELLANO — February 3, 2013 at 9:44 pm

MUY BUENA SU RECETA DE GALLETA DE CHOCOLATE, YA LA HICE Y ME SALIO SENSACIONAL GRACIAS POR COMPARTIR

BESOS

ELVIA

marilynr — February 6, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Fantastic cookies! I made them without the baking soda, and they were a little bitter. I wanted to leave out the leavening, so they would not puff out. Is the baking soda in the recipe for leavening, or to balance the acidity of the chocolate?

This is now my go-to recipe!

Oksana B. — February 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Hello!! How far in advance can I bake the cookies? I would like to decorate them the night before Valentine’s and didn’t know how early the cookies could be baked? Suggestions?

Debora — February 12, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Made there today filled with vanilla icecream and delecious!

Rebecca — February 13, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Thanks for the gorgeous recipe and photos! Can this recipe be halved? Thanks so much : )

Alvar — August 30, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I made some 5 inch cookies with this recipe but they break easily, what should I change to make them sturdier?, thank you in advance and God Bless You.

• Glory replied: — September 18th, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

Hi Alvar, Yes, the cookies are quite delicate when they are still warm, but once they cool it should not be much of a problem. If yours were too soft even when cool I might suggest baking them just a bit longer.

Julianne — September 10, 2013 at 11:50 am

I made these last night. I rolled out the dough before I chilled in, then kept it in the fridge for a full 12 hours before cutting out the shapes. Despite this, I only managed to cut a few before the dough became so soft that the shapes got distorted when I tried moving them! Even though I returned the cut shapes to the fridge for another 24 hours and put them in the freezer for 15 mins while the oven was heating up, they still puffed up and spread quite a lot. On 2″ cookies they spread 1/4″. If I try these again I think I’ll leave out the baking soda.

• Glory replied: — September 18th, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

Hi Julianne, I’m going to guess maybe you live in a super warm climate? This dough can get a bit soft when warm, but is usually quite nice to work with once chilled. The dough will spread a small amount, although it’s never been enough to bother me. If it’s more than you like, then yes, feel free to remove the baking soda and that will help. Happy baking!

Greta — February 14, 2014 at 12:29 pm

These were amazing. Literally tasted like brownie cookies! But how long do they last?

• Glory replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 6:07 pm

Hi Greta, So glad you enjoyed them! The cookies will remain fresh and delicious about a week (stored in an airtight container, or favor bag).

Jayne — February 15, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Glory, this is the best rolled chocolate cookie recipe I ever made. The dough is so easy to work with and is delish. Made the valentine hearts and everyone thought they were store bought. Love your vanilla cookie and your chocolate cupcake recipe also! Love your stuff! Thank you. Jayne

• Glory replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 6:08 pm

Thanks so much for your sweet comment! So glad you enjoyed them!

Belinda — February 16, 2014 at 4:18 am

Thanks for sharing these cookies! They look amazing! I just finished icing mine and they taste delicious :)

• Glory replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 6:08 pm

Wonderful, so glad you enjoyed them!

1. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Peppermint Candy Decorated Cookies

2. Pingback: 300 Lovely Valentine and Valentine's Day Crafts

3. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Valentine’s Heart Cookie Boxes

4. Pingback: Valentines Day DIY ideas | theparentingfiles

5. Pingback: Valen-DINE’s Day | Jen's Baking

6. Pingback: Valentine's Yummy Cookies!

7. Pingback: Valentine’s Day {Baking Anniversary}